where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Airstar Inc.
Application of the newest technologies, such as air-coupled ultrasound, digital instrumentation, signal processing, and transducer technology.

Technical Discussions
Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 604

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
03:07 Feb-18-2003
How to detect cracks in dams

On behalf of a reader I post this message:
I am not sure if UT could work, but what about GPR or IRT?
------
Dear Mr. Diedericks,

We have divers that do maintenance and repair dams underwater. I was asked if there is an acoustical mean (ultrasound or else) that could be used underwater to detect cracks in dams as a preventive measure.

Thank you for paying attention to my request.

Regards!

Franc Buijsen
Franc Buijsen
03:27 Feb-18-2003
Re: How to detect cracks in dams
Assuming the dams are of steel. Cracks can be found underwater by means of eddy current or magnetic. Both techniques are intensively used on the North sea and in the harbours. There are a lot of companies in The Netherlands and the UK offering this service. We have trained divers to do this kind of work.

Franc

: On behalf of a reader I post this message:
: I am not sure if UT could work, but what about GPR or IRT?
: ------
: Dear Mr. Diedericks,
:
: We have divers that do maintenance and repair dams underwater. I was asked if there is an acoustical mean (ultrasound or else) that could be used underwater to detect cracks in dams as a preventive measure.
:
: Thank you for paying attention to my request.
:
: Regards!

Todd Allen
Consultant, Ground Penetrating Radar ( GPR )
Radarview Concrete and Underground 3D Imaging, USA, Joined Jan 2003, 7

Todd Allen

Consultant, Ground Penetrating Radar ( GPR )
Radarview Concrete and Underground 3D Imaging,
USA,
Joined Jan 2003
02:59 Feb-19-2003
If the Dam is concrete, GPR is great for thickness, and reinforcement location, but for cracks you need to use the Ultrasonic Impact-Echo method. If you need more information call me at 281-705-9476 (USA).

Thanks,
-Todd Allen

:
: We have divers that do maintenance and repair dams underwater. I was asked if there is an acoustical mean (ultrasound or else) that could be used underwater to detect cracks in dams as a preventive measure.
:
:

Neil Gibson
Director
CNS Farnell Ltd, United Kingdom, Joined Jul 2003, 2

Neil Gibson

Director
CNS Farnell Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jul 2003
08:58 Feb-20-2003
:
:
:

The ultrasonic pulse velocity technique is widely used to detect cracks in concrete structures (assuming your dam is concrete! CNS Farnell can supply instruments and transducers for this purpose. Transducers for use at depths much below 1-2m are not standard but can be made. You will need access to both sides of the dam to detect cracks and other defects.

Take a look at our website www.cnsfarnell.com or call me for more information on +44 (0)20 8238 6900

asif
asif
05:50 Dec-11-2003
i m student of msc civil engg. i have to deliver a presentation so plz post it to me
thanks
asif

Product Spotlight

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window