where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

IMG ULTRASUONI SRL
Ultrasonic transducers for industrial applications (NDT) and medical (Doppler effect). Probes, Ultrasonic instruments, Special systems for NDT.

Technical Discussions
T. Idzenga
Student
University of Twente, Netherlands, Joined Aug 2002, 2

T. Idzenga

Student
University of Twente,
Netherlands,
Joined Aug 2002
03:04 Dec-20-2002
Piëzo-electric detection of Shear-waves

Dear all,

I am a student working on a project on acoustic detection. Can anybody tell me about piëzo-electric detection of shear-waves? Specifically about the signal-response in a piëzo-electric layer to a shear-wave?

Many thanks,

Tim.

Paul A. Meyer
R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 47

Paul A. Meyer

R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
06:03 Dec-23-2002
Re: Piëzo-electric detection of Shear-waves
Hello Tim,
If the wave is vertically polarized (particle displacement is perpendicular to the surface) it can be detected with a conventional piezoelectric ultrasound transducer, although sensitivity may be an issue. The lateral dimension of the transducer should be much smaller than the wavelength of the signal.
If the wave is horizontally polarized (particle displacement is parallel to the surface) a piezoelectric transducer specifically designed for the application is best. Also, the couplant need to be sufficiently viscous to couple the shear wave to the probe.
Other types of probes (EMATs, capacitive probes, optical probes) may also be suitable.
Paul
:
Dear all,
: I am a student working on a project on acoustic detection. Can anybody tell me about piëzo-electric detection of shear-waves? Specifically about the signal-response in a piëzo-electric layer to a shear-wave?
: Many thanks,
: Tim.

Herman Schoorlemmer
Director,
Mistras Group B.V., Netherlands, Joined Mar 2002, 1

Herman Schoorlemmer

Director,
Mistras Group B.V.,
Netherlands,
Joined Mar 2002
08:57 Dec-24-2002
Re: Piëzo-electric detection of Shear-waves
Tim,
If you want to sense acoustic waves coming from a material (acoustic emission) usually the sensitivity is what counts. The key of the application is always to choose the right frequency with you materials attenuation and with your backgound noise. I would like to hear more about your specific application, give me a call on 010-2450325 to discuss details.
best regards,
Herman Schoorlemmer.

: Dear all,
: I am a student working on a project on acoustic detection. Can anybody tell me about piëzo-electric detection of shear-waves? Specifically about the signal-response in a piëzo-electric layer to a shear-wave?
: Many thanks,
: Tim.

Product Spotlight

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s