where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Mobile-Friendly Implementation in Progress

Technical Discussions
SEAN LEYLAND
SEAN LEYLAND
03:29 Nov-25-2002
project: acoustic testing of metal/rails

I am a final year engineering student at Salford university england. For my final year project i am attempting to design a device which attaches to a railway tracks and can detect the cracks or any structural fatigue, using acoustics pulses transmitted at the rail and retrieved via a speaker system.i was wondering if you know of any research that has been done in this area using this sort of system. i would GREATLY appreciate if you could suggest any way by which i might go about this with regards to the transmitting/receiving equipment needed and any system i could use to analyse the data this is what i am having the big problem with.
Any information at all would be of great help including any books you could recommend.

Thank you for your time.
Sean Leyland

John Hansen
Director, - Eddy Current Technology
ETher NDE Ltd, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 71

John Hansen

Director, - Eddy Current Technology
ETher NDE Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
08:14 Nov-25-2002
Re: project: acoustic testing of metal/rails
Sean

Peter Mudge of Plant Integrity gave a paper on this type of inspection at Railway Engineering 2002. Maybe if you cantact him he could send a copy of the paper. e mail is pjmudge@twi.co.uk

Prof Peter Cawley at Imperial College email p.cawley@ic.ac.uk is also a good contact on this.

Any problems contact me directly.

Good Luck

John Hansen

Ingolf Hertlin
Ingolf Hertlin
09:12 Nov-25-2002
Re: project: acoustic testing of metal/rails
: I am a final year engineering student at Salford university england. For my final year project i am attempting to design a device which attaches to a railway tracks and can detect the cracks or any structural fatigue, using acoustics pulses transmitted at the rail and retrieved via a speaker system.i was wondering if you know of any research that has been done in this area using this sort of system. i would GREATLY appreciate if you could suggest any way by which i might go about this with regards to the transmitting/receiving equipment needed and any system i could use to analyse the data this is what i am having the big problem with.
: Any information at all would be of great help including any books you could recommend.
: Thank you for your time.
: Sean Leyland

RTE Akustik + Prueftechnik in Germany is specialized on acoustic material testing using Resonant Analysis. We have a powerful product (LC-Vibro) which you can use as a device to implement the acoustic testing. Be aware that acoustic analysis is a comparative method and needs a reference basis. A short product description can be seen on our home page www.rte.de (also in English).
Best regards
Ingolf Hertlin

Spot weld inspection with Phased Array – PHAsis.one
The first PAUT spot weld inspection device offering a physical resolution of the spot weld
VOGT Ultrasonics GmbH
3 Showcases Product Video

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts
Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small
TD NDE
5 Showcases 3 Videos

Ultrasonic Flaw Detector & Thickness Gauge: Smartor
SIUI’s newly launched Smartor is a combination of ultrasonic testing and ultrasonic thickness
SIUI (Shantou Institute of Ultrasonic Instruments Co.,Ltd)
6 Showcases 4 Videos

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)
A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory
Varex Imaging

More Showcases

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window