where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
X ray of 9 % Ni welds
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:09 Apr-09-2003
Devendra Kumar
X ray of 9 % Ni welds

i am feeling a difficulty in getting required density in radiography of 9 % Ni material welds.
Can any one suggest me what parameter to be used for the same.

I tried with 280 Kv & 5 mA
Thichness - 10-25 mm

But i am getting a high density in HAZ & PM

06:46 Apr-09-2003
DJ Kallhof
Re: X ray of 9 % Ni welds : i am feeling a difficulty in getting required density in radiography of 9 % Ni material welds.
: Can any one suggest me what parameter to be used for the same.
: I tried with 280 Kv & 5 mA
: Thichness - 10-25 mm
:
: But i am getting a high density in HAZ & PM

Devendra,

I would suggest trying a faster film if you are able. The wider latitude may suffice in bring the densities close enough together for a single film technique. A multi film technique is another option. Filtering the beam is yet another option. I personally use 0.073" of aluminum to filter out the weaker end of the spectrum and cut back on scatter. Often times, cutting out the scatter and accenting the primary is all you need.

02:02 Apr-10-2003

Fred Raco, Jr.

Consultant, Partner in NDT Laboratory
RNDT, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jul 2002
Re: X ray of 9 % Ni welds : i am feeling a difficulty in getting required density in radiography of 9 % Ni material welds.
: Can any one suggest me what parameter to be used for the same.
: I tried with 280 Kv & 5 mA
: Thichness - 10-25 mm
:
: But i am getting a high density in HAZ & PM

You may want to try using two different film speeds in the same cassette for each exposure. One film may cover the weld material and the other film may cover the HAZ & PM. This will require a penetrameter for the weld, the HAZ, and the PM.
Regards,
Fred Raco, Jr.
President - RNDT, Inc.
Johnstown, PA

06:16 Apr-14-2003
James
Re: X ray of 9 % Ni welds : :

i am feeling a difficulty in getting required density in radiography of 9 % Ni material welds.
: : Can any one suggest me what parameter to be used for the same.
: .
: : I tried with 280 Kv & 5 mA
: : Thichness - 10-25 mm
: :
: : But i am getting a high density in HAZ & PM
: You may want to try using two different film speeds in the same cassette for each exposure. One film may cover the weld material and the other film may cover the HAZ & PM. This will require a penetrameter for the weld, the HAZ, and the PM.
: Regards,
: Fred Raco, Jr.
: President - RNDT, Inc.
: Johnstown, PA
I think your penetrating power is much too high for that material thickness (1/2" - 1"), reduce the KV to 180.
James Ray
President
Worldspec

03:39 Apr-14-2003
Mike
Re: X ray of 9 % Ni welds : : :
:
: i am feeling a difficulty in getting required density in radiography of 9 % Ni material welds.
: : : Can any one suggest me what parameter to be used for the same.
: : .
: : : I tried with 280 Kv & 5 mA
: : : Thichness - 10-25 mm
: : :
: : : But i am getting a high density in HAZ & PM
: : You may want to try using two different film speeds in the same cassette for each exposure. One film may cover the weld material and the other film may cover the HAZ & PM. This will require a penetrameter for the weld, the HAZ, and the PM.
: : Regards,
: : Fred Raco, Jr.
: : President - RNDT, Inc.
: : Johnstown, PA
: I think your penetrating power is much too high for that material thickness (1/2" - 1"), reduce the KV to 180.
: James Ray
: President
: Worldspec
Of course, the *President* of Worldspec would know that a reduced Kv would make the problem worse :-)

But seriously, if the problem is so bad, isn't the weld cap and/or root, too high/thick and not acceptable to specification?

04:39 Apr-16-2003
DJ Kallhof
Re: X ray of 9 % Ni welds : : : :
: :
: : i am feeling a difficulty in getting required density in radiography of 9 % Ni material welds.
: : : : Can any one suggest me what parameter to be used for the same.
: : : .
: : : : I tried with 280 Kv & 5 mA
: : : : Thichness - 10-25 mm
: : : :
: : : : But i am getting a high density in HAZ & PM
: : : You may want to try using two different film speeds in the same cassette for each exposure. One film may cover the weld material and the other film may cover the HAZ & PM. This will require a penetrameter for the weld, the HAZ, and the PM.
: : : Regards,
: : : Fred Raco, Jr.
: : : President - RNDT, Inc.
: : : Johnstown, PA
: : : .
: : I think your penetrating power is much too high for that material thickness (1/2" - 1"), reduce the KV to 180.
: : James Ray
: : President
: : Worldspec
: Of course, the *President* of Worldspec would know that a reduced Kv would make the problem worse :-)
: But seriously, if the problem is so bad, isn't the weld cap and/or root, too high/thick and not acceptable to specification?
Before this gets any worse lets find out something about the materials involved. A 9% Ni weld tells me nothing. What is the base metal? What is the filler wire? The AMS numbers may tell everything. One of the turbine cases I shoot is made of A-286, a specialty stainless with app. 25% Ni. The filler wire is an AMS 5786 with a 63% Ni content. With no build up the filler wire stands out like a sore thumb.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|