where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
OCTG Inspection
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:05 Mar-22-2003
Nick Welland
OCTG Inspection

When doing UT slip/upset inspection of 5 1/2 in drill pipe to DS-1 standard, we are getting many rejections for circumferential indications on the bore. All near the end of the slip area, up to 2 in long and 6 - 8 dB over the notch echo. The pipe has only been down one hole, and there was a fractured pipe during the drilling. Is cracking to this extent usual on pipe with so little use? What is best frequency and transducer size for this size pipe?
Best Regards
Nick

05:23 Mar-22-2003

Edward Fisher

NDT Inspector
Canada,
Joined Oct 2002
Re: OCTG Inspection : When doing UT slip/upset inspection of 5 1/2 in drill pipe to DS-1 standard, we are getting many rejections for circumferential indications on the bore. All near the end of the slip area, up to 2 in long and 6 - 8 dB over the notch echo. The pipe has only been down one hole, and there was a fractured pipe during the drilling. Is cracking to this extent usual on pipe with so little use? What is best frequency and transducer size for this size pipe?
: Best Regards
: Nick
It is not normal but I have seen it several times. Have you cut any of the lengths if so are the cracks superfical or do they have some depth. When you say end of slip area are you referring to pipe or the took joint side of the slip? In other words are you in the transition area or in the pipe? Is the Grant Prideco pipe?

05:16 Mar-23-2003
Nick Welland
Re: OCTG Inspection : : When doing UT slip/upset inspection of 5 1/2 in drill pipe to DS-1 standard, we are getting many rejections for circumferential indications on the bore. All near the end of the slip area, up to 2 in long and 6 - 8 dB over the notch echo. The pipe has only been down one hole, and there was a fractured pipe during the drilling. Is cracking to this extent usual on pipe with so little use? What is best frequency and transducer size for this size pipe?
: : Best Regards
: : Nick
: .
: It is not normal but I have seen it several times. Have you cut any of the lengths if so are the cracks superfical or do they have some depth. When you say end of slip area are you referring to pipe or the took joint side of the slip? In other words are you in the transition area or in the pipe? Is the Grant Prideco pipe?
We have not cut any from this batch yet. Defect signals are in the pipe itself. Pipe is Grant Prideco.

08:02 Mar-23-2003

Edward Fisher

NDT Inspector
Canada,
Joined Oct 2002
Re: OCTG Inspection : : : When doing UT slip/upset inspection of 5 1/2 in drill pipe to DS-1 standard, we are getting many rejections for circumferential indications on the bore. All near the end of the slip area, up to 2 in long and 6 - 8 dB over the notch echo. The pipe has only been down one hole, and there was a fractured pipe during the drilling. Is cracking to this extent usual on pipe with so little use? What is best frequency and transducer size for this size pipe?
: : : Best Regards
: : : Nick
: : .
: : It is not normal but I have seen it several times. Have you cut any of the lengths if so are the cracks superfical or do they have some depth. When you say end of slip area are you referring to pipe or the took joint side of the slip? In other words are you in the transition area or in the pipe? Is the Grant Prideco pipe?
: .
: We have not cut any from this batch yet. Defect signals are in the pipe itself. Pipe is Grant Prideco.

I can only ask a couple more questions and I am sure you have likely already looked into it but do you have any squaring in the tube to indicate that there is any slip damage, and is the ID of the tube clean so that there is no signal from the ID condition such as mud or fluids. The only other thing I would suggest is for you to have a disussion with Wayne @ New Tech Systems as he is the best person that I know of that can likely give you some direction they are located in Midland Texas and Houston Wayne can normally be found in the Houston office. Their phone numbers can be found on the web.

Edward

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|