where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Wave spreading at various frequencies in piezo strips
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:15 Mar-12-2003
John
Wave spreading at various frequencies in piezo strips

I am currently involved in a project investigating simple transducer arrays, where the transducers are merely strips of peizo electric material.

At lower frequencies the longditudinal waves spread out more increasing the range of the array, at higher frequencys the scan is more focused.

My question is why? Is it due to simple diffraction from the surface of the strip?

06:21 Mar-12-2003

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Wave spreading at various frequencies in piezo strips You are correct in assuming this is a diffraction effect.
go to this website for a better explantion;

http://www.ndt.net/article/az/ut_idx.htm

Ed

: I am currently involved in a project investigating simple transducer arrays, where the transducers are merely strips of peizo electric material.
: At lower frequencies the longditudinal waves spread out more increasing the range of the array, at higher frequencys the scan is more focused.
: My question is why? Is it due to simple diffraction from the surface of the strip?

02:26 Jun-30-2003
Edward Purchase
Re: Wave spreading at various frequencies in piezo strips Hello,

I am conducting and investigation into the peizoelectric effect. Did you make the peizo strips yourself? And if so, how?

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|