where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Piëzo-electric detection of Shear-waves
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

AT-Automation Technology GmbH
AT -Automation Technology is a systems house for industrial image processing. AT offers thermographic ndt systems as well as high-speed 3D sensors.

03:04 Dec-20-2002

T. Idzenga

Student
University of Twente,
Netherlands,
Joined Aug 2002
Piëzo-electric detection of Shear-waves

Dear all,

I am a student working on a project on acoustic detection. Can anybody tell me about piëzo-electric detection of shear-waves? Specifically about the signal-response in a piëzo-electric layer to a shear-wave?

Many thanks,

Tim.

06:03 Dec-23-2002

Paul A. Meyer

R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Piëzo-electric detection of Shear-waves Hello Tim,
If the wave is vertically polarized (particle displacement is perpendicular to the surface) it can be detected with a conventional piezoelectric ultrasound transducer, although sensitivity may be an issue. The lateral dimension of the transducer should be much smaller than the wavelength of the signal.
If the wave is horizontally polarized (particle displacement is parallel to the surface) a piezoelectric transducer specifically designed for the application is best. Also, the couplant need to be sufficiently viscous to couple the shear wave to the probe.
Other types of probes (EMATs, capacitive probes, optical probes) may also be suitable.
Paul
:
Dear all,
: I am a student working on a project on acoustic detection. Can anybody tell me about piëzo-electric detection of shear-waves? Specifically about the signal-response in a piëzo-electric layer to a shear-wave?
: Many thanks,
: Tim.

08:57 Dec-24-2002

Herman Schoorlemmer

Director,
Mistras Group B.V.,
Netherlands,
Joined Mar 2002
Re: Piëzo-electric detection of Shear-waves Tim,
If you want to sense acoustic waves coming from a material (acoustic emission) usually the sensitivity is what counts. The key of the application is always to choose the right frequency with you materials attenuation and with your backgound noise. I would like to hear more about your specific application, give me a call on 010-2450325 to discuss details.
best regards,
Herman Schoorlemmer.

: Dear all,
: I am a student working on a project on acoustic detection. Can anybody tell me about piëzo-electric detection of shear-waves? Specifically about the signal-response in a piëzo-electric layer to a shear-wave?
: Many thanks,
: Tim.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|