where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
corrosion simulation
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

YXLON International GmbH
X-ray and CT based NDT systems for a wide range of industrial applications.

01:15 Jul-07-2003

waqar habib

Student
Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Jul 2003
corrosion simulation

Hello:
I am researching to characterize the corrosion chracteristics in a steel rod using Magnetostriction technology. I need to simulate some corrosion defects in the new steel rod. I am wondering if anyone can suggest me of some suitable way of simulating the corrosion effects.
Thanks

08:18 Jul-08-2003

Dave Forsyth

R & D
TRI/Austin,
USA,
Joined Nov 2001
Re: corrosion simulation Steel is pretty easy to corrode, but it may be hard to stop once you've started. This makes for a problematic test piece. We work mostly in aluminum, so I don't know if that would be the case.

You can use EDM methods to simulate pitting if that is the issue. You can independently measure the pit depths by a number of means, confocal microscopy or radiography for example.

Intergranular or filiform damage can be much harder to simulate.

Dave

: Hello:
: I am researching to characterize the corrosion chracteristics in a steel rod using Magnetostriction technology. I need to simulate some corrosion defects in the new steel rod. I am wondering if anyone can suggest me of some suitable way of simulating the corrosion effects.
: Thanks

00:53 Jul-09-2003

Phil Herman Jr.

Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: corrosion simulation Following up on Dave's comments; he is correct in stating that Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) methods can be an excellent means of creating artificial corrosion. PH Tool Reference Standards has had success in this area on aluminum aircraft skin panels. Photos of corroded patches are viewable at phtool.com by clicking on the "corrosion sample" page. These patches were faithfully created using EDM electrodes cast in the actual corroded areas of interest. Once the electrode is made, reproducing the corrosion on test panels (or rods in this example) is possible. Specific variation in the depth of corrosion is also achievable. Contact me directly for more information on this service.

Phil

: Steel is pretty easy to corrode, but it may be hard to stop once you've started. This makes for a problematic test piece. We work mostly in aluminum, so I don't know if that would be the case.
: You can use EDM methods to simulate pitting if that is the issue. You can independently measure the pit depthsby a number of means, confocal microscopy or radiography for example.
: Intergranular or filiform damage can be much harder to simulate.
: Dave
: : Hello:
: : I am researching to characterize the corrosion chracteristics in a steel rod using Magnetostriction technology. I need to simulate some corrosion defects in the new steel rod. I am wondering if anyone can suggest me of some suitable way of simulating the corrosion effects.
: : Thanks
: .

08:45 Sep-18-2003
Ghanshyam Das
Re: corrosion simulation How to corelate corrosion rate with final weight of the sample.

00:09 Sep-22-2003
R J Chaudhari
Corrosion simulation Your question is too short. You may contact about corrosion rate directly at caltech@vsnl.net

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: How to corelate corrosion rate with final weight of the sample.
------------ End Original Message ------------

06:45 Feb-02-2005
Shaun Brimacombe
Re: corrosion simulation : Following up on Dave's comments; he is correct in stating that Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) methods can be an excellent means of creating artificial corrosion. PH Tool Reference Standards has had success in this area on aluminum aircraft skin panels. Photos of corroded patches are viewable at phtool.com by clicking on the "corrosion sample" page. These patches were faithfully created using EDM electrodes cast in the actual corroded areas of interest. Once the electrode is made, reproducing the corrosion on test panels (or rods in this example) is possible. Specific variation in the depth of corrosion is also achievable. Contact me directly for more information on this service.
: Phil
: : Steel is pretty easy to corrode, but it may be hard to stop once you've started. This makes for a problematic test piece. We work mostly in aluminum, so I don't know if that would be the case.
: : You can use EDM methods to simulate pitting if that is the issue. You can independently measure the pit depths by a number of means, confocal microscopy or radiography for example.
: : Intergranular or filiform damage can be much harder to simulate.
: : Dave
: : : Hello:
: : : I am researching to characterize the corrosion chracteristics in a steel rod using Magnetostriction technology. I need to simulate some corrosion defects in the new steel rod. I am wondering if anyone can suggest me of some suitable way of simulating the corrosion effects.
: : : Thanks
: : .

I am doing something similar to the above.
We are considering how EDM methods can be used to simulate corrosion on a steel shaft. From my understanding EDM is a feasible method to do this. The aim of our project is to prepare a shaft with different forms of corrosion (e.g. pitting) and then evaluating this with NDE techniques. Please could you give your opinions on the likelihood of this simulating (on a shaft) typical/authentic corrosion. I appreciate any input.

