where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Dave Utrata
R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University, USA, Joined Feb 2000, 37

Dave Utrata

R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Feb 2000
08:07 Jun-20-2003
magnetic particle application

Hello all,

I'm doing some fine-scale magnetic particle work, looking for subtle discontinuities on small samples. The results with magnetic particle (dry and aerosol) application so far seem extremely sensistive to field gradients at the ends of the sample in our portable yoke (can't use a horizontal wet stand for this work). I wonder if I can overcome this problem by a clever choice of particle size, type and/or application method.

Has anyone had success using something like a fingerprint brush to apply particles? Are any dry particles known to be better for their adherence to indications than others, or is it all a matter of visual contrast in their usage?

Thanks for any help!

Sasaki
Sasaki
02:35 Jun-24-2003
Re: magnetic particle application
Hello, Dave Utrata

Please try liquid penetrant in lieu of Magnetic Particle.

Regards,

Lee
Lee
08:52 Jun-24-2003
Re: magnetic particle application
: Hello all,
: I'm doing some fine-scale magnetic particle work, looking for subtle discontinuities on small samples. The results with magnetic particle (dry and aerosol) application so far seem extremely sensistive to field gradients at the ends of the sample in our portable yoke (can't use a horizontal wet stand for this work). I wonder if I can overcome this problem by a clever choice of particle size, type and/or application method.
: Has anyone had success using something like a fingerprint brush to apply particles? Are any dry particles known to be better for their adherence to indications than others, or is it all a matter of visual contrast in their usage?
: Thanks for any help!

I would presume you when you say aerosal method, you have tried fluorescent wet mag method under black lighting? If not, this is a highly dependable way of finding very fine discontinuities.

Product Spotlight

EPOCH 6LT

The EPOCH 6LT flaw detector is optimized for one-handed operation in rope access and high-portab
ility applications. Lightweight with a grip-oriented weight distribution, the instrument fits securely in a user’s hand or can be strapped to their leg using the rope access accessory kit. The clear, bright screen makes A-scans readable in any light while the intuitive software enables fast navigation.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

NozzleScan: Radial nozzle scanner with probe skew

NozzleScan is a versatile manual scanning solution developed for the inspection of nozzle welds in
both set-through and set-on configurations. Available in both two-axis and three-axis instrument configurations and adaptable to cover a wide range of 90-degree nozzle sizes, from 3" upwards, on ferritic and austenitic materials.The transducer skew axis can also be adjusted, encoded and locked.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s