where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

EKOSCAN
EKOSCAN is a French manufacturer specialized in equipment for ultrasonic Non Destructive Testing: Probes,UT boards & Scanners tailored for your needs

Technical Discussions
Dave Utrata
Dave Utrata
08:54 Nov-08-2002
inclusions in SS coil

Hello,
I've been looking for a method that can detect inclusions in stainless steel coil. The coil will have a thickness of about 0.188 inches. I'd assume that an electromagnetic test has been used in this application, but have found no evidence of such.
I'd appreciate any help or direction to alternative inspections.

thanks,
Dave

Sean Franklin
Sean Franklin
09:53 Nov-08-2002
Re: inclusions in SS coil
Dave,

The use of Resistivity as a NDT method for detecting small inclusions in st. stl. can be used. The theory of resistivity involves the ways that materials conduct or resist the flow of electricity and plays an important role in the study of metals.

Every metal alloy has its unique level and characteristics of electrical resistivity. Within the same alloy specimen, resistivity varies with the composition of the material and internal structure and/or defects.

NDT Automation's (A division of Physical Acoustics Corporation) M100A Resistivity Metal Inspector provides rapid and accurate measurements of electrical resistivity. It's portable, durable, efficient and economical, and very simple to use.

For further information or if you wish to send us a sample for testing, feel free to contact Sean Franklin at 609-716-4088 or SFranklin@NDTAutomation.com

: Hello,
: I've been looking for a method that can detect inclusions in stainless steel coil. The coil will have a thickness of about 0.188 inches. I'd assume that an electromagnetic test has been used in this application, but have found no evidence of such.
: I'd appreciate any help or direction to alternative inspections.
: thanks,
: Dave

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
08:22 Nov-10-2002
Re: inclusions in SS coil
Hello, could you please tell us a little more about the type of stainless steel and the size of the inclusions that are to be detected. Electromagnetic Methods do appear to be the best bet, but we need more information. By the way UT has been used for detection of inclusions in steels!

S.V.Swamy,
ASNT Level III (RT, UT)

: Dave,
: The use of Resistivity as a NDT method for detecting small inclusions in st. stl. can be used. The theory of resistivity involves the ways that materials conduct or resist the flow of electricity and plays an important role in the study of metals.
: Every metal alloy has its unique level and characteristics of electrical resistivity. Within the same alloy specimen, resistivity varies with the composition of the material and internal structure and/or defects.
: NDT Automation's (A division of Physical Acoustics Corporation) M100A Resistivity Metal Inspector provides rapid and accurate measurements of electrical resistivity. It's portable, durable, efficient and economical, and very simple to use.
: For further information or if you wish to send us a sample for testing, feel free to contact Sean Franklin at 609-716-4088 or SFranklin@NDTAutomation.com
:
: : Hello,
: : I've been looking for a method that can detect inclusions in stainless steel coil. The coil will have a thickness of about 0.188 inches. I'd assume that an electromagnetic test has been used in this application, but have found no evidence of such.
: : I'd appreciate any help or direction to alternative inspections.
: .
: : thanks,
: : Dave
: .

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window