where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Overlay/Cladding thickness
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

IMG ULTRASUONI SRL
Ultrasonic transducers for industrial applications (NDT) and medical (Doppler effect). Probes, Ultrasonic instruments, Special systems for NDT.

02:31 Dec-17-2002

K. Anandam

Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited,
India,
Joined Oct 2001
Overlay/Cladding thickness

I would be grateful for suggesting the proper technique to measure thickness of a welded overlay of stainless steel on carbon steel forging

03:01 Dec-17-2002

Joe Buckley, Sonatest PLc

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Overlay/Cladding thickness Ultrasonics sometimes works, but not if the bond is any good (useful for checking)

Assuming the SS is non-magnetic:

Magnetic coating thickness gages: cheap lift-off type or digital (www.phynix.de is good)are the simplest (and usually best) answer

Eddy current works well provided care is taken in generating a calibration curve

Joe

: I would be grateful for suggesting the proper technique to measure thickness of a welded overlay of stainless steel on carbon steel forging

03:21 Dec-17-2002

Juraj Neupauer

NDT Inspector
Nuclear Power Plant Bohunice,
Slovak Republic,
Joined Nov 2001
Re: Overlay/Cladding thickness UT thickness measurement is possible. Echo from interface between two materials is visible due to slight velocity difference between carbon steel and stailess steel cladding. However, the echo is very small. Do not use thickness gauge with digital display. UT instrument with A-Scan presentation is necessary.

05:40 Dec-17-2002
Sean S. Franklin
Resistivity for NDT of Overlay/Cladding Thickness : Kankanala,

Resistivity can be used as an ndt method to help you quickly and accurately sort metals in your production. The resistivity of a metal is determined by its grain structure composition and state of internal stress. The most common materials used in the metalworking industry have significantly different internal characteristics, and as a result, different resistivities. For example, a mild steel is in the 14-18 range, tool steel is in the 25-28 range, and stainless steels are in the 70-80 range.

For additional information feel free to contact me at SFranklin@NDTAutomation.com or 609-716-4088.

Regards,
Sean Franklin
www.NDTAutomation.com
www.MistrasHoldings.com

: I would be grateful for suggesting the proper technique to measure thickness of a welded overlay of stainless steel on carbon steel forging.

07:48 Dec-17-2002
Richard Kazares
Re: Overlay/Cladding thickness Another technique that could be tried is to use high(er) frequency (10-20 Mhz typ.) UT with a through B-Scan technique. We have successfully demonstrated this method on paper roll (calender) handling equipment - with "chill depth" (case hardening) layers - and have shown the full profile of the interface between the hard material and the softer layer beneath.

While not suitable for every material or geometry - this method is useful - for being able to not only measure the layer - but to visualize the material, also.

I will e-mail you directly a sample image showing a typical B-Scan result - with annotation so that you can easily determine exactly what is being seen (ultrasonically) and how well the layer differentiation is detected.

You can then determine if this automated UT method is potentially of use to you.

: I would be grateful for suggesting the proper technique to measure thickness of a welded overlay of stainless steel on carbon steel forging

09:30 Dec-17-2002

Randy Plis

Sales, Consultant
AMDATA NDE Technology LLC,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Overlay/Cladding thickness Hello Anandam,

Following up on the suggestion made by Mr. Kazares, ultrasonic imaging (C-Scan, B-Scan and associated A-Scans)may be well suited to your application. If so, you may wish to talk to Alstom Power field inspection personnel in the USA. They have such imaging experience using AMDATA Intraspect systems. If interested, e-mail me and I'll give you a contact name and phone number to followup with.

Cheers,
Randy Plis
www.amdatande.com

: Another technique that could be tried is to use high(er) frequency (10-20 Mhz typ.) UT with a through B-Scan technique. We have successfully demonstrated this method on paper roll (calender) handling equipment - with "chill depth" (case hardening) layers - and have shown the full profile of the interface between the hard material and the softer layer beneath.
: While not suitable for every material or geometry - this method is useful - for being able to not only measure the layer - but to visualize the material, also.
: I will e-mail you directly a sample image showing a typical B-Scan result - with annotation so that you can easily determine exactly what is being seen (ultrasonically) and how well the layer differentiation is detected.
: You can then determine if this automated UT method is potentially of use to you.
:
: : I would be grateful for suggesting the proper technique to measure thickness of a welded overlay of stainless steel on carbon steel forging
: .

06:48 Dec-18-2002

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
Re: Overlay/Cladding thickness This has been an interesting problem with our customers here in Australia for some years now.
Initially we used ultrasonics, a TR probe to pick up the interface with the welded stainless steel (stellite)and the mild steel. Hoping the welder left a small fusion defect that we could get a reflection from, because the grain structure of the welded stellite is coarse you can not use a high freq. probe max. we used was 5MHz. This was not 100% successful.

Try using eddy currents check out the Hocking NDT website. There is even an application report on how it is done. If you want a copy give us a call.

Regards
Neil Burleigh

: Hello Anandam,
: Following up on the suggestion made by Mr. Kazares, ultrasonic imaging (C-Scan, B-Scan and associated A-Scans)may be well suited to your application. If so, you may wish to talk to Alstom Power field inspection personnel in the USA. They have such imaging experience using AMDATA Intraspect systems. If interested, e-mail me and I'll give you a contact name and phone number to followup with.
: Cheers,
: Randy Plis
: www.amdatande.com
: : Another technique that could be tried is to use high(er) frequency (10-20 Mhz typ.) UT with a through B-Scan technique. We have successfully demonstrated this method on paper roll (calender) handling equipment - with "chill depth" (case hardening) layers - and have shown the full profile of the interface between the hard material and the softer layer beneath.
: : While not suitable for every material or geometry - this method is useful - for being able to not only measure the layer - but to visualize the material, also.
: : I will e-mail you directly a sample image showing a typical B-Scan result - with annotation so that you can easily determine exactly what is being seen (ultrasonically) and how well the layer differentiation is detected.
: : You can then determine if this automated UT method is potentially of use to you.
: :
: : : I would be grateful for suggesting the proper technique to measure thickness of a welded overlay of stainless steel on carbon steel forging
: : .

03:34 Dec-19-2002

JDM

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Overlay/Cladding thickness : I would be grateful for suggesting the proper technique to measure thickness of a welded overlay of stainless steel on carbon steel forging
We have tried them all. A lot of them are smoke and mirrors.

We put 1/2" inconel on to carbon steel and measure it.Measure before and after with UT.
When measuring your after thickness, you calibrate your UT scope on an inconel weld metal step block for a 1" screen. You then delay the exact amount of your original steel thickness. You now read the cladding thickness directly. Obviously you need parallel surfaces for this.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|