where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

IDEKO S.Coop
We provide Precision, Quality, Reliability and Productivity in manufacturing processes among our knowledge of Inspection and measurement technologies

Technical Discussions
Tim Heimel
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined May 2001, 2

Tim Heimel

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined May 2001
07:27 Nov-22-2002
Liquid Level in Halon Bottles

Colleagues -
Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Tim Heimel

Jim Knowles
Jim Knowles
07:49 Nov-22-2002
Re: Liquid Level in Halon Bottles
: Colleagues -
: Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.

Velocity in liquid Halon is around ~800m/s
Calibrate your PE system for the far side of the container.
Alternatively try a through transmission technique.
: Thanks in advance for any replies.
: Tim Heimel

John Pursley
R & D
Envision Product Design, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 23

John Pursley

R & D
Envision Product Design,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
02:18 Nov-22-2002
Tim:
We have had success using infrared scanners and/or non-contact temperature probes along with hot water to measure halon levels in vertical cylinders located in oil facilities in Alaska. Hot water is poured down the outside of the cylinder, then the surface temperature is scanned with a non-contact IR sensor to discover the halon liquid level in the cylinder.

: Colleagues -
: Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.
: Thanks in advance for any replies.
: Tim Heimel

Tim Heimel
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined May 2001, 2

Tim Heimel

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined May 2001
05:42 Nov-23-2002
: : Colleagues -
: : Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.

Thanks to all for the prompt & informed responses. I will try some of them next week and let the group know it turns out.

Tim
: Velocity in liquid Halon is around ~800m/s
: Calibrate your PE system for the far side of the container.
: Alternatively try a through transmission technique.
: : Thanks in advance for any replies.
: : Tim Heimel
: .

Product Spotlight

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s