where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Phoenix Inspection Systems Limited
Design and manufacture ultrasonic Transducers, Scanners and Custom Solutions for NDT inspections. Innovators in NDT technology

Technical Discussions
Hason
Hason
00:57 Feb-18-2003
what's the magnitude (order) of the temperature coefficient for the speed of solid metal?

I read a paper in which it indicates that the temperature coefficient for the speed of sound in solid germanium polycrystalline rod was about -0.000073cm/s and the temperature coefficient for fused silica is about 0.0000723cm/s, I personally think the values are too small?

Could anyone tell me what's the magnitude (order) of the temperature coefficient for the speed of solid metal?

Thank you!

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1252

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
04:38 Feb-18-2003
Re: what's the magnitude (order) of the temperature coefficient for the speed of solid metal?
This type of question has come up before on this forum. Looking back using the search option we see it in January/March 1999.
Then a value for compression mode in a steel alloy was indicated as about 0.6m/s/C. R.Ginzel has come up with about 0.3m/s for shear modes in some alloys of steel.
In both cases this is about 0.01% of the velocity per degree C. Both are relatively small values but not as small as your quoted value which seems to be smaller by about 6 orders of magnitude.
Ed

: I read a paper in which it indicates that the temperature coefficient for the speed of sound in solid germanium polycrystalline rod was about -0.000073cm/s and the temperature coefficient for fused silica is about 0.0000723cm/s, I personally think the values are too small?
: Could anyone tell me what's the magnitude (order) of the temperature coefficient for the speed of solid metal?
: Thank you!

Yong-Moo Cheong
R & D,
Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, South Korea, Joined Nov 1998, 3

Yong-Moo Cheong

R & D,
Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute,
South Korea,
Joined Nov 1998
01:25 Feb-19-2003
Re: what's the magnitude (order) of the temperature coefficient for the speed of solid metal?
: I read a paper in which it indicates that the temperature coefficient for the speed of sound in solid germanium polycrystalline rod was about -0.000073cm/s and the temperature coefficient for fused silica is about 0.0000723cm/s, I personally think the values are too small?
: Could anyone tell me what's the magnitude (order) of the temperature coefficient for the speed of solid metal?
: Thank you!
Hello,

I measured the temperature effect of sound velocity for several metals. My measurement of the temperature coefficient of longitudinal wave for carbon steel (SA106 Gr.B) was -0.67315 m/s/degree C, and -0.48513 m/s/degree C for shear wave.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Yong-Moo Cheong
Nuclear Materials Technology
Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute
Tel.:+82-42-868-8091
Fax:+82-42-868-8346
e-mail: ymcheong@kaeri.re.kr

Product Spotlight

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window