Regards
Shaun Brimacombe

03:11 Feb-04-2005

Joel Light

Consultant, Corrosion Prevention
Deepwater Corrosion Services Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jul 2002
Re: corrosion simulation We have just finished fabrication on 5 test pieces that willl be used to verify skills of Guided Ultrasonics technicians.
We contracted an EDM shop that is capable of simulating several types, shapes and sizes of corrosion defects.
We simply submitted photos of types that we wanted, gave them some dimensions and they made some fantastic replicas in steel pipe.
This type work has been done for several major pipeline companies for similar purposes and all have been quit satisfied.
It's not the cheapest way to go, but it is pretty impressive and well worth the cost for our purposes.
I would think the same could be achieved in steel rods.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Following up on Dave's comments; he is correct in stating that Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) methods can be an excellent means of creating artificial corrosion. PH Tool Reference Standards has had success in this area on aluminum aircraft skin panels. Photos of corroded patches are viewable at phtool.com by clicking on the "corrosion sample" page. These patches were faithfully created using EDM electrodes cast in the actual corroded areas of interest. Once the electrode is made, reproducing the corrosion on test panels (or rods in this example) is possible. Specific variation in the depth of corrosion is also achievable. Contact me directly for more information on this service.
: : Phil
: : : Steel is pretty easy to corrode, but it may be hard to stop once you've started. This makes for a problematic test piece. We work mostly in aluminum, so I don't know if that would be the case.
: : : You can use EDM methods to simulate pitting if that is the issue. You can independently measure the pit depths by a number of means, confocal microscopy or radiography for example.
: : : Intergranular or filiform damage can be much harder to simulate.
: : : Dave
: : : : Hello:
: : : : I am researching to characterize the corrosion chracteristics in a steel rod using Magnetostriction technology. I need to simulate some corrosion defects in the new steel rod. I am wondering if anyone can suggest me of some suitable way of simulating the corrosion effects.
: : : : Thanks
: : : .
: I am doing something similar to the above.
: We are considering how EDM methods can be used to simulate corrosion on a steel shaft. From my understanding EDM is a feasible method to do this. The aim of our project is to prepare a shaft with different forms of corrosion (e.g. pitting) and then evaluating this with NDE techniques. Please could you give your opinions on the likelihood of this simulating (on a shaft) typical/authentic corrosion. I appreciate any input.
: Regards
: Shaun Brimacombe
:
------------ End Original Message ------------

02:59 Feb-24-2005
syed m.nazeem
Re: corrosion simulation : Steel is pretty easy to corrode, but it may be hard to stop once you've started. This makes for a problematic test piece. We work mostly in aluminum, so I don't know if that would be the case.
: You can use EDM methods to simulate pitting if that is the issue. You can independently measure the pit depths by a number of means, confocal microscopy or radiography for example.
: Intergranular or filiform damage can be much harder to simulate.
: Dave
: : Hello:
: : I am researching to characterize the corrosion chracteristics in a steel rod using Magnetostriction technology. I need to simulate some corrosion defects in the new steel rod. I am wondering if anyone can suggest me of some suitable way of simulating the corrosion effects.
: : Thanks
send to nazeem

03:01 Feb-24-2005
syed m.nazeem
Re: corrosion simulation : Following up on Dave's comments; he is correct in stating that Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) methods can be an excellent means of creating artificial corrosion. PH Tool Reference Standards has had success in this area on aluminum aircraft skin panels. Photos of corroded patches are viewable at phtool.com by clicking on the "corrosion sample" page. These patches were faithfully created using EDM electrodes cast in the actual corroded areas of interest. Once the electrode is made, reproducing the corrosion on test panels (or rods in this example) is possible. Specific variation in the depth of corrosion is also achievable. Contact me directly for more information on this service.
: : Steel is pretty easy to corrode, but it may be hard to stop once you've started. This makes for a problematic test piece. We work mostly in aluminum, so I don't know if that would be the case.
: : You can use EDM methods to simulate pitting if that is the issue. You can independently measure the pit depths by a number of means, confocal microscopy or radiography for example.
: : : I am researching to characterize the corrosion chracteristics in a steel rod using Magnetostriction technology. I need to simulate some corrosion defects in the new steel rod. I am wondering if anyone can suggest me of some suitable way of simulating the corrosion effects.
.send to nazeem

03:03 Feb-24-2005
syed m.nazeem
.send to nazeem

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|