where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
CW pulsers
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:50 Jan-14-1999

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
CW pulsers

I would like to carry out some research using continuous waves but continuous wave pulsers are a rare item these days.
There used to be a unit made by ARULABs, the ARULAB Model PG650 pulsed oscillator, but it is no longer available.
Does anyone know where I could get a used PG650? (it could be tuned between 0.5 to 25MHz and voltage was selectable from 0 to 2000Volts)

Are there similar options made by anyone? or are there any other practical options I can consider?

Thanks
Ed

04:23 Jan-14-1999
Wieslaw Bicz
Re: CW pulsers : I would like to carry out some research using continuous waves but continuous wave pulsers are a rare item these days.
: There used to be a unit made by ARULABs, the ARULAB Model PG650 pulsed oscillator, but it is no longer available.
: Does anyone know where I could get a used PG650? (it could be tuned between 0.5 to 25MHz and voltage was selectable from 0 to 2000Volts)

: Are there similar options made by anyone? or are there any other practical options I can consider?

: Thanks
: Ed

I think, we can do such a device for you, please specify your needs. It
is not a standard product of us, but we have made some such devices for
special purposes and have enough experience. Tell us, how large should
be a power on the output and the impedance of the transducers you want
to use.

Wieslaw Bicz

04:35 Jan-14-1999
Richard Freemantle
Re: CW pulsers : I would like to carry out some research using continuous waves but continuous wave pulsers are a rare item these days.
: There used to be a unit made by ARULABs, the ARULAB Model PG650 pulsed oscillator, but it is no longer available.
: Does anyone know where I could get a used PG650? (it could be tuned between 0.5 to 25MHz and voltage was selectable from 0 to 2000Volts)

: Are there similar options made by anyone? or are there any other practical options I can consider?

: Thanks
: Ed

Dear Ed,

We used to do some work with gated tone bursts for Lamb wave excitation. We employed an arbitrary function
generator and amplified the signals with some wideband power amps. The function generator could also be used to
generate continuous wave signals. The kit was quite old but you might be able to track down something similar.

The function generator was a LeCroy 9100, it could clock out signals with a max rate of 200 MHz and could hold up to a 32K
point waveform. It could also be programmed as a sine wave frequency generator with a frequency range of 0.05 Hz to 200 MHz.
The waveform output level was variable up to about 10 Volts.

The power amps were two Research Communications 9045 power amps (MOSFET I think) with a gain of about 20 dB each. I think these gave
a max output of about 50 Volts.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Richard Freemantle

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|