where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Detection of Linear indications
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Vidisco Ltd.
Vidisco Ltd. is the leading designer and manufacturer of state-of-the-art Digital Radiography systems.

09:05 Dec-22-2002

K. Anandm

Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited,
India,
Joined Oct 2001
Detection of Linear indications

I am experiencing difficulties in detecting the fine linear indications ( could be Lack of fusion or crack) before stress relieving. The same indications are prominently seen after SR in Ultrasonic Test.

The joint is between two angularly paced placed Carbon Steel Plates and one of them is overlayed with SS.

I would be grateful for suggesting some solution to this.

09:13 Dec-23-2002
Ed Trotter
Re: Detection of Linear indications : I am experiencing difficulties in detecting the fine linear indications ( could be Lack of fusion or crack) before stress relieving. The same indications are prominently seen after SR in Ultrasonic Test.
: The joint is between two angularly paced placed Carbon Steel Plates and one of them is overlayed with SS.
: I would be grateful for suggesting some solution to this.
I am not familiar with the configuration you are talking about, but are the indications appearing anywhere near the stainless to carbon steel interface? Are you using shear waves? If you answered yes to both questions you may want to try using refracted longitudinal wave search units.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|