where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Velocity of stainless steel 316 and plexiglass
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:48 Mar-06-2003
Protopappas
Velocity of stainless steel 316 and plexiglass

Please,

could anyone provide me with the ultrasound velocity of the following materials:
steel 316
plexiglass
perspex (lucite)

I really cannot find accurate values.

Thank you in advance.

00:44 Mar-07-2003

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
Re: Velocity of stainless steel 316 and plexiglass : Please,
: could anyone provide me with the ultrasound velocity of the following materials:
: steel 316
: plexiglass
: perspex (lucite)
: I really cannot find accurate values.
: Thank you in advance.
.Here is some info. for you
Lucite Vlong 2680m/sec Vshear 1050m/sec
Plexiglass a)UVA Vlong 2760m/sec Vshear 1090m/sec
b)UVAII Vlong 2730m/sec Vshear 1080m/sec
Hope this helps
Regards

04:24 Mar-07-2003

Uli Mletzko

R & D, Retired
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Velocity of stainless steel 316 and plexiglass
: could anyone provide me with the ultrasound velocity of the following materials:

The ultrasound velocity in stainless steel is strongly depending on the material (cast, forged, weld), especially on the grain size and the grain orientation, leading to anisotropy.
In general, the velocity is lower than in heat treated, forged, fine grain ferritic carbon steel (clong = 5920 m/s, ctrans =3250 m/s).
So, clong = 5800 m/s might be a suitable average value, but sometimes it can be also down to 5400 m/s.
You have to use suitable control specimens or you have calibrate on the test specimen directly.

Regards
Uli Mletzko
NDT Group, MPA
University of Stuttgart, Germany

06:46 Mar-14-2003
Kris Smestad
Re: Velocity of stainless steel 316 and plexiglass : Please,
: plexiglass
: perspex (lucite)
: I really cannot find accurate values.
: Thank you in advance.

Keep it simple. If you have a known thickness of a material, you can determine it's exact velocity. Measure a sample with a micrometer. Set your screen range on your A-scan to twice that thickness. After compensating for probe delay, adjust your velocity so you have one signal at 50% and one at 100%.

Easy, right?

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|