where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
EXTREME VALUE STATISTIC
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

FOMA Bohemia Ltd.
FOMA Bohemia is a traditional producer of industrial radiographic films INDUX and related accessories.

06:08 Mar-24-2003

JACKY CHEN

Engineering
Taiwan, Province of China,
Joined Aug 2002
EXTREME VALUE STATISTIC

Dear all:

Can anybody tell me what is the "Extreme Value Statistic" means? Also, could anybody tell me where I can get sone information about the "Extreme Value Statictics"?

06:49 Mar-24-2003
Kris Van de Rostyne
Re: EXTREME VALUE STATISTIC : Dear all:
: Can anybody tell me what is the "Extreme Value Statistic" means? Also, could anybody tell me where I can get sone information about the "Extreme Value Statictics"?
Hello,
Extreme value statistics is used in NDT to describe the statistical behavior of local corrosion phenomena like e.g. pitting corrosion. E.g. Leaking of a container will result as soon as ONE ('extreme') pit is as large as the container wall thickness. To predict a maximum expected pit depth from a limited set of measurements, extreme value calculations are required. Care should be taken when sampling the data.
Details can be found in:
*”Introduction to life prediction of industrial plant materials: Application of the extreme value statistical method for corrosion analysis”, editor M. Kowaka, Allerton Press Inc., 1994
*”Extremes: Statistical Theory and Applications in Science, Engineering and Economics”, Editor-in-Chief: H. Rootzén, Kluwer, 1999

Hope this helps,

Kris

00:27 Apr-21-2005
F.Mustapha
Re: EXTREME VALUE STATISTIC : : Dear all:
: .
: : Can anybody tell me what is the "Extreme Value Statistic" means? Also, could anybody tell me where I can get sone information about the "Extreme Value Statictics"?
: .
: Hello,
: Extreme value statistics is used in NDT to describe the statistical behavior of local corrosion phenomena like e.g. pitting corrosion. E.g. Leaking of a container will result as soon as ONE ('extreme') pit is as large as the container wall thickness. To predict a maximum expected pit depth from a limited set of measurements, extreme value calculations are required. Care should be taken when sampling the data.
: Details can be found in:
: *”Introduction to life prediction of industrial plant materials: Application of the extreme value statistical method for corrosion analysis”, editor M. Kowaka, Allerton Press Inc., 1994
: *”Extremes: Statistical Theory and Applications in Science, Engineering and Economics”, Editor-in-Chief: H. Rootzén, Kluwer, 1999
: Hope this helps,
: Kris

Principle Component Analysis (PCA) is one of EVS methods that have the capability to reduce dimension in vectorial form of data. Try any search engine to get this definition or if you're in doubt you can contact me and i'll send few journals paper that relates with this statistical approaches.

cheers

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|