where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
David Harvey
David Harvey
00:30 Mar-05-2003
Reflector plate testing

We employ reflector-plate testing on relatively thin (0.090" to 0.500") refractory metals. I would very much like to change to a back - surface reflection moniotoring type of test. Does anyone have any wisdom to contribute to this question? I understand some of the obvious differences, but I am somewhat stymied in coming up with the justification for trying to change over to this test. Thank you for your assistance.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1219

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
01:21 Mar-05-2003
Re: Reflector plate testing
Mr. Harvey:
Could you please provide a bit more information.
I am not clear on what "reflector-plate" testing is.
What are you monitoring or testing for. (Can I assume you are using some form of automated ultrasonic configuration?)
Ed

: We employ reflector-plate testing on relatively thin (0.090" to 0.500") refractory metals. I would very much like to change to a back - surface reflection moniotoring type of test. Does anyone have any wisdom to contribute to this question? I understand some of the obvious differences, but I am somewhat stymied in coming up with the justification for trying to change over to this test. Thank you for your assistance.

Carlos Valdecantos
Engineering
MTORRES, Ing., Spain, Joined May 2001, 9

Carlos Valdecantos

Engineering
MTORRES, Ing.,
Spain,
Joined May 2001
09:31 Mar-06-2003
Re: Reflector plate testing
As far as I understand, reflector plate test is also referred to as "double transmission" and gives no information about time of flight (thickness or flaw depth) because the echo being monitored is the one coming from the plate which is kept at a fixed distance from the transducer. Defects are shown in the C-scan as amplitude fall of the plate echo. Axial resolution is not involved, so standard transducer can be used. Although pulse-echo systems are used, reflector plate test is not strictly a pulse-echo test.

True pulse-echo test makes use the backwall echo of the part under test. This gives information on the amplitude (C-scan) and time of flight (D-scan), so thickness of the part and depth of defects are measured. High axial resolution transducers are required for thin parts testing. Also geometric requirements (perpendicularity to the part surface) are more stringent in pulse echo.

C. Valdecantos

Product Spotlight

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

GEKKO, Standard and Advanced phased-array for Easier inspection

With a 64-channel parallel architecture, GEKKO is a flaw detector offering at the same time conven
tional UT, standard PAUT, TOFD and real-time Total Focusing Method (TFM). GEKKO improves the detection, with better defects characterization and sizing as well as for misoriented defects. Some procedures require standard UT, others TOFD or PA. GEKKO includes all these techniques to offer a versatile and field-ready equipment. - 64:64 parallel channels - + 4 additional TOFD - Conventional UT channels - International code compliance: ASME, AWS, API, ASTM, ISO-EN Watch the video: https://youtu.be/kuEY_RwWS3Q
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s