where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

TWI
TWI is a global leader in technology engineering providing research and consultancy to its members in the field of materials and selection, joining, inspection, NDT and structural integrity management.

Technical Discussions
Rastislav Milan
NDT Inspector
U.S.Steel Kosice s.r.o, Slovak Republic, Joined Aug 2002, 4

Rastislav Milan

NDT Inspector
U.S.Steel Kosice s.r.o,
Slovak Republic,
Joined Aug 2002
04:29 Jun-12-2003
measure of thickness Ni

Hello everybody.
I have some problem.
On Cu board(thickness50mm)is Ni layer (1-3mm). Ni layer is applying on Cu board by electrochemical technology.
What I need is measure thickness of Ni layer.
I have USN 50 and some probes(MSEB4,MB2S,MB4S, and one 10MHZ probe). With this probe I dont have some reflection from the line between Cu and Ni materials.
Please for some advice.
Rastislav Milan
Sorry for my english

Niklas
Niklas
03:04 Jun-12-2003
Re: measure of thickness Ni
Hello Rastislav, I don´t know any tested method that you use. But maybe I can give you some useful advice that you can try out.

I suggest you use a focussed SE probe with a high frequency. If you do the testing from the Ni material, check that the boundary of the two materials not are in the dead zone of the probe. When you do the testing you is likely that you only can see the boundary very close to the average noise level. Therefore you must have a very high dB when you do the testing, I should guess at least 80-100 dB on the USN equipment.

If you still don´t can see the boundary, is it possible that the grains in the boundary zone is too simular to the grains in the base materials. With other words, you can not apply UT for the testing.

Best regards
Niklas

: Hello everybody.
: I have some problem.
: On Cu board(thickness50mm)is Ni layer (1-3mm). Ni layer is applying on Cu board by electrochemical technology.
: What I need is measure thickness of Ni layer.
: I have USN 50 andsome probes(MSEB4,MB2S,MB4S, and one 10MHZ probe). With this probe I dont have some reflection from the line between Cu and Ni materials.
: Please for some advice.
: Rastislav Milan
: Sorry for my english

Product Spotlight

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s