where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
what's the magnitude (order) of the temperature coefficient for the speed of solid metal?
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:57 Feb-18-2003
Hason
what's the magnitude (order) of the temperature coefficient for the speed of solid metal?

I read a paper in which it indicates that the temperature coefficient for the speed of sound in solid germanium polycrystalline rod was about -0.000073cm/s and the temperature coefficient for fused silica is about 0.0000723cm/s, I personally think the values are too small?

Could anyone tell me what's the magnitude (order) of the temperature coefficient for the speed of solid metal?

Thank you!

04:38 Feb-18-2003

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: what's the magnitude (order) of the temperature coefficient for the speed of solid metal? This type of question has come up before on this forum. Looking back using the search option we see it in January/March 1999.
Then a value for compression mode in a steel alloy was indicated as about 0.6m/s/C. R.Ginzel has come up with about 0.3m/s for shear modes in some alloys of steel.
In both cases this is about 0.01% of the velocity per degree C. Both are relatively small values but not as small as your quoted value which seems to be smaller by about 6 orders of magnitude.
Ed

: I read a paper in which it indicates that the temperature coefficient for the speed of sound in solid germanium polycrystalline rod was about -0.000073cm/s and the temperature coefficient for fused silica is about 0.0000723cm/s, I personally think the values are too small?
: Could anyone tell me what's the magnitude (order) of the temperature coefficient for the speed of solid metal?
: Thank you!

01:25 Feb-19-2003

Yong-Moo Cheong

R & D,
Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute,
South Korea,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: what's the magnitude (order) of the temperature coefficient for the speed of solid metal? : I read a paper in which it indicates that the temperature coefficient for the speed of sound in solid germanium polycrystalline rod was about -0.000073cm/s and the temperature coefficient for fused silica is about 0.0000723cm/s, I personally think the values are too small?
: Could anyone tell me what's the magnitude (order) of the temperature coefficient for the speed of solid metal?
: Thank you!
Hello,

I measured the temperature effect of sound velocity for several metals. My measurement of the temperature coefficient of longitudinal wave for carbon steel (SA106 Gr.B) was -0.67315 m/s/degree C, and -0.48513 m/s/degree C for shear wave.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Yong-Moo Cheong
Nuclear Materials Technology
Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute
Tel.:+82-42-868-8091
Fax:+82-42-868-8346
e-mail: ymcheong@kaeri.re.kr

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|