where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
S S Ananthan
S S Ananthan
08:53 Dec-06-2002
Accepting cluster pores

Hello,

I am having a component with a lot of cluster pores as seen in RT. There is no construction code for this product. There is no slg / LOP, LOF or any other defects. On what basis do I accept or reject the component ? Is there any way of calculating the acceptabilty ?

Ananthan

John Woollven
John Woollven
03:30 Dec-06-2002
Re: Accepting cluster pores
: Hello,
: I am having a component with a lot of cluster pores as seen in RT. There is no construction code for this product. There is no slg / LOP, LOF or any other defects. On what basis do I accept or reject the component ? Is there any way of calculating the acceptabilty ?
: Ananthan
You indicate that there "is no construction code for this product" so presumably radiography was carried out as a quality control check. This often leads to problems when defects are disclosed - the fabricator will claim that there were no specifications regarding porosity, so he is in the clear; the customer believes that he has a defective product but cannot cite a code reference and as a result nobody is happy.

There is no easy answer - the decision to accept or reject has to be based on factors such as the type and thickness of material, the operating conditions, and the end usage of the product. Cluster porosity is often just a cosmetic defect but in a pressure retaining component, for example, it may be rejectable.

John

Nick Welland
Nick Welland
03:36 Dec-06-2002
: Hello,
: I am having a component with a lot of cluster pores as seen in RT. There is no construction code for this product. There is no slg / LOP, LOF or any other defects. On what basis do I accept or reject the component ? Is there any way of calculating the acceptabilty ?
: Ananthan
Without a code the decision on pass/fail is the responsibility of the cognizant engineer, using information provided by a skilled RT interpreter. It is possible to calculate loss of cross-sectional area by the tedious measuring and counting of pores. Attitudes to cluster porosity vary in codes, depending on whether a "workmanship" philosophy is favoured; this sits well with RT as the flaws most easily detected are those associated with poor technique and/or supervision. Large numbers of pore clusters indicates there is a problem with welder technique which may give rise to questions about the possible presence of flaws that RT is not optimal at finding.
Regards
Nick

Scott Longstreet
NDT Inspector, Metallographer
Areospace, USA, Joined Apr 2002, 5

Scott Longstreet

NDT Inspector, Metallographer
Areospace,
USA,
Joined Apr 2002
03:49 Dec-06-2002
: : Hello,
: .
: : I am having a component with a lot of cluster pores as seen in RT. There is no construction code for this product. There is no slg / LOP, LOF or any other defects. On what basis do I accept or reject the component ? Is there any way of calculating the acceptabilty ?
: : Ananthan
: When no code or specification is called out, it is our responsibility is to REPORT ALL possible nonconforming issues whitnessed!

Juan Amado
Engineering, Inspection
Arco Industrial, S.A., Panama, Joined Nov 2001, 44

Juan Amado

Engineering, Inspection
Arco Industrial, S.A.,
Panama,
Joined Nov 2001
04:33 Dec-06-2002
: : : Hello,
: : .
: : : I am having a component with a lot of cluster pores as seen in RT. There is no construction code for this product. There is no slg / LOP, LOF or any other defects. On what basis do I accept or reject the component ? Is there any way of calculating the acceptabilty ?
: : : Ananthan
: : When no code or specification is called out, it is our responsibility is to REPORT ALL possible nonconforming issues whitnessed!
As an inspector you must be provided with an accept/reject criteria. This can come from a code, or in your case, from the engineer (meaning the person responsible for the construction/fabrication). Design factors such as load and service conditions, as well as safety issues should be taken into account. (A container holding a pressurized lethal substance can't be regarded the same as one holding compressed air).
The inspector should not be put in the position of responsibility regardign the choosing of an accept/reject criteria. As any professional, the inspector may "recommend", based on experience or past similar jobs, but the actual choosing is the responsibility of the engineer in charge.

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
00:10 Dec-09-2002
Cluster porosity as revealed by RT indicates problem in electrode selection, poor moisture control, poor quality shielding gas, or inadequate shielding or local corrosion of the metal being welded. Acceptance or otherwise of the cluster depends upon the material, stress and other operating conditions. We have some similar experience, whihc we can share with those interested.

Swamy

: : : : Hello,
: : : .
: : : : I am having a component with a lot of cluster pores as seen in RT. There is no construction code for this product. There is no slg / LOP, LOF or any other defects. On what basis do I accept or reject the component ? Is there any way of calculating the acceptabilty ?
: : : : Ananthan
: : : When no code or specification is called out, it is our responsibility is to REPORT ALL possible nonconforming issues whitnessed!
: As an inspector you must be provided with an accept/reject criteria. This can come from a code, or in your case, from the engineer (meaning the person responsible for the construction/fabrication). Design factors such as load and service conditions, as well as safety issues should be taken into account. (A container holding a pressurized lethal substance can't be regarded the same as one holding compressed air).
: The inspector should not be put in the position of responsibility regardign the choosing of an accept/reject criteria. As any professional, the inspector may "recommend", based on experience or past similar jobs, but the actual choosing is the responsibility of the engineer in charge.

Product Spotlight

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window