where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Zongjie.C
Zongjie.C
09:24 Oct-25-2002
Is there any method to test strength of brazing joint?

Dear colleagues, I have a questions about the ultrasonic testing of interface of brazing joint or diffusion welding joint.Recent work mainly focused on the defect testing of the joint. Is there any UT method or other method to test the strength of the interface of brazing or diffusion welding joint? Please do me a favor!Thank you!

Yours Sincerely
Zongjie.C

Godfrey Hands
Engineering,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 289

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
09:49 Oct-25-2002
Re: Is there any method to test strength of brazing joint?
: Dear colleagues, I have a questions about the ultrasonic testing of interface of brazing joint or diffusion welding joint.Recent work mainly focused on the defect testing of the joint. Is there any UT method or other method to test the strength of the interface of brazing or diffusion welding joint? Please do me a favor!Thank you!
: Yours Sincerely
: Zongjie.C

Dear Zongjie,
Depends if you have large numbers of parts to test.
Quasar Resonant Inspection (marketed by our company, or by Quasar International in USA) tests structural integrity of copmonents, but only really suitable for mass production applications.
If this is your application, send me an email.
Godfrey@hands-ndt.co.uk

Regards,

Godfrey Hands.

Sean S. Franklin
Sean S. Franklin
05:53 Oct-25-2002
Yes Zongjie, another ndt method would be the use of resistivity, the basic principle of electronics. The nondestructive resistivity testing technique can be used to determine the uniformity of filler materials and helps detect areas where voids may exist.

NDT Automation’s M100A Metal Inspector uses resistivity to help reduce the guesswork involved in brazing applications. For additional information, please contact me. If you wish, you may chose to send a sample to our facility.

Physical Acoustics Corporation/NDT Automation
195 Clarksville Road
Princeton Junction, NJ 08550
Sean Franklin
609-716-4088
Sfranklin@NDTAutomation.com
www.PACNDT.com
www.ndtautomation.com

: Dear colleagues, I have a questions about the ultrasonic testing of interface of brazing joint or diffusion welding joint.Recent work mainly focused on the defect testing of the joint. Is there any UT method or other method to test the strength of the interface of brazing or diffusion welding joint? Please do me a favor!Thank you!
: Yours Sincerely
: Zongjie.C

Randy Plis
Sales,
Metals Testing Company, USA, Joined Jun 2002, 9

Randy Plis

Sales,
Metals Testing Company,
USA,
Joined Jun 2002
06:44 Oct-25-2002
Inspection of braze joints are routinity done by Ultrasonics. What is lacking is a comparative tabulation of UT signal characteristics and corresponding braze strengths for your specific material and geometry. Ideally, this would be done by an area related summation (i.e., UT C-Scan).

What needs to be done is to manufacture a range of samples that intentionally vary the braze process to create a range of bondline strengths of interest. Once available, the samples should then be nondestructive tested (NDT) to form a database. Once NDT is complete, then the bondlines should be destructively tested (DT) to quantify their braze strength. The DT and NDT data can then to compare to create a cross reference lookup table so that DT is no longer necessary in the future (ideally).

Such an NDT service (i.e., UT C-Scan imaging)can be contracted to an inspection house such as Metals Testing Company (see our exhibit stand or home page www.mtc62.com). DT can also be contracted to third party companies dedicated to provide that service.

Best regards,
Randy Plis

Product Spotlight

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window