where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Researching UT equipment
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:42 May-22-2003
Dwayne Roberts
Researching UT equipment

I am researching the feasiblity of developeing a UT capability in-house to inspect mechanical parts (housings,shafts, etc.) for cracks and particularly to inspect babbitted journal bearings for babbitt bond. The equipment should be field capable,portable and suitable for the types of inspections mentioned above. I am not UT certified, which is another part of this research, to see who does this and to which standard. We are thinking level 11 would be sufficient for our purpose. From this website it appears there are dozens of manufacturers of this equipment, I was hoping to narrow my search with the experience of the members of this forum.

02:58 May-22-2003

Joe Buckley,

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Researching UT equipment The point that 'it depends what you're doing' can't be overstated:

From the capabilities point of view, general purpose equipment from all the main manufacturers, i.e. ourselves (Sonatest), Staveley, GE Panametrics, and GE/Agfa/Krautkramer as well as a number of others are likely to perform adequately for all 'standard' applications, the main differences are in 'feel' i.e display type, shape and size, menu structures etc.

People have different preferences - what one user considers flexible another will feel is over-complicated. It's like test driving a car - There is no substitute for getting your hands on one to decide if you like it.

Two other points - A company like Shell will have level III expertise available - talk to yours. I doubt you will be able to do anything 'outside the system'

And local reps vary a lot, Most good NDT reps are engineers first, salesmen second, Very few (even our competitors!) will sell you equipment that is unsuitable - develop a relationship with your local ones and decide which you feel comfortable with.

Hope that helps

Joe

: I am researching the feasiblity of developeing a UT capability in-house to inspect mechanical parts (housings,shafts, etc.) for cracks and particularly to inspect babbitted journal bearings for babbitt bond. The equipment should be field capable,portable and suitable for the types of inspections mentioned above. I am not UT certified, which is another part of this research, to see who does this and to which standard. We are thinking level 11 would be sufficient for our purpose. From this website it appears there are dozens of manufacturers of this equipment, I was hoping to narrow my search with the experience of the members of this forum.

00:21 May-23-2003

Jason Taylor

Consultant
Oceaneering,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jul 2002
Re: Researching UT equipment : I am researching the feasiblity of developeing a UT capability in-house to inspect mechanical parts (housings,shafts, etc.) for cracks and particularly to inspect babbitted journal bearings for babbitt bond. The equipment should be field capable,portable and suitable for the types of inspections mentioned above. I am not UT certified, which is another part of this research, to see who does this and to which standard. We are thinking level 11 would be sufficient for our purpose. From this website it appears there are dozens of manufacturers of this equipment, I was hoping to narrow my search with the experience of the members of this forum.

Contact Oceaneering OiS plc - They have a training school and the operatives who could carry out these sorts of tests if required www.ois-plc.com

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|