where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Is there any method to test strength of brazing joint?
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

YXLON International GmbH
X-ray and CT based NDT systems for a wide range of industrial applications.

09:24 Oct-25-2002
Zongjie.C
Is there any method to test strength of brazing joint?

Dear colleagues, I have a questions about the ultrasonic testing of interface of brazing joint or diffusion welding joint.Recent work mainly focused on the defect testing of the joint. Is there any UT method or other method to test the strength of the interface of brazing or diffusion welding joint? Please do me a favor!Thank you!

Yours Sincerely
Zongjie.C

09:49 Oct-25-2002

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Is there any method to test strength of brazing joint? : Dear colleagues, I have a questions about the ultrasonic testing of interface of brazing joint or diffusion welding joint.Recent work mainly focused on the defect testing of the joint. Is there any UT method or other method to test the strength of the interface of brazing or diffusion welding joint? Please do me a favor!Thank you!
: Yours Sincerely
: Zongjie.C

Dear Zongjie,
Depends if you have large numbers of parts to test.
Quasar Resonant Inspection (marketed by our company, or by Quasar International in USA) tests structural integrity of copmonents, but only really suitable for mass production applications.
If this is your application, send me an email.
Godfrey@hands-ndt.co.uk

Regards,

Godfrey Hands.

05:53 Oct-25-2002
Sean S. Franklin
Re: Is there any method to test strength of brazing joint? Yes Zongjie, another ndt method would be the use of resistivity, the basic principle of electronics. The nondestructive resistivity testing technique can be used to determine the uniformity of filler materials and helps detect areas where voids may exist.

NDT Automation’s M100A Metal Inspector uses resistivity to help reduce the guesswork involved in brazing applications. For additional information, please contact me. If you wish, you may chose to send a sample to our facility.

Physical Acoustics Corporation/NDT Automation
195 Clarksville Road
Princeton Junction, NJ 08550
Sean Franklin
609-716-4088
Sfranklin@NDTAutomation.com
www.PACNDT.com
www.ndtautomation.com

: Dear colleagues, I have a questions about the ultrasonic testing of interface of brazing joint or diffusion welding joint.Recent work mainly focused on the defect testing of the joint. Is there any UT method or other method to test the strength of the interface of brazing or diffusion welding joint? Please do me a favor!Thank you!
: Yours Sincerely
: Zongjie.C

06:44 Oct-25-2002

Randy Plis

Sales,
Metals Testing Company,
USA,
Joined Jun 2002
Re: Is there any method to test strength of brazing joint? Inspection of braze joints are routinity done by Ultrasonics. What is lacking is a comparative tabulation of UT signal characteristics and corresponding braze strengths for your specific material and geometry. Ideally, this would be done by an area related summation (i.e., UT C-Scan).

What needs to be done is to manufacture a range of samples that intentionally vary the braze process to create a range of bondline strengths of interest. Once available, the samples should then be nondestructive tested (NDT) to form a database. Once NDT is complete, then the bondlines should be destructively tested (DT) to quantify their braze strength. The DT and NDT data can then to compare to create a cross reference lookup table so that DT is no longer necessary in the future (ideally).

Such an NDT service (i.e., UT C-Scan imaging)can be contracted to an inspection house such as Metals Testing Company (see our exhibit stand or home page www.mtc62.com). DT can also be contracted to third party companies dedicated to provide that service.

Best regards,
Randy Plis

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|