where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Re: TOFD Ultrasonic System
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Controle Mesure Systemes
Contrôle Mesure Systèmes designs, develops and manufactures nearly 30 years a complete NDT range of products in eddy current and ultrasonic testing methods.

01:04 Apr-08-2003

Charlie Jackson

Engineering
MBINSPECTION,
United Kingdom,
Joined Aug 2003
Re: TOFD Ultrasonic System

: Could anybody provide me the best source for purchasing a TOFD
: ultrasonic system for evaluating HIC/SOHIC occurence on pressure vessel and pipelines up to 3" OD minimum in the LNG plant situated in an offshore environment. I've heard of Ultratek system from US, but I could not justify them fully to our Cost Control Department because there are other similar system available in UK which seems to be more commercially acceptable.
: I believe that only those with vast experience on the use of this equipment could give a better appraisal as they would know the hidden weakness of various system available in the market.

In line with some of the previous messages posted TOFD would not be a first line tool in the location and quantification of HIC, considerable work can be performed using manual pulse echo but for monitoring purposes Automated Pulse Echo is really the only tried and tested method. TOFD may have some use in the examination of SOHIC at the HAZ put the seperations likely to be associated with the degradation mechanism could well cause confusion during interpratation. Whatever you decide I would suggest you do not use it as a stand alone technique at any time for this application.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|