where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Renaningsih Setjo
Renaningsih Setjo
08:30 Mar-04-2003
Material designation

Dear Colleagues,

At present I have been working in Material Testing Lab. I am doing research on Remaining Life for boiler tubes. The material of the tubes are 15 No.3, 10 Cr No.910, ST 35.8 III.
I have the difficulties to get some data related to the chemical composituion of these materials since I am not familiar with this designation. Dear Friend would you please help me with the equal design. of these materials according to ASTM Code?? ...Please inform..I really appreciated for your help.

Best regards

Ms. Rena Setjo

Uli Mletzko
R & D, Retired
Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 89

Uli Mletzko

R & D, Retired
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
00:23 Mar-04-2003
Re: Material designation

: At present I have been working in Material Testing Lab. I am doing research on Remaining Life for boiler tubes. The material of the tubes are 15 No.3, 10 Cr No.910, ST 35.8 III.
: I have the difficulties to get some data related to the chemical composituion of these materials since I am not familiar with this designation. Dear Friend would you please help me with the equal design. of these materials according to ASTM Code?? ...Please inform..I really appreciated for your help.

Dear Ms. Rena Setjo,
the materials mentioned are according to German standards (DIN), for low or medium temperature boiler applications.

The composition is for

St_35.8 = (C <= 0.17 %, Si <= 0.35 %, Mn >= 0.40 %, Cr <= 0.03 %),
15_Mo_3 = (C 0.12-0.20 %, Si 0.15-0.35 %, Mn 0.50-0.80 %, Cr <= 0.03 %, Mo 0.25-0.35 %),
10_CrMo_9_10 = (C <= 0.15 %, Si 0.15-0.50 %, Mn 0.40-0.60 %, Cr 2.0-2.5 %, Mo 0.9-1.1 %).

The roman number 'III' is for quality level 'three'.

I've used the underscore character '_' within the alloy names. In the original names there have to be blanks/spaces.

The ranking is ascending according to the alloy content of molybdenum and chromium, which is according to the intended temperature level.

I hope this helps to find corresponding alloys according to other standards.

Regards
Uli Mletzko
MPA, NDT group,
University of Stuttgart, Germany

Product Spotlight

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window