where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT testing on a 30 year old aluminum boat
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

08:08 Aug-16-2003
Alex Camerino
NDT testing on a 30 year old aluminum boat

I am considering buying a 30 year old 29 ft aluminum boat. This boat was used in the Gulf of Mexico to service oil rigs. The boat costs about 40,000 USD.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what inspections I should have done to ensure that the hull/structure is solid? Would the costs of these inspections be reasonable given the cost of the boat?
Thanks!

05:43 Aug-18-2003

Mike Trinidad

Consultant, API 510 570 & 653
Marine Inspection Service Pty Ltd (MIS),
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: NDT testing on a 30 year old aluminum boat G'Day Alex

Normally when we do a hull survey it is generally spot readings using ultrasonics to measure the plate thicknesses.

If you can find a one man band in the area it should be reasonably cheap.

UT spot readings is the minimum. I personally would be asking for a continuous scan looking for any thinning in in accessible areas such as bilges fuel tanks etc.

I used to love these jobs. 10 years ago, normally the owner always wanted to give you beers whilst scanning to keep the thirst at bay.

Regards

Mike Trinidad

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am considering buying a 30 year old 29 ft aluminum boat. This boat was used in the Gulf of Mexico to service oil rigs. The boat costs about 40,000 USD.
: Does anyone have any suggestions as to what inspections I should have done to ensure that the hull/structure is solid? Would the costs of these inspections be reasonable given the cost of the boat?
: Thanks!
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|