where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT testing
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:57 Mar-20-2003

Chris

Engineering
ITWL,
Poland,
Joined Nov 2002
UT testing

I'm looking for UT methods testing thin aluminum layer (1mm) with corrosion defects from the bottom. This is typical in multilayer structure. Can You suggest me some methods (including some propositions parameters configurations). I'm working with automated scannig system.

02:23 Mar-20-2003

John Rodgers

Consultant
Acoustic Emission Consulting, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Oct 2001
Re: UT testing : I'm looking for UT methods testing thin aluminum layer (1mm) with corrosion defects from the bottom. This is typical in multilayer structure. Can You suggest me some methods (including some propositions parameters configurations). I'm working with automated scannig system.
You might be better off working with an eddy current approach. I used this method on thin-skinned aluminum-to-wood shelters with corrosion on the bonded interface.

02:36 Mar-20-2003

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: UT testing : : I'm looking for UT methods testing thin aluminum layer (1mm) with corrosion defects from the bottom. This is typical in multilayer structure. Can You suggest me some methods (including some propositions parameters configurations). I'm working with automated scannig system.
: .
: You might be better off working with an eddy current approach. I used this method on thin-skinned aluminum-to-wood shelters with corrosion on the bonded interface.

I agree with Mr. Rodgers. With properly designed probes Eddy Current can be used to assess even the layers below the first layer. As well, ECT is easily automated.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|