where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
magnetic particle application
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

08:07 Jun-20-2003

Dave Utrata

R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Feb 2000
magnetic particle application

Hello all,

I'm doing some fine-scale magnetic particle work, looking for subtle discontinuities on small samples. The results with magnetic particle (dry and aerosol) application so far seem extremely sensistive to field gradients at the ends of the sample in our portable yoke (can't use a horizontal wet stand for this work). I wonder if I can overcome this problem by a clever choice of particle size, type and/or application method.

Has anyone had success using something like a fingerprint brush to apply particles? Are any dry particles known to be better for their adherence to indications than others, or is it all a matter of visual contrast in their usage?

Thanks for any help!

02:35 Jun-24-2003
Sasaki
Re: magnetic particle application Hello, Dave Utrata

Please try liquid penetrant in lieu of Magnetic Particle.

Regards,

08:52 Jun-24-2003
Lee
Re: magnetic particle application : Hello all,
: I'm doing some fine-scale magnetic particle work, looking for subtle discontinuities on small samples. The results with magnetic particle (dry and aerosol) application so far seem extremely sensistive to field gradients at the ends of the sample in our portable yoke (can't use a horizontal wet stand for this work). I wonder if I can overcome this problem by a clever choice of particle size, type and/or application method.
: Has anyone had success using something like a fingerprint brush to apply particles? Are any dry particles known to be better for their adherence to indications than others, or is it all a matter of visual contrast in their usage?
: Thanks for any help!

I would presume you when you say aerosal method, you have tried fluorescent wet mag method under black lighting? If not, this is a highly dependable way of finding very fine discontinuities.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|