where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT for thin material
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

DASEL SISTEMAS
Our Phased Array equipments, based on SITAU Technology, are among the PAS highest performance in the market.

08:44 Mar-13-2003

Hanurajie Baskan

Teacher, NDT Instructor
National Nuclear Energy Agency,
Japan,
Joined Oct 1999
UT for thin material

Dear Everybody,
I'd like to ask to ndt forum about my new specimen TiNi (as actuator). What kind NDT method should I use for this one?. The thickness is 130 micro after rolling. Is there probability by ultrasonic, what kind method of UT?. I was trying by UT immersion 35 MHz focus tranducer, but really unsatisfied. Is there anybody can suggest to me.
Thank you in advance.
Best regard

Baskan

09:17 Mar-13-2003
Kris Van de Rostyne
Re: UT for thin material Hello,
One possible solution to increase the bandwidth could be to use laser-ultrasonics. In this method, the ultrasonic waves are generated by the thermo-elastic expansion caused by the absorption of an incident laser pulse. The shorter the pulse-duration, the higher the bandwidth and resolution (but unfortunately, the higher the price I am afraid). For your application, a laser producing pulses of a few nanoseconds (e.g. Nd:YAG) should probably be convenient. Do you want to use UT for defect detection or for characterisation of properties?
Greetings,
Kris

: Dear Everybody,
: I'd like to ask to ndt forum about my new specimen TiNi (as actuator). What kind NDT method should I use for this one?. The thickness is 130 micro after rolling. Is there probability by ultrasonic, what kind method of UT?. I was trying by UT immersion 35 MHz focus tranducer, but really unsatisfied. Is there anybody can suggest to me.
: Thank you in advance.
: Best regard
: Baskan

01:56 Mar-13-2003

C. Valdecantos

Engineering
MTORRES, Ing.,
Spain,
Joined May 2001
Re: UT for thin material Depending on what are you looking for, some other ndt technique may be of use. For example, if the problem is to measure the thickness, Eddy Current may be the best, although this (Ti base?) alloy will probably show a very low conductivity. EC will also provide information (or even positive indication) on other parameters like cracks, inhomogeneities, laminar defects.

If EC is not suitable, perhaps thermografic analysis would be of use. In this case, the (supposed)low thermal conductivity of the material will help.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|