where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Acoustic Emission Consulting, Inc.
Acoustic Emission Consulting, Inc. specializes in the design of small portable AE instruments for field and lab use.

Technical Discussions
Tim Heimel
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined May 2001, 2

Tim Heimel

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined May 2001
07:27 Nov-22-2002
Liquid Level in Halon Bottles

Colleagues -
Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Tim Heimel

Jim Knowles
Jim Knowles
07:49 Nov-22-2002
Re: Liquid Level in Halon Bottles
: Colleagues -
: Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.

Velocity in liquid Halon is around ~800m/s
Calibrate your PE system for the far side of the container.
Alternatively try a through transmission technique.
: Thanks in advance for any replies.
: Tim Heimel

John Pursley
R & D
Envision Product Design, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 23

John Pursley

R & D
Envision Product Design,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
02:18 Nov-22-2002
Tim:
We have had success using infrared scanners and/or non-contact temperature probes along with hot water to measure halon levels in vertical cylinders located in oil facilities in Alaska. Hot water is poured down the outside of the cylinder, then the surface temperature is scanned with a non-contact IR sensor to discover the halon liquid level in the cylinder.

: Colleagues -
: Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.
: Thanks in advance for any replies.
: Tim Heimel

Tim Heimel
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined May 2001, 2

Tim Heimel

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined May 2001
05:42 Nov-23-2002
: : Colleagues -
: : Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.

Thanks to all for the prompt & informed responses. I will try some of them next week and let the group know it turns out.

Tim
: Velocity in liquid Halon is around ~800m/s
: Calibrate your PE system for the far side of the container.
: Alternatively try a through transmission technique.
: : Thanks in advance for any replies.
: : Tim Heimel
: .

Product Spotlight

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window