where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Color palettes for C-scan presentation
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Controle Mesure Systemes
Contrôle Mesure Systèmes designs, develops and manufactures nearly 30 years a complete NDT range of products in eddy current and ultrasonic testing methods.

09:03 Nov-24-2002

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
Color palettes for C-scan presentation

We are going to be implementing a new, digital c-scan system at our facility. I am being asked to justify the color palette that we determine to use. We basically have three levels of indication we are concerned with - acceptable, reportable/evaluate, and rejectable.
Does anyone have any information on the preferred combination of colors for such a palette?
Thank you!

00:18 Nov-24-2002

Joe Buckley, Sonatest PLc

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Color palettes for C-scan presentation David

there are a number of issues here,

Any modern C-scan software should give you a wide variety of colour options. I certainly wouldn't accept something where the colours are 'hard-coded' - You should get an absolute minimum of 16 colours, and preferably 256 or more.

If you want only three colours the 'traffic light' option id readily understood, i.e green good, Red bad, amber/yello marginal. You mave other concerns, such as a selection that will photocopy well.

If you use multiple colours then the normal appraoch seems to be greyscale for interpretation, and 'rainbow' for showing to management.

Joe

: We are going to be implementing a new, digital c-scan system at our facility. I am being asked to justify the color palette that we determine to use. We basically have three levels of indication we are concerned with - acceptable, reportable/evaluate, and rejectable.
: Does anyone have any information on the preferred combination of colors for such a palette?
: Thank you!

01:10 Nov-25-2002

Tim MacInnis

Senior NDT Engineer
SAIC/Ultra Iamge International,
USA,
Joined Dec 1999
Re: Color palettes for C-scan presentation If you are implementing a digital system then the user interface should allow a range inherent to the
capabilities of digital equipment. i.e. 16 to 256 bit color definitions. The user should be allowed to limit
the number of colors used. If you are implementing a go/no-go procedure then in the procedure limit the
color usage.
Other features to add or incorporate:
grey scale
reverse palette
scale palette
window palette

01:42 Nov-25-2002

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
Re: Color palettes for C-scan presentation Thanks for the input. Possibly I should clarify my question - I want to ensure maximum visibility ("seeability" in the old penetrant terminology) of the indications, and am looking for any study or data that might indicate the best combination of colors. Or is gray scale better? Hopefully that clarifies a bit.

04:19 Nov-26-2002

Tim MacInnis

Senior NDT Engineer
SAIC/Ultra Iamge International,
USA,
Joined Dec 1999
Re: Color palettes for C-scan presentation The human eye is especially sensitive to red light, green light, and blue light. The eye is most sensitive to wavelengths in the blue spectrum. The combination of green and red is not the best choice as 7% off the male population can not distinguish between green and red. There were studies performed in the early 60's from Hopkins (MacNichol) as well as Harvard (Wald) regarding the topic.
My suggestion for a minimum color palette is to stay in the blue and red spectrums for indications with a softer background color, yellow/orange, for good areas. I would always have a grey scale option.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|