where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Material designation
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

IDEKO S.Coop
We provide Precision, Quality, Reliability and Productivity in manufacturing processes among our knowledge of Inspection and measurement technologies

08:30 Mar-04-2003
Renaningsih Setjo
Material designation

Dear Colleagues,

At present I have been working in Material Testing Lab. I am doing research on Remaining Life for boiler tubes. The material of the tubes are 15 No.3, 10 Cr No.910, ST 35.8 III.
I have the difficulties to get some data related to the chemical composituion of these materials since I am not familiar with this designation. Dear Friend would you please help me with the equal design. of these materials according to ASTM Code?? ...Please inform..I really appreciated for your help.

Best regards

Ms. Rena Setjo

00:23 Mar-04-2003

Uli Mletzko

R & D, Retired
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Material designation
: At present I have been working in Material Testing Lab. I am doing research on Remaining Life for boiler tubes. The material of the tubes are 15 No.3, 10 Cr No.910, ST 35.8 III.
: I have the difficulties to get some data related to the chemical composituion of these materials since I am not familiar with this designation. Dear Friend would you please help me with the equal design. of these materials according to ASTM Code?? ...Please inform..I really appreciated for your help.

Dear Ms. Rena Setjo,
the materials mentioned are according to German standards (DIN), for low or medium temperature boiler applications.

The composition is for

St_35.8 = (C <= 0.17 %, Si <= 0.35 %, Mn >= 0.40 %, Cr <= 0.03 %),
15_Mo_3 = (C 0.12-0.20 %, Si 0.15-0.35 %, Mn 0.50-0.80 %, Cr <= 0.03 %, Mo 0.25-0.35 %),
10_CrMo_9_10 = (C <= 0.15 %, Si 0.15-0.50 %, Mn 0.40-0.60 %, Cr 2.0-2.5 %, Mo 0.9-1.1 %).

The roman number 'III' is for quality level 'three'.

I've used the underscore character '_' within the alloy names. In the original names there have to be blanks/spaces.

The ranking is ascending according to the alloy content of molybdenum and chromium, which is according to the intended temperature level.

I hope this helps to find corresponding alloys according to other standards.

Regards
Uli Mletzko
MPA, NDT group,
University of Stuttgart, Germany

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|