where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Sonatest Ltd
From our three distinct business centres in the UK, USA and CANADA, Sonatest design and produce a leading range of high performance ultrasonic NDT equipment and accessories.
Technical Discussions
Paul Wray
Paul Wray
07:39 Feb-05-2003
MPT bench current meters

Can anyone explain the industry situation as regards the problem below? (NDT is not my field, but I am editing/writing some vocational-level educational materials on MPT.)

THE PROBLEM:
Lets say you want do follow an MPT method - eg for testing some component of standard dimensions - developed elsewhere, which specifies a magnetising current. You want to generate the same current with your unit.
Now the MPT test bench at out college (a "lectro-flux BWD 1565") has a simple moving coil meter, and an AC-DC selector. The machine is old, and I dont have access to the manuals.
There is no indication of whether the meter is indicating RMS or peak, and no indication of whether "DC" means half- or full-wave rectified. In addition, even if I knew the meter was indicating RMS for an AC current, can I trust the manufacturer to have included circuit to account for the change in form factor, so that the current reading for a "DC" current is also true RMS? Or is the reading on DC really meaningless - for comparison purposes only?
My questions are:
1)Can one trust the indicated values from moving coil meters on MPT benches to be true RMS ?
2) Is is a typical situation to not know the "true" value of the current, except to be able to compare a current with others generated on the same machine ?
3) Is it rare situation to want to carry out a procedure developed on a different machine? Or must it be re-validated on every machine?
4) Does anyone have any horror stories stemming from blindly believing a quoted current in a procedure, or blindly believing the current reading of an MPT bench ?

Neil Burleigh
Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd, Australia, Joined Dec 2002, 158

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
02:58 Feb-05-2003
Re: MPT bench current meters
: Can anyone explain the industry situation as regards the problem below? (NDT is not my field, but I am editing/writing some vocational-level educational materials on MPT.)
: THE PROBLEM:
: Lets say you want do follow an MPT method - eg for testing some component of standard dimensions - developed elsewhere, which specifies a magnetising current. You want to generate the same current with your unit.
: Now the MPT test bench at out college (a "lectro-flux BWD 1565") has a simple moving coil meter, and an AC-DC selector. The machine is old, and I dont have access to the manuals.
: There is no indication of whether the meter is indicating RMS or peak, and no indication of whether "DC" means half- or full-wave rectified. In addition, even if I knew the meter was indicating RMS for an AC current, can I trust the manufacturer to have included circuit to account for the change in form factor, so that the current reading for a "DC" current is also true RMS? Or is the reading on DC really meaningless - for comparison purposes only?
: My questions are:
: 1)Can one trust the indicated values from moving coil meters on MPT benches to be true RMS ?
: 2) Is is a typical situation to not know the "true" value of the current, except to be able to compare a current with others generated on the same machine ?
: 3) Is it rare situation to want to carry out a procedure developed on a different machine? Or must it be re-validated on every machine?
: 4) Does anyone have any horror stories stemming from blindly believing a quoted current in a procedure, or blindly believing the current reading of an MPT bench ?
.Paul,
Give Dave Mullet a call at Lectromax Australia 03 94311041 admin@lectromax.com.au. I think they made the mag bench you are talking about.
Also I always recommend that mag flux indicators be used on the test piece because you cannot guarantee the output of the test bench is transferred completely into the test piece.

Regards
Neil Burleigh

Product Spotlight

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window