where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Tim Heimel
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined May 2001, 2

Tim Heimel

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined May 2001
07:27 Nov-22-2002
Liquid Level in Halon Bottles

Colleagues -
Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Tim Heimel

Jim Knowles
Jim Knowles
07:49 Nov-22-2002
Re: Liquid Level in Halon Bottles
: Colleagues -
: Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.

Velocity in liquid Halon is around ~800m/s
Calibrate your PE system for the far side of the container.
Alternatively try a through transmission technique.
: Thanks in advance for any replies.
: Tim Heimel

John Pursley
R & D
Envision Product Design, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 23

John Pursley

R & D
Envision Product Design,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
02:18 Nov-22-2002
Tim:
We have had success using infrared scanners and/or non-contact temperature probes along with hot water to measure halon levels in vertical cylinders located in oil facilities in Alaska. Hot water is poured down the outside of the cylinder, then the surface temperature is scanned with a non-contact IR sensor to discover the halon liquid level in the cylinder.

: Colleagues -
: Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.
: Thanks in advance for any replies.
: Tim Heimel

Tim Heimel
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined May 2001, 2

Tim Heimel

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined May 2001
05:42 Nov-23-2002
: : Colleagues -
: : Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.

Thanks to all for the prompt & informed responses. I will try some of them next week and let the group know it turns out.

Tim
: Velocity in liquid Halon is around ~800m/s
: Calibrate your PE system for the far side of the container.
: Alternatively try a through transmission technique.
: : Thanks in advance for any replies.
: : Tim Heimel
: .

Product Spotlight

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window