where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Reflector plate testing
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:30 Mar-05-2003
David Harvey
Reflector plate testing

We employ reflector-plate testing on relatively thin (0.090" to 0.500") refractory metals. I would very much like to change to a back - surface reflection moniotoring type of test. Does anyone have any wisdom to contribute to this question? I understand some of the obvious differences, but I am somewhat stymied in coming up with the justification for trying to change over to this test. Thank you for your assistance.

01:21 Mar-05-2003

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Reflector plate testing Mr. Harvey:
Could you please provide a bit more information.
I am not clear on what "reflector-plate" testing is.
What are you monitoring or testing for. (Can I assume you are using some form of automated ultrasonic configuration?)
Ed

: We employ reflector-plate testing on relatively thin (0.090" to 0.500") refractory metals. I would very much like to change to a back - surface reflection moniotoring type of test. Does anyone have any wisdom to contribute to this question? I understand some of the obvious differences, but I am somewhat stymied in coming up with the justification for trying to change over to this test. Thank you for your assistance.

09:31 Mar-06-2003

Carlos Valdecantos

Engineering
MTORRES, Ing.,
Spain,
Joined May 2001
Re: Reflector plate testing As far as I understand, reflector plate test is also referred to as "double transmission" and gives no information about time of flight (thickness or flaw depth) because the echo being monitored is the one coming from the plate which is kept at a fixed distance from the transducer. Defects are shown in the C-scan as amplitude fall of the plate echo. Axial resolution is not involved, so standard transducer can be used. Although pulse-echo systems are used, reflector plate test is not strictly a pulse-echo test.

True pulse-echo test makes use the backwall echo of the part under test. This gives information on the amplitude (C-scan) and time of flight (D-scan), so thickness of the part and depth of defects are measured. High axial resolution transducers are required for thin parts testing. Also geometric requirements (perpendicularity to the part surface) are more stringent in pulse echo.

C. Valdecantos

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|