where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Liquid Level in Halon Bottles
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:27 Nov-22-2002

Tim Heimel

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined May 2001
Liquid Level in Halon Bottles

Colleagues -
Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Tim Heimel

07:49 Nov-22-2002
Jim Knowles
Re: Liquid Level in Halon Bottles : Colleagues -
: Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.

Velocity in liquid Halon is around ~800m/s
Calibrate your PE system for the far side of the container.
Alternatively try a through transmission technique.
: Thanks in advance for any replies.
: Tim Heimel

02:18 Nov-22-2002

John Pursley

R & D
Envision Product Design,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Liquid Level in Halon Bottles Tim:
We have had success using infrared scanners and/or non-contact temperature probes along with hot water to measure halon levels in vertical cylinders located in oil facilities in Alaska. Hot water is poured down the outside of the cylinder, then the surface temperature is scanned with a non-contact IR sensor to discover the halon liquid level in the cylinder.

: Colleagues -
: Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.
: Thanks in advance for any replies.
: Tim Heimel

05:42 Nov-23-2002

Tim Heimel

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined May 2001
Re: Liquid Level in Halon Bottles : : Colleagues -
: : Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.

Thanks to all for the prompt & informed responses. I will try some of them next week and let the group know it turns out.

Tim
: Velocity in liquid Halon is around ~800m/s
: Calibrate your PE system for the far side of the container.
: Alternatively try a through transmission technique.
: : Thanks in advance for any replies.
: : Tim Heimel
: .

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|