where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Inspection of eddy current with Rotary scanner
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

AT-Automation Technology GmbH
AT -Automation Technology is a systems house for industrial image processing. AT offers thermographic ndt systems as well as high-speed 3D sensors.

07:33 Nov-14-2002

Andrés Gonzlaez

NDT Inspector
Colombia,
Joined Oct 2002
Inspection of eddy current with Rotary scanner

I´m working at moment in inspections of holes with Eddy current ( Rotary Scanner ).
I have had many problems during the inspections in edges and layes interfaces in materials.of aluminium and steel
I want to find information about the inspections of eddy current with Rotary Scanner.
Somebody can help me with the following topics:

1. Filter adjustments for a good inspection.
2. Signal evaluation to be able to distinguish the crack indications from other variables.
3. Causes for indications that may be confused with cracks
4. General information about inspections with Rotary Scanner

Regards
Andrés G.

02:09 Oct-07-2017
John
Re: Inspection of eddy current with Rotary scanner In Reply to Andrés Gonzlaez at 07:33 Nov-14-2002 (Opening).

Did you manage to obtain any information with regards to your question?

12:21 Oct-07-2017

John Hansen

Director, - Eddy Current Technology
ETher NDE Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Inspection of eddy current with Rotary scanner In Reply to John at 02:09 Oct-07-2017 .

Hi

Boeing are about to release a new NTM for rotary hole inspection and Airbus have a pretty good NTM already.

1) The usual requirement is to set the LP filter 2.5 to 4 times higher than the HP and using a notch in a hole (or the Airbus type split standards) then set the notch response vertical and adjust the HP filter until you get a W on the time base (height of 2 negative parts equal). I understand some ec equipment cannot do the filter optimisation well owing to using incorrect types of filters.

2/3) cracks should be similar to the notch but rotated clockwise. Mechanical damage and corrosion rotated anti clockwise. Ferrous shims can give a very odd signal bit will not look like a notch or crack.

All the best

John Hansen MD - ETher NDE

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|