where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 608

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
03:07 Feb-18-2003
How to detect cracks in dams

On behalf of a reader I post this message:
I am not sure if UT could work, but what about GPR or IRT?
------
Dear Mr. Diedericks,

We have divers that do maintenance and repair dams underwater. I was asked if there is an acoustical mean (ultrasound or else) that could be used underwater to detect cracks in dams as a preventive measure.

Thank you for paying attention to my request.

Regards!

Franc Buijsen
Franc Buijsen
03:27 Feb-18-2003
Re: How to detect cracks in dams
Assuming the dams are of steel. Cracks can be found underwater by means of eddy current or magnetic. Both techniques are intensively used on the North sea and in the harbours. There are a lot of companies in The Netherlands and the UK offering this service. We have trained divers to do this kind of work.

Franc

: On behalf of a reader I post this message:
: I am not sure if UT could work, but what about GPR or IRT?
: ------
: Dear Mr. Diedericks,
:
: We have divers that do maintenance and repair dams underwater. I was asked if there is an acoustical mean (ultrasound or else) that could be used underwater to detect cracks in dams as a preventive measure.
:
: Thank you for paying attention to my request.
:
: Regards!

Todd Allen
Consultant, Ground Penetrating Radar ( GPR )
Radarview Concrete and Underground 3D Imaging, USA, Joined Jan 2003, 7

Todd Allen

Consultant, Ground Penetrating Radar ( GPR )
Radarview Concrete and Underground 3D Imaging,
USA,
Joined Jan 2003
02:59 Feb-19-2003
If the Dam is concrete, GPR is great for thickness, and reinforcement location, but for cracks you need to use the Ultrasonic Impact-Echo method. If you need more information call me at 281-705-9476 (USA).

Thanks,
-Todd Allen

:
: We have divers that do maintenance and repair dams underwater. I was asked if there is an acoustical mean (ultrasound or else) that could be used underwater to detect cracks in dams as a preventive measure.
:
:

Neil Gibson
Director
CNS Farnell Ltd, United Kingdom, Joined Jul 2003, 2

Neil Gibson

Director
CNS Farnell Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jul 2003
08:58 Feb-20-2003
:
:
:

The ultrasonic pulse velocity technique is widely used to detect cracks in concrete structures (assuming your dam is concrete! CNS Farnell can supply instruments and transducers for this purpose. Transducers for use at depths much below 1-2m are not standard but can be made. You will need access to both sides of the dam to detect cracks and other defects.

Take a look at our website www.cnsfarnell.com or call me for more information on +44 (0)20 8238 6900

asif
asif
05:50 Dec-11-2003
i m student of msc civil engg. i have to deliver a presentation so plz post it to me
thanks
asif

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window