where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

YXLON Copenhagen
YXLON Copenhagen is a highly specialized, award winning Danish company with 60 years of experience in portable X-ray solutions for industrial NDT.

Technical Discussions
Protopappas
Protopappas
03:48 Mar-06-2003
Velocity of stainless steel 316 and plexiglass

Please,

could anyone provide me with the ultrasound velocity of the following materials:
steel 316
plexiglass
perspex (lucite)

I really cannot find accurate values.

Thank you in advance.

Neil Burleigh
Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd, Australia, Joined Dec 2002, 153

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
00:44 Mar-07-2003
Re: Velocity of stainless steel 316 and plexiglass
: Please,
: could anyone provide me with the ultrasound velocity of the following materials:
: steel 316
: plexiglass
: perspex (lucite)
: I really cannot find accurate values.
: Thank you in advance.
.Here is some info. for you
Lucite Vlong 2680m/sec Vshear 1050m/sec
Plexiglass a)UVA Vlong 2760m/sec Vshear 1090m/sec
b)UVAII Vlong 2730m/sec Vshear 1080m/sec
Hope this helps
Regards

Uli Mletzko
R & D, Retired
Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 89

Uli Mletzko

R & D, Retired
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
04:24 Mar-07-2003

: could anyone provide me with the ultrasound velocity of the following materials:

The ultrasound velocity in stainless steel is strongly depending on the material (cast, forged, weld), especially on the grain size and the grain orientation, leading to anisotropy.
In general, the velocity is lower than in heat treated, forged, fine grain ferritic carbon steel (clong = 5920 m/s, ctrans =3250 m/s).
So, clong = 5800 m/s might be a suitable average value, but sometimes it can be also down to 5400 m/s.
You have to use suitable control specimens or you have calibrate on the test specimen directly.

Regards
Uli Mletzko
NDT Group, MPA
University of Stuttgart, Germany

Kris Smestad
Kris Smestad
06:46 Mar-14-2003
: Please,
: plexiglass
: perspex (lucite)
: I really cannot find accurate values.
: Thank you in advance.

Keep it simple. If you have a known thickness of a material, you can determine it's exact velocity. Measure a sample with a micrometer. Set your screen range on your A-scan to twice that thickness. After compensating for probe delay, adjust your velocity so you have one signal at 50% and one at 100%.

Easy, right?

Product Spotlight

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

Exertus Dual 120

The Exertus Dual 120 Projector has the ability to accept Iridium 192 sources or Selenium 75 source
s. This projector incorporates design and safety features that make it flexible, compact and lightweight. The Projector is lighter than most of its competitors. It incorporates an improved source channel, based on a new helicoidal design, which makes maintenance easier. The helicoidal design also allows smoother movement of the source assembly inside the device, making it easier for the operator and improving safety. The Projector also has a unique safety feature not found in competitive products. The source assembly locking mechanism is triggered by the source holder capsule at the front of the source assembly, thereby always assuring the operator that the source has returned to the safe position. The Exertus Dual 120 is ISO3999:2004 compliant.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window