where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Taking thickness readings on FRP material.
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

02:14 Dec-17-2002
K Fosha
Taking thickness readings on FRP material.

I would like to find out if there is such a thing as a, UT transducer, that is able to take thickness readings of FRP pipe material. (* FRP = Fiber Reinforced Plastic *)

I don't think that a transducer would be able to use sound to obtain a thickness reading due to the amout of glass fiber in the material. But then again, I could be completely wrong and need to be shown the light.

Thanks,
K Fosha

06:28 Dec-18-2002

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
Re: Taking thickness readings on FRP material. : I would like to find out if there is such a thing as a, UT transducer, that is able to take thickness readings of FRP pipe material. (* FRP = Fiber Reinforced Plastic *)
: I don't think that a transducer would be able to use sound to obtain a thickness reading due to the amout of glass fiber in the material. But then again, I could be completely wrong and need to be shown the light.
: Thanks,
: K Fosha
Over the years I have had a number of experiences with FRP. Krautkramer once had a thickness gauge the CL202F which uses the ZIP zero interface probe, it is now no longer available. This probe works well as it is a 0.5MHz probe with a special delay block to reduce the interface echo, ( as the name implies). Details can be found on the KK website about ZIP probes.

Recently we have been using the piezo-composite probes for testing FRP pipe and rubber conveyor belt with great success. Try the K1SC, MSEK2 and MK1S

Regards

Neil Burleigh

18:01 Feb-28-2013
Taha R Sheikh
Re: Taking thickness readings on FRP material. In Reply to Neil Burleigh at 06:28 Dec-18-2002 .

hello neil,

i just read ur reply below.

unfortuatly i cant get any of the below mentioned products in KK website.
Please send me the link or advice me accordingly for thickness montioring of FRP ducts!

taha

21:01 Feb-28-2013
Sudheer Jai Krishnan
Re: Taking thickness readings on FRP material. In Reply to Taha R Sheikh at 18:01 Feb-28-2013 .

Hello Taha

Please let us know your min and maximum thickness. Have you tried a 45MG or a 38DL Plus for the thickness measurements? If not please see the link below and We have given solutions for similar kind of application to many of our customers. The highlighting feature is that ,the 38DLP has got both precision thickness measurements and corrosion measurements such that you can have one equipment for your different requirements

Kindly let me know if i can be of any assistance to you.

http://www.olympus-ims.com/en/38dl-plus/

Regards

Sudheer Jai Krishnan

21:04 Feb-28-2013

James Scalf

NDT Inspector,
Royal Canadian Air Force,
Canada,
Joined Oct 2012
Re: Taking thickness readings on FRP material. In Reply to Sudheer Jai Krishnan at 21:01 Feb-28-2013 .

Taha,

Another option is the new Zip line of probes available through General Electric... Check online to find a representative near you...

21:06 Feb-28-2013

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Taking thickness readings on FRP material. In Reply to K Fosha at 02:14 Dec-17-2002 (Opening).

Yes, there are transducers suitable for fiberglass testing. For more than 25 years Panametrics and now Olympus NDT has offered a specialized 500 KHz delay line transducer, the M2008, that is optimized for thickness measurement and detection of laminar flaws in fiberglass up to 100 mm or thicker. It uses an impedance matched delay line for good coupling and minimal interface echo interference. It can be used with high penetration thickness gages or with a flaw detector. The application note in the link below references fiberglass boat hulls, but the principle is applicable to fiberglass pipes as well.

http://www.olympus-ims.com/en/applications/thickness-gaging-fiberglass-boat-hulls/

We (and other major manufacturers as well) also offer a number of other low frequency transducers that can be effectively used on fiberglass in various thickness ranges. If your pipe radius is less than approximately 150 mm we would first try a smaller diameter transducer as an alternative, such as a 1 MHz or 2.25 MHz, 12.5 mm diameter broadband contact transducer.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|