where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Steven Younge
Steven Younge
02:08 Apr-03-2003
Ultrasound Imaging system Pulser & RF power amplifier

Hi, Everyone:

I am a student. While I read ultrasound articles I was confused by several terms as below:

Transmitter; (RF) Power amplifier (for example, class E power amp); Pulser.

I understood maybe transmitter means Pulser or (RF) Power amplifier, but what is different between Pulser and RF Power amplifier used in ultrasound transmitter? Is RF Power amplifier a part of Pulser or vice versa in ultrasound transmitter? When designing ultrasound transmitter hardware, whether or not transmitter should have separate Pulser and RF Power amplifier?

I knew Puler could produce spike (needle pulse), or short square wave; RF power amplifier amplifies tone burst, sine wave, or other wave that produced by DDS (direct digital synthesizer) or AWG (arbitrary wave generator)for driving transducer.

Could somebody help me?

Thanks in advance,

Steven

My e-mail address is as follow:

rfchip5@yahoo.ca

Joe Buckley, Sonatest PLc
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 528

Joe Buckley, Sonatest PLc

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
03:38 Apr-03-2003
Re: Ultrasound Imaging system Pulser & RF power amplifier
Your Understanding is spot on. I have only heard an RF Power amp being mentioned in Ultrasonics in relation to tone-burst or arbitrary waveform transducer energisation. Even then it will often be described ( and I plead guilty myself!) as a 'tone burst pulser'

Joe

: Hi, Everyone:
: I am a student. While I read ultrasound articles I was confused by several terms as below:
: Transmitter; (RF) Power amplifier (for example, class E power amp); Pulser.
: I understood maybe transmitter means Pulser or (RF) Power amplifier, but what is different between Pulser and RF Power amplifier used in ultrasound transmitter? Is RF Power amplifier a part of Pulser or vice versa in ultrasound transmitter? When designing ultrasound transmitter hardware, whether or not transmitter should have separate Pulser and RF Power amplifier?
: I knew Puler could produce spike (needle pulse), or short square wave; RF power amplifier amplifies tone burst, sine wave, or other wave that produced by DDS (direct digital synthesizer) or AWG (arbitrary wave generator)for driving transducer.
: Could somebody help me?
: Thanks in advance,
: Steven
: My e-mail address is as follow:
: rfchip5@yahoo.ca

Joerg Schulze-Clewing
Joerg Schulze-Clewing
00:32 Apr-04-2003
Re: Ultrasound Imaging system Pulser & RF power amplifier
Steve, just adding to Joe's comments:

A pulser is usually a transistor stage that switches a
high voltage to make a single pulse or a whole train of
pulses. It can be seen as a "digital" circuit or in the
language of RF engineers a class C circuit.

Amplifiers are usually linear, so they follow the amplitude
of the input signal. Most of those are operating in a
push-pull configuration and the way they are biased is
often leading to the description class AB. Very similar
to the way the final amp in a stereo works, except that
you'll see very expensive transistors in there and a
few toroid transformers.

All the best, Joerg.

: Hi, Everyone:
: I am a student. While I read ultrasound articles I was confused by several terms as below:
: Transmitter; (RF) Power amplifier (for example, class E power amp); Pulser.
: I understood maybe transmitter means Pulser or (RF) Power amplifier, but what is different between Pulser and RF Power amplifier used in ultrasound transmitter? Is RF Power amplifier a part of Pulser or vice versa in ultrasound transmitter? When designing ultrasound transmitter hardware, whether or not transmitter should have separate Pulser and RF Power amplifier?
: I knew Puler could produce spike (needle pulse), or short square wave; RF power amplifier amplifies tone burst, sine wave, or other wave that produced by DDS (direct digital synthesizer) or AWG (arbitrary wave generator)for driving transducer.
: Could somebody help me?
: Thanks in advance,
: Steven
: My e-mail address is as follow:
: rfchip5@yahoo.ca

jakjoud
jakjoud
02:13 Mar-23-2005
articles
Hi everyone,
I'm a student in second year of master, I'm interesting on measure using the ultrasound technics, and I'm searching some articles about this stuff;
could you help me please?

Product Spotlight

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Customized Probes and Transducers

With a strong development department and our own piezocomposite production, we accompany you from th
e first product idea to serial production. Our scientists are continuously researching new methods in the field of ultrasonic measurement technology. The progress achieved enables us to offer you optimal solutions.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

MANTIS

MANTIS is a compact, powerful and affordable flaw detector (16:64PR), dedicated to field operators
. This portable equipment offers standard (electronic-, sector-, compound scan, conventional UT for pulse-echo, dual array and TOFD inspections), and advanced phased-array (real-time TFM -Total Focusing Method). MANTIS benefits from the same intuitive and user-friendly interface (CAPTURE) than Gekko for easier inspections.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window