where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT of TKY Connections
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:39 Aug-01-2003
IceClampers
UT of TKY Connections

Looking for info. on UT testing TKY connections on piping (tubular) and structural steel connections.

06:24 Aug-02-2003

Manuel Haces

Director, - Wire rope inspection
Haces Inspección del Noreste and Wire Rope Inspection,
Mexico,
Joined Jun 2002
Re: UT of TKY Connections ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Looking for info. on UT testing TKY connections on piping (tubular) and structural steel connections.
------------ End Original Message ------------

There is plenty of information in API RP 2A and also in AWS D1.1, if you need something more, send me an E Mail, we have many years working in that field. Regards. Manuel

06:25 Aug-02-2003

Richard D. Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: UT of TKY Connections You may want to acquire a copy of the API-RP-2X Code. This will provide you recommended inspection methods (including UT) for TKY type joint configurations. I believe you can purchase the code from the API web site.

Regards, Rich

06:36 Aug-02-2003

rajesh bose

Engineering, NDT Engineer
BP,
USA,
Joined Aug 2001
Re: UT of TKY Connections

Refer to API RP 2X for UT of TKY joints

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Looking for info. on UT testing TKY connections on piping (tubular) and structural steel connections.

07:48 Aug-12-2003
John Woollven
Re: UT of TKY Connections ----------- Start Original Message -----------

I see that you have been referred to API RP2X and D1.1, but don't forget that in Canada (I note your e-mail address) CSA W59 has an offshore supplement (W59 S1-M1989) which also describes UT of T K and Y joints.

00:00 Aug-13-2003
IceClampers
Re: UT of TKY Connections Well I was wondering more specifically about performing the actual inspections. I know that most techs have a centre punch mark punched at 100mm from the root but there is no mention of this in CSA offshore supplement. I would like some tips and pointers from techs if possible on inspecting these joints.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Looking for info. on UT testing TKY connections on piping (tubular) and structural steel connections.
: I see that you have been referred to API RP2X and D1.1, but don't forget that in Canada (I note your e-mail address) CSA W59 has an offshore supplement (W59 S1-M1989) which also describes UT of T K and Y joints.

10:24 Jul-07-2012

M santhosh Kumar

NDT Inspector,
Kalva Engineers private limited,
India,
Joined Jan 2012
Re: UT of TKY Connections In Reply to Manuel Haces at 06:24 Aug-02-2003 .

Thanks for your concern Sir, I would like to know in detail about API RP 2A and AWS D1.1, especially UT On TYK Connections.
Thanking you,
Santhosh

20:56 Jul-08-2012

Andrew Cunningham

NDT Inspector
Canada,
Joined Jun 2008
Re: UT of TKY Connections In Reply to IceClampers at 01:39 Aug-01-2003 (Opening).

So you need some practical tips and guide that are not found in the regular books. Welcome to the real world of ultrasonics. (There’s a book name in there somewhere)
There hardest to inspect is the Y pipe to pipe sat-on construction welded joint. This is due to its ever changing geometry and sensitivity.
Draw to scale 5 cross sections 0® 45® 90® 135® and 180® you can get away with 3 but 5 is better.
Sensitivity is more complex,
1st set the sensitivity dB as per code.
2nd place the transducer on the pipe longitudinally,
3rd increase the gain so that you have some reflection from the ID. This is known as the” ID roll” it is a guide to position and sensitivity,
4th Orbit the joint keeping transducer squire to the weld. The ID roll will drop or vanish as the transducers contact surface changes. Increase the gain to bring back the ID roll. The ID roll will change its position as the geometry changes. But it is a constant 100% of the pipes thickness, The ID roll shall never be allowed to move to above 30% across the time base, if it does, adjust your test range. I say 30% because you may need to work over full skip.
5TH scanning around the weld, the angles of the probe will change. Using the ID roll as 100% TWT and multiple’s thereof, you can position the reflector by %.
6TH refer to all reflectors to the original dB + transfer as per code.

07:25 Jul-09-2012

Jon Wallis

NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands,
Joined Feb 2010
Re: UT of TKY Connections In Reply to Andrew Cunningham at 20:56 Jul-08-2012 .

In addition to what Andrew says, it helps when you make your drawing to use a 'mimic'. This is comb-like device with lots of needles in a row and it will give you an accurate pattern of the weld profile at a particular position.
You cannot even start the examination if you don't know the weld geometry - this is particularly so for TKY joints, if possible, go and check the weld fit-ups prior to welding.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|