where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Overlay inspection
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Acoustic Emission Consulting, Inc.
Acoustic Emission Consulting, Inc. specializes in the design of small portable AE instruments for field and lab use.

06:55 Jul-31-2003
Jason Reinhart
Overlay inspection

I have a situation where a casting has been overlayed with a wear resistant WC coating. The overlay naturally has numerous check cracks in it which is not a problem, but the piece was subsequently bent (3 pt bend), which subsequently produced some horizontal cracks and spalling in some of the pieces. I tried running UT on some of the pieces that spalling was not readily noticible and I am having a hard time conclusively determining if there are horizontal cracks (do not know if I am picking up the check cracks (some what vertical) or the horizontal cracks).
So is UT the best method for inspecting for horizontal cracks or is there another inspection process that might be better.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|