where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
project: acoustic testing of metal/rails
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

PBP Optel sp. z o.o.
We are searching new ways - in ultrasonic techniques - in creation of new products

03:29 Nov-25-2002
SEAN LEYLAND
project: acoustic testing of metal/rails

I am a final year engineering student at Salford university england. For my final year project i am attempting to design a device which attaches to a railway tracks and can detect the cracks or any structural fatigue, using acoustics pulses transmitted at the rail and retrieved via a speaker system.i was wondering if you know of any research that has been done in this area using this sort of system. i would GREATLY appreciate if you could suggest any way by which i might go about this with regards to the transmitting/receiving equipment needed and any system i could use to analyse the data this is what i am having the big problem with.
Any information at all would be of great help including any books you could recommend.

Thank you for your time.
Sean Leyland

08:14 Nov-25-2002

John Hansen

Director, - Eddy Current Technology
ETher NDE Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: project: acoustic testing of metal/rails Sean

Peter Mudge of Plant Integrity gave a paper on this type of inspection at Railway Engineering 2002. Maybe if you cantact him he could send a copy of the paper. e mail is pjmudge@twi.co.uk

Prof Peter Cawley at Imperial College email p.cawley@ic.ac.uk is also a good contact on this.

Any problems contact me directly.

Good Luck

John Hansen

09:12 Nov-25-2002
Ingolf Hertlin
Re: project: acoustic testing of metal/rails : I am a final year engineering student at Salford university england. For my final year project i am attempting to design a device which attaches to a railway tracks and can detect the cracks or any structural fatigue, using acoustics pulses transmitted at the rail and retrieved via a speaker system.i was wondering if you know of any research that has been done in this area using this sort of system. i would GREATLY appreciate if you could suggest any way by which i might go about this with regards to the transmitting/receiving equipment needed and any system i could use to analyse the data this is what i am having the big problem with.
: Any information at all would be of great help including any books you could recommend.
: Thank you for your time.
: Sean Leyland

RTE Akustik + Prueftechnik in Germany is specialized on acoustic material testing using Resonant Analysis. We have a powerful product (LC-Vibro) which you can use as a device to implement the acoustic testing. Be aware that acoustic analysis is a comparative method and needs a reference basis. A short product description can be seen on our home page www.rte.de (also in English).
Best regards
Ingolf Hertlin

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|