where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Matthias Gester
Matthias Gester
09:02 Jan-13-1999
stress measurement

I try to derive shear stress from time-of-flight
measurements of surface waves travelling across my
stressed workpiece. As long as any other parameters
are kept constant this should be straight forward.

Being a newcomer to the field I am confused as to
how the elastic modulus of my material and the temperature affect the time-of-flight.
Are stress, elastic modulus, and temperature 3
independent variables entering the equation for the
velocity or are they related to each other (I know
that the elastic modulus is temperature dependent,
is this the only connection between velocity and
temperature?) Is their an analytical expression which
relates these 3 quantities to the velocity.

A second question concerns the direction of travel,
does it matter whether the wave travels in direction
of the shear force or opposite to it.

I would be very grateful if the experts could give me
some help with probably rather basic questions.
Thanks
Matthias

Product Spotlight

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window