where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

DASEL SISTEMAS
Our Phased Array equipments, based on SITAU Technology, are among the PAS highest performance in the market.

Technical Discussions
Devendra Kumar
Devendra Kumar
03:09 Apr-09-2003
X ray of 9 % Ni welds

i am feeling a difficulty in getting required density in radiography of 9 % Ni material welds.
Can any one suggest me what parameter to be used for the same.

I tried with 280 Kv & 5 mA
Thichness - 10-25 mm

But i am getting a high density in HAZ & PM

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
06:46 Apr-09-2003
Re: X ray of 9 % Ni welds
: i am feeling a difficulty in getting required density in radiography of 9 % Ni material welds.
: Can any one suggest me what parameter to be used for the same.
: I tried with 280 Kv & 5 mA
: Thichness - 10-25 mm
:
: But i am getting a high density in HAZ & PM

Devendra,

I would suggest trying a faster film if you are able. The wider latitude may suffice in bring the densities close enough together for a single film technique. A multi film technique is another option. Filtering the beam is yet another option. I personally use 0.073" of aluminum to filter out the weaker end of the spectrum and cut back on scatter. Often times, cutting out the scatter and accenting the primary is all you need.

Fred Raco, Jr.
Consultant,
RNDT, Inc., USA, Joined Jul 2002, 24

Fred Raco, Jr.

Consultant,
RNDT, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jul 2002
02:02 Apr-10-2003
: i am feeling a difficulty in getting required density in radiography of 9 % Ni material welds.
: Can any one suggest me what parameter to be used for the same.
: I tried with 280 Kv & 5 mA
: Thichness - 10-25 mm
:
: But i am getting a high density in HAZ & PM

You may want to try using two different film speeds in the same cassette for each exposure. One film may cover the weld material and the other film may cover the HAZ & PM. This will require a penetrameter for the weld, the HAZ, and the PM.
Regards,
Fred Raco, Jr.
President - RNDT, Inc.
Johnstown, PA

James
James
06:16 Apr-14-2003
: :

i am feeling a difficulty in getting required density in radiography of 9 % Ni material welds.
: : Can any one suggest me what parameter to be used for the same.
: .
: : I tried with 280 Kv & 5 mA
: : Thichness - 10-25 mm
: : But i am getting a high density in HAZ & PM
: You may want to try using two different film speeds in the same cassette for each exposure. One film may cover the weld material and the other film may cover the HAZ & PM. This will require a penetrameter for the weld, the HAZ, and the PM.
: Regards,
: Fred Raco, Jr.
: President - RNDT, Inc.
: Johnstown, PA
I think your penetrating power is much too high for that material thickness (1/2" - 1"), reduce the KV to 180.
James Ray
President
Worldspec

Mike
Mike
03:39 Apr-14-2003
: : :
:
: : : Can any one suggest me what parameter to be used for the same.
: : .
: : : I tried with 280 Kv & 5 mA
: : : Thichness - 10-25 mm
: : :
: : : But i am getting a high density in HAZ & PM
: : You may want to try using two different film speeds in the same cassette for each exposure. One film may cover the weld material and the other film may cover the HAZ & PM. This will require a penetrameter for the weld, the HAZ, and the PM.
: : Regards,
: : Fred Raco, Jr.
: : President - RNDT, Inc.
: : Johnstown, PA
: I think your penetrating power is much too high for that material thickness (1/2" - 1"), reduce the KV to 180.
: James Ray
: President
: Worldspec
Of course, the *President* of Worldspec would know that a reduced Kv would make the problem worse :-)

But seriously, if the problem is so bad, isn't the weld cap and/or root, too high/thick and not acceptable to specification?

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
04:39 Apr-16-2003
: : : :
: : i am feeling a difficulty in getting required density in radiography of 9 % Ni material welds.
: : : : Can any one suggest me what parameter to be used for the same.
: : : .
: : : : I tried with 280 Kv & 5 mA
: : : : Thichness - 10-25 mm
: : : :
: : : : But i am getting a high density in HAZ & PM
: : : You may want to try using two different film speeds in the same cassette for each exposure. One film may cover the weld material and the other film may cover the HAZ & PM. This will require a penetrameter for the weld, the HAZ, and the PM.
: : : Regards,
: : : Fred Raco, Jr.
: : : President - RNDT, Inc.
: : : Johnstown, PA
: : : .
: : I think your penetrating power is much too high for that material thickness (1/2" - 1"), reduce the KV to 180.
: : James Ray
: : President
: : Worldspec
: Of course, the *President* of Worldspec would know that a reduced Kv would make the problem worse :-)
: But seriously, if the problem is so bad, isn't the weld cap and/or root, too high/thick and not acceptable to specification?
Before this gets any worse lets find out something about the materials involved. A 9% Ni weld tells me nothing. What is the base metal? What is the filler wire? The AMS numbers may tell everything. One of the turbine cases I shoot is made of A-286, a specialty stainless with app. 25% Ni. The filler wire is an AMS 5786 with a 63% Ni content. With no build up the filler wire stands out like a sore thumb.

Product Spotlight

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window