where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
measure of thickness Ni
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

NOVO DR
develops and manufactures cutting edge Portable Digital Radiography X-ray Inspection Systems.

04:29 Jun-12-2003

Rastislav Milan

NDT Inspector
U.S.Steel Kosice s.r.o,
Slovak Republic,
Joined Aug 2002
measure of thickness Ni

Hello everybody.
I have some problem.
On Cu board(thickness50mm)is Ni layer (1-3mm). Ni layer is applying on Cu board by electrochemical technology.
What I need is measure thickness of Ni layer.
I have USN 50 and some probes(MSEB4,MB2S,MB4S, and one 10MHZ probe). With this probe I dont have some reflection from the line between Cu and Ni materials.
Please for some advice.
Rastislav Milan
Sorry for my english

03:04 Jun-12-2003
Niklas
Re: measure of thickness Ni Hello Rastislav, I don´t know any tested method that you use. But maybe I can give you some useful advice that you can try out.

I suggest you use a focussed SE probe with a high frequency. If you do the testing from the Ni material, check that the boundary of the two materials not are in the dead zone of the probe. When you do the testing you is likely that you only can see the boundary very close to the average noise level. Therefore you must have a very high dB when you do the testing, I should guess at least 80-100 dB on the USN equipment.

If you still don´t can see the boundary, is it possible that the grains in the boundary zone is too simular to the grains in the base materials. With other words, you can not apply UT for the testing.

Best regards
Niklas

: Hello everybody.
: I have some problem.
: On Cu board(thickness50mm)is Ni layer (1-3mm). Ni layer is applying on Cu board by electrochemical technology.
: What I need is measure thickness of Ni layer.
: I have USN 50 andsome probes(MSEB4,MB2S,MB4S, and one 10MHZ probe). With this probe I dont have some reflection from the line between Cu and Ni materials.
: Please for some advice.
: Rastislav Milan
: Sorry for my english

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|