where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Eli Brosh
Eli Brosh
04:18 Mar-10-2003
Pulsed Eddy Current : advantage over conventional EC

What is the advantages of pulsed eddy current over conventional EC ?
Does Pulsed eddy current provide better lift-off compensation than conventional eddy current ? Can Pulsed eddy current be used with larger lift-off or larger lift-off variations than conventional EC ?

Dave Forsyth
R & D
TRI/Austin, USA, Joined Nov 2001, 41

Dave Forsyth

R & D
TRI/Austin,
USA,
Joined Nov 2001
02:13 Mar-10-2003
Re: Pulsed Eddy Current : advantage over conventional EC
All answers IMHO...

: What is the advantages of pulsed eddy current over conventional EC ?
Inherently more information is available in pulsed EC. This can be a disadvantage.

: Does Pulsed eddy current provide better lift-off compensation than conventional eddy current ?
There is no automatic lift-off compensation. It is possible to do so lift-off compensation successfully, and has been demonstrated by many groups including one in which I participate.

:Can Pulsed eddy current be used with larger lift-off or larger lift-off variations than conventional EC ?
This is a good question. I would think the answer would be yes, at least in theory.

It is probably simpler to use multiple single frequencies to mix out liftoff in cases where liftoff is regular (i.e. due to well defined geometry). Then one can highly optimize the mixing.

In other cases where liftoff can vary unpredictably over a large range, the liftoff compensation schemes used in many pulsed EC implementations are likely superior. For example, we developed a liftoff compensation algorithm for inspection of aircraft fuselage splice joints, where manufacturing and corrosion-induced deformations make for varying and unpredictable tilt and liftoff. Our algorithm works well over a large range of liftoff values for this case.

One of my colleagues was able to do a pretty good job of compensation in the same case using three frequencies, but it was a lot more difficult.

Regards, Dave

Tom Bloodworth
Consultant, R&D
Bloodworth Consulting Limited, United Kingdom, Joined Aug 2002, 12

Tom Bloodworth

Consultant, R&D
Bloodworth Consulting Limited,
United Kingdom,
Joined Aug 2002
09:20 Mar-11-2003
Re: Pulsed Eddy Current : advantage over conventional EC
: What is the advantages of pulsed eddy current over conventional EC ?
: Does Pulsed eddy current provide better lift-off compensation than conventional eddy current ? Can Pulsed eddy current be used with larger lift-off or larger lift-off variations than conventional EC ?

Despite having worked in ECT for many years, I was never sure what advantages pulsed eddy currents gave. Now working with metal detectors - I know that pulsed detectors are supposed to be less influenced by the susceptibility of the soil. The idea is that the response is sampled after the initial pulse (strongly dependent on the soil susceptibility) has died away. Unfortunately things are more complicated than this as the susceptibility is complex (freq. dependent) so it does not quite work...

So my follow-up question is; is pulsed eddy current intended to be less dependent on the magnetic characteristics of the metal?

Product Spotlight

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window