where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
measuring thickness of coextruded plastic
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

FI Test- und Messtechnik GmbH

06:20 Apr-28-2003
Sherry Whitaker
measuring thickness of coextruded plastic

I am trying to find a sound analytical technique to measure the thickness of a layer of co extruded crystallized plastic. Approximate total thickness of about 20-25ml , the top layer needing measured is around 5 to 10% of total.

Any info you can provide will be appreciated.

04:57 Apr-29-2003
Dr. Patel
Re: measuring thickness of coextruded plastic : I am trying to find a sound analytical technique to measure the thickness of a layer of co extruded crystallized plastic. Approximate total thickness of about 20-25ml , the top layer needing measured is around 5 to 10% of total.
: Any info you can provide will be appreciated.
We have measured plastic thickness down to 100 micron with micron accuracy. The system can be used for on-line application. If you are interested please contact me at fallon@netcom.ca. We are using very simple pulse echo technique with broadband pulse of 50 MHz. Some error may occur due to nature of plastic where velocity of material may change.
Regards
Dr. Patel
Fallon Ultrasonics Inc
905-388-7853
Fax 905 387 5897

05:29 May-08-2003

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
Re: measuring thickness of coextruded plastic : : I am trying to find a sound analytical technique to measure the thickness of a layer of co extruded crystallized plastic. Approximate total thickness of about 20-25ml , the top layer needing measured is around 5 to 10% of total.
: .
: : Any info you can provide will be appreciated.
: .
: We have measured plastic thickness down to 100 micron with micron accuracy. The system can be used for on-line application. If you are interested please contact me at fallon@netcom.ca. We are using very simple pulse echo technique with broadband pulse of 50 MHz. Some error may occur due to nature of plastic where velocity of material may change.
: Regards
: Dr. Patel
: Fallon Ultrasonics Inc
: 905-388-7853
: Fax 905 387 5897
Some years ago I was involved in trying to measure the total wall thickness of co extruded plastic containers. The total thickness was about 2.0 - 2.5 mm which comprised of three layers with the centre layer being made from recycled plastic.Using ultrasonics, a digital caliper, we were not able to penetrate the full thickness and were only ever able to measure the first layer which was about 0.5mm thick. We used a 22MHz probe on a gauge type CL202P.
Therefore depending on the grain size of the crystalized plastic outer layer you should try using a shockwave probe in the frequency of 15 - 25 MHz plus a UFD high frequency capabilities or a Krautkramer thickness gauge from the CL range.
If all this doesn't work can you send a sample to us for trials.

Regards

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|