where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

GB Inspection Systems Ltd.
A leading UK manufacturer of Ultrasonic Probes, Accessories, Supplier of NDT Equipment and more.

Technical Discussions
David Harvey
David Harvey
00:30 Mar-05-2003
Reflector plate testing

We employ reflector-plate testing on relatively thin (0.090" to 0.500") refractory metals. I would very much like to change to a back - surface reflection moniotoring type of test. Does anyone have any wisdom to contribute to this question? I understand some of the obvious differences, but I am somewhat stymied in coming up with the justification for trying to change over to this test. Thank you for your assistance.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1235

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
01:21 Mar-05-2003
Re: Reflector plate testing
Mr. Harvey:
Could you please provide a bit more information.
I am not clear on what "reflector-plate" testing is.
What are you monitoring or testing for. (Can I assume you are using some form of automated ultrasonic configuration?)
Ed

: We employ reflector-plate testing on relatively thin (0.090" to 0.500") refractory metals. I would very much like to change to a back - surface reflection moniotoring type of test. Does anyone have any wisdom to contribute to this question? I understand some of the obvious differences, but I am somewhat stymied in coming up with the justification for trying to change over to this test. Thank you for your assistance.

Carlos Valdecantos
Engineering
MTORRES, Ing., Spain, Joined May 2001, 9

Carlos Valdecantos

Engineering
MTORRES, Ing.,
Spain,
Joined May 2001
09:31 Mar-06-2003
Re: Reflector plate testing
As far as I understand, reflector plate test is also referred to as "double transmission" and gives no information about time of flight (thickness or flaw depth) because the echo being monitored is the one coming from the plate which is kept at a fixed distance from the transducer. Defects are shown in the C-scan as amplitude fall of the plate echo. Axial resolution is not involved, so standard transducer can be used. Although pulse-echo systems are used, reflector plate test is not strictly a pulse-echo test.

True pulse-echo test makes use the backwall echo of the part under test. This gives information on the amplitude (C-scan) and time of flight (D-scan), so thickness of the part and depth of defects are measured. High axial resolution transducers are required for thin parts testing. Also geometric requirements (perpendicularity to the part surface) are more stringent in pulse echo.

C. Valdecantos

Product Spotlight

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

High Resolution Industrial CT System for Small/Medium Size Parts Inspection

The YXLON FF35 CT computed tomography system is designed to achieve extremely precise inspection res
ults for a wide range of applications. Available in a single or dual tube configuration, it is perfect for very small to medium size parts inspection in the automotive, electronics, aviation, and material science industries.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window