where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
inclusions in SS coil
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

08:54 Nov-08-2002
Dave Utrata
inclusions in SS coil

Hello,
I've been looking for a method that can detect inclusions in stainless steel coil. The coil will have a thickness of about 0.188 inches. I'd assume that an electromagnetic test has been used in this application, but have found no evidence of such.
I'd appreciate any help or direction to alternative inspections.

thanks,
Dave

09:53 Nov-08-2002
Sean Franklin
Re: inclusions in SS coil Dave,

The use of Resistivity as a NDT method for detecting small inclusions in st. stl. can be used. The theory of resistivity involves the ways that materials conduct or resist the flow of electricity and plays an important role in the study of metals.

Every metal alloy has its unique level and characteristics of electrical resistivity. Within the same alloy specimen, resistivity varies with the composition of the material and internal structure and/or defects.

NDT Automation's (A division of Physical Acoustics Corporation) M100A Resistivity Metal Inspector provides rapid and accurate measurements of electrical resistivity. It's portable, durable, efficient and economical, and very simple to use.

For further information or if you wish to send us a sample for testing, feel free to contact Sean Franklin at 609-716-4088 or SFranklin@NDTAutomation.com

: Hello,
: I've been looking for a method that can detect inclusions in stainless steel coil. The coil will have a thickness of about 0.188 inches. I'd assume that an electromagnetic test has been used in this application, but have found no evidence of such.
: I'd appreciate any help or direction to alternative inspections.
: thanks,
: Dave

08:22 Nov-10-2002

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: inclusions in SS coil Hello, could you please tell us a little more about the type of stainless steel and the size of the inclusions that are to be detected. Electromagnetic Methods do appear to be the best bet, but we need more information. By the way UT has been used for detection of inclusions in steels!

S.V.Swamy,
ASNT Level III (RT, UT)

: Dave,
: The use of Resistivity as a NDT method for detecting small inclusions in st. stl. can be used. The theory of resistivity involves the ways that materials conduct or resist the flow of electricity and plays an important role in the study of metals.
: Every metal alloy has its unique level and characteristics of electrical resistivity. Within the same alloy specimen, resistivity varies with the composition of the material and internal structure and/or defects.
: NDT Automation's (A division of Physical Acoustics Corporation) M100A Resistivity Metal Inspector provides rapid and accurate measurements of electrical resistivity. It's portable, durable, efficient and economical, and very simple to use.
: For further information or if you wish to send us a sample for testing, feel free to contact Sean Franklin at 609-716-4088 or SFranklin@NDTAutomation.com
:
: : Hello,
: : I've been looking for a method that can detect inclusions in stainless steel coil. The coil will have a thickness of about 0.188 inches. I'd assume that an electromagnetic test has been used in this application, but have found no evidence of such.
: : I'd appreciate any help or direction to alternative inspections.
: .
: : thanks,
: : Dave
: .

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|