where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Re: Reflector plate testing - description
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

VOGT Ultrasonics GmbH
non-destructive testing, services, training, ultrasonic systems, immersion and squirter inspection systems, PROline, digital radiology

06:13 Mar-06-2003

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
Re: Reflector plate testing - description

Reflector plate testing is akin to thru-transmission, but only using one transducer. The sound passes through the material under test, is reflected back from a smooth plate parallel to and some given distance from the material tested, and back through the test material to the probe. The reflections from the reflector plate are monitored, with a decrease in amplitude signifying an indication.
Due to the need to support or fixture the thin material under test, this is a very time-consuming test, and we are looking very hard at replacing it with a back-surface loss type of test.
My request of the list members is for help in making sure I have not forgotten something obvious (or obscure) - at this point is seems our biggest concern is the possibility of a laminar defect that shows up at 1/2 thickness and would give us a signal that would fall on a back reflection on the time base.
Your comments and suggestions are much appreciated!!
: Mr. Harvey:
: Could you please provide a bit more information.
: I am not clear on what "reflector-plate" testing is.
: What are you monitoring or testing for. (Can I assume you are using some form of automated ultrasonic configuration?)
: Ed
: : We employ reflector-plate testing on relatively thin (0.090" to 0.500") refractory metals. I would very much like to change to a back - surface reflection moniotoring type of test. Does anyone have any wisdom to contribute to this question? I understand some of the obvious differences, but I am somewhat stymied in coming up with the justification for trying to change over to this test. Thank you for your assistance.
'

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|