where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
thickness measurement of buried pipeline
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

GE Inspection Technologies GmbH
offers equipment, systems and expertise based on ultrasonics, radiography, eddy curreent and remote visual inspection.

01:17 Jan-14-2003
paresh
thickness measurement of buried pipeline

I am interested to purchase system which can do thickness measurement of buried installed pipeline especially near railway crossings. Could anybody suggest the best testing equipment details etc. Please contact me at ndtindia@yahoo.com

02:37 Jan-14-2003

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: thickness measurement of buried pipeline You need to be specific about access. If you are going to dig up then almost any UT instrument will produce some form of result.

if you wnat to find areas of thinning remotely then you have limited options:

Internal MFL or UT pig - very good but can be expensive.
Guided Wave UT - reduced excavation but poor thickness resolution but idnetifies a problem for localised excavation.

Define your application a little more and you may improve responses.

05:52 Jan-14-2003

Richard D. Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: thickness measurement of buried pipeline Dear Sir,

Since you are mainly interested in short lengths of buried piping under railroad crossings you might consider Long Range Ultrasonics/Guided Wave Ultrasonics which can be used from the pipings exterior. Other processes that might prove to have higher flaw detection and resolution capabilities are Ultrasonic (UT) or Magnetic Flux Leakage (MFL) pigs which can be pushed through the piping, however you must have access to the interior on either end.

Regards, Rich

--------------- ORIGIONAL MESSAGE ---------------
: I am interested to purchase system which can do thickness measurement of buried installed pipeline especially near railway crossings. Could anybody suggest the best testing equipment details etc. Please contact me at ndtindia@yahoo.com

00:16 Jan-15-2003
Colin Brown
Re: thickness measurement of buried pipeline : I am interested to purchase system which can do thickness measurement of buried installed pipeline especially near railway crossings. Could anybody suggest the best testing equipment details etc. Please contact me at ndtindia@yahoo.com
.Following your previous two replies, I offer www.plantintegrity.co.uk as a website to give more information about the details and resolution of long range guided wave ultrasonics.

Best Regards

Colin Brown

02:35 Jan-15-2003
paresh
Thickness Measurement of buried Pipelines Thank you very much for various postings.
Actually pipelines I am talking is buried below the ground level up to 2 meter depth. Pipeline is accessable only at start point and at end. In the pipeline there are 12-18 number of valves and total length of pipeline length is approx 180 Km. at present to be tested.

: : I am interested to purchase system which can do thickness measurement of buried installed pipeline especially near railway crossings. Could anybody suggest the best testing equipment details etc. Please contact me at ndtindia@yahoo.com
: .Following your previous two replies, I offer www.plantintegrity.co.uk as a website to give more information about the details and resolution of long range guided wave ultrasonics.
: Best Regards
: Colin Brown

02:37 Jan-15-2003
paresh
Thickness Measurement of buried Pipelines Thank you very much for various postings.
Actually pipelines I am talking is buried below the ground level up to 2 meter depth. Pipeline is accessable only at start point and at end. In the pipeline there are 12-18 number of valves and total length of pipeline length is approx 180 Km. at present to be tested. I am looking for complete testing solution suitable for pipelines.

: : I am interested to purchase system which can do thickness measurement of buried installed pipeline especially near railway crossings. Could anybody suggest the best testing equipment details etc. Please contact me at ndtindia@yahoo.com
: .Following your previous two replies, I offer www.plantintegrity.co.uk as a website to give more information about the details and resolution of long range guided wave ultrasonics.
: Best Regards
: Colin Brown

02:27 Jan-15-2003

John O'brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Thickness Measurement of buried Pipelines To fully inspect 180 km of pipeline most effective approach is an intelligent pig. Geometry of line i.e. bends will need to accomodate passage of the pig and valves will have to be full bore with little or no restrictions.

MFL or UT dependent upon service product and resolution required. Not available to buy as far as I am aware.

Look to

Linalog Tuboscope
Rosen Inspection
PII
B J Hughes Pipeline services

For intelligent pigging services.

00:21 Jan-16-2003

Uli Mletzko

R & D, Retired
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Thickness Measurement of buried Pipelines : Actually pipelines I am talking is buried below the ground level up to 2 meter depth. Pipeline is accessable only at start point and at end. In the pipeline there are 12-18 number of valves and total length of pipeline length is approx 180 Km. at present to be tested.

If you have 180 km of pipeline, but if you want to know about wall thickness at selected locations (e.g. railway crossing), IMHO there is no other way than to dig access holes into the ground to reach the OD of the pipeline, and then to try to apply guided wave ultrasonics wittin a range of some meters.

Regards
Uli Mletzko

MPA, University of Stuttgart, Germany

05:32 Apr-27-2005
YSK
Re: thickness measurement of buried pipeline Paresh,
Long Range Ultrasonic can be used for screening the pipeline nonetheless it has been specified that LRUT can detect any changing in cross-section area of the pipe from 3% and above. However I have tried it though one company and the operator could not pick up pitting corrosion. Finally I find out that the operator was able to pick up 10% and above.
The other things if there is any attenuation the wave will die before it reaches to the specified distance

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|