where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ASME Standard for spot Radiography
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:06 Aug-14-2003

Zaheer

NDT Inspector, and as trainer
NDT Centre Pakistan,
Pakistan,
Joined Aug 2003
ASME Standard for spot Radiography

Dear Sir,
Last week we were discussing in a training course, the acceptance criteria of radiographic testing given in ASME 2001, section VIII Division 1 UW-52 for spot radiography.
Our interpretation of Para UW-52 (c) (2) and (3) page-153 is as under:
- Any indication (other than mentioned in (1)) are always acceptable in any job thickness.
- Any one and only one indication in 6t of weld length having size upto 2/3t is acceptable, for example, if t=60 mm the allowable size (diameter or other maximum dimension) of defect is 40mm.
- Now the third case is that if more than one indications within acceptable limits exist in line (we are also confused about the word "in line" as we under stand it mean that any indication touching a common straight line and the indication itself may have a maximum dimension at and oblique angle to the weld axis or may be at right angle to the weld axis), in 6t of weld length, then sum of all these indication shall not be more than t.
- But if more than one indications appear in line and the space between these indications is not greater than 3L, where L is the length of the longest indication, then length of all the indications will be summed and the sum should not be greater than 19 mm. We are also confused with "L". Kindly clarify it. Is it like the L given in FIG. 4-2 on page 355 of ASME 2001, Section VIII division 1?
- Also if any one indication having space more than 3L, but having greatest dimension more than 19 mm shall be unacceptable.
- Some of us think that if there is a indication of diameter 40 mm in a 60 mm thick job is acceptable as per Para (c) (3) of UW-52.
It will be very kind of you if all the above mentioned confusions could be cleared by examples and figures.
With regards.
Zaheer Ahmad.

02:26 Jan-21-2004
prashant lode
Re: ASME Standard for spot Radiography ----------- Start Original Message -----------
:
: Dear Sir,
: Last week we were discussing in a training course, the acceptance criteria of radiographic testing given in ASME 2001, section VIII Division 1 UW-52 for spot radiography.
: Our interpretation of Para UW-52 (c) (2) and (3) page-153 is as under:
: - Any indication (other than mentioned in (1)) are always acceptable in any job thickness.
: - Any one and only one indication in 6t of weld length having size upto 2/3t is acceptable, for example, if t=60 mm the allowable size (diameter or other maximum dimension) of defect is 40mm.
: - Now the third case is that if more than one indications within acceptable limits exist in line (we are also confused about the word "in line" as we under stand it mean that any indication touching a common straight line and the indication itself may have a maximum dimension at and oblique angle to the weld axis or may be at right angle to the weld axis), in 6t of weld length, then sum of all these indication shall not be more than t.
: - But if more than one indications appear in line and the space between these indications is not greater than 3L, where L is the length of the longest indication, then length of all the indications will be summed and the sum should not be greater than 19 mm. We are also confused with "L". Kindly clarify it. Is it like the L given in FIG. 4-2 on page 355 of ASME 2001, Section VIII division 1?
: - Also if any one indication having space more than 3L, but having greatest dimension more than 19 mm shall be unacceptable.
: - Some of us think that if there is a indication of diameter 40 mm in a 60 mm thick job is acceptable as per Para (c) (3) of UW-52.
: It will be very kind of you if all the above mentioned confusions could be cleared by examples and figures.
: With regards.
: Zaheer Ahmad.
:
------------ End Original Message ------------

dear sir,
our Klenzaids group of companies involved in the manufacturing of pressure vessel. so i need asme standard. so plz send this on my e-mail

08:19 Jan-22-2004
Sasaki
Re: ASME Standard for spot Radiography I think your interpretation is correct.

I have not ASME-2001 by my side now, but as far as I remenber that UW52 specifies only "rounded" indication as acceptable discontinuity in non-critical joint.

As for "L", the aligned or cued indications apart each other more than "3L" can be considered as single, independent and separate, discontinuity.

Remenber that there is a definition of "rounded" indication in ASME, and "t" is not plate thickness but "weld thickness".
See the "INTERPRETATION" of the UW52 that clarifies more in detail, if any.

Interpreting the nature of "rounded" indication governs the acceptance judgement; e.g. the indication of 40 mm dia. of rounded indication will be unacceptable if it is judged incomplete fusion.

Now, I hope all is clear.

Regards,

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|