where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

IMG ULTRASUONI SRL
Ultrasonic transducers for industrial applications (NDT) and medical (Doppler effect). Probes, Ultrasonic instruments, Special systems for NDT.
Technical Discussions
Tim Heimel
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined May 2001, 2

Tim Heimel

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined May 2001
07:27 Nov-22-2002
Liquid Level in Halon Bottles

Colleagues -
Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Tim Heimel

Jim Knowles
Jim Knowles
07:49 Nov-22-2002
Re: Liquid Level in Halon Bottles
: Colleagues -
: Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.

Velocity in liquid Halon is around ~800m/s
Calibrate your PE system for the far side of the container.
Alternatively try a through transmission technique.
: Thanks in advance for any replies.
: Tim Heimel

John Pursley
R & D
Envision Product Design, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 23

John Pursley

R & D
Envision Product Design,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
02:18 Nov-22-2002
Tim:
We have had success using infrared scanners and/or non-contact temperature probes along with hot water to measure halon levels in vertical cylinders located in oil facilities in Alaska. Hot water is poured down the outside of the cylinder, then the surface temperature is scanned with a non-contact IR sensor to discover the halon liquid level in the cylinder.

: Colleagues -
: Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.
: Thanks in advance for any replies.
: Tim Heimel

Tim Heimel
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined May 2001, 2

Tim Heimel

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined May 2001
05:42 Nov-23-2002
: : Colleagues -
: : Has anyone had success in applying UT techniques to detect the liquid level in vertically mounted halon cylinders? Available equipment is Epoch III flaw detector and standard contact probes. Thus far I have had no success due to uncertainty of acoustic properties of halon and lack of a perceptible change in bottle/halon interface using existing instrumentation. Before I embark on further research, I am posting this request.

Thanks to all for the prompt & informed responses. I will try some of them next week and let the group know it turns out.

Tim
: Velocity in liquid Halon is around ~800m/s
: Calibrate your PE system for the far side of the container.
: Alternatively try a through transmission technique.
: : Thanks in advance for any replies.
: : Tim Heimel
: .

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Probe Recharacterization Service

NDT Systems offers a comprehensive Aftercare and Recharacterization Service for all our ultrasonic
probes. The Recharacterization Service is fully compliant with International ASTM E1065 Standard Guide (and other applicable standards) and offers complete documentation, traceable to the ASTM E1065 Standard. For more details or to schedule Recharacterization Services contact ndtsales@ndtsystems.com
>

GUL Subsea Solutions - Screeening & Monitoring

To inspect new and existing subsea lines, you need proven technology and experience. GUL offers it's
technology to solve this challenge: GUL Subsea and gMAT Transducer Rings.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

TraiNDE UT

TraiNDE UT is a virtual tool associated with a signal database which simulates real inspection con
ditions for numerous applications (Type A/V1 block, DAC block, welds and plates).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window