where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Mike Leger
Mike Leger
07:40 Aug-22-2003
Bolt Stress Measurement

I am interested in using one of the new portable digital UT instruments such as the Panametrics Epoch 4 to perform bolt elongation measurements in order to verify proper bolt stretch instead of one of the bolting specific measurement instruments. The new digital instruments have very accurate clocks and gating systems that should be adequate for this purpose.
I have the ability to mock up the intended application and perform accurate physical measurements to empirically qualify the technique. I understand the need for consistency in transducer mounting and that there is a change in velocity as load increases. The studs are grade 630, 1.625” diameter and 16” long. My questions are:

· Is there any major fault in this reasoning?
· Where can I find more data on the change in velocity vs. load (acoustoelasticity) for steels?

Thanks,
Mike Leger

Jacek Szelazek
Jacek Szelazek
02:58 Aug-26-2003
Re: Bolt Stress Measurement
Hello Mike,

I think your idea is fine and it should work.
If you can recognize "back face" echo, what, depending on bolt shape and bolt faces configutation, can be difficult, you can monitore time of flight changes versus load.
Time changes will be due to elastoacoustic effect and bolt elongation.
To calculate stress or load value you should know how stress is distributed along the bolt. The wave propagating between faces will average stress and elongation along all 16".

Assuming that 8" of the bolt are stresses, you can expect time of flight changes about 4 ns/MPa of tensile load (according to my rough calculations).

One more practical problem in ultrasonic stress measurement is the influence of temperature on ultrasonic pulse velocity. All readings should be taken in the same temperature.

Jacek

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am interested in using one of the new portable digital UT instruments such as the Panametrics Epoch 4 to perform bolt elongation measurements in order to verify proper bolt stretch instead of one of the bolting specific measurement instruments. The new digital instruments have very accurate clocks and gating systems that should be adequate for this purpose.
: I have the ability to mock up the intended application and perform accurate physical measurements to empirically qualify the technique. I understand the need for consistency in transducer mounting and that there is a change in velocity as load increases. The studs are grade 630, 1.625” diameter and 16” long. My questions are:
: · Is there any major fault in this reasoning?
: · Where can I find more data on the change in velocity vs. load (acoustoelasticity) for steels?
: Thanks,
: Mike Leger
------------ End Original Message ------------

seyyed mohammad atifeh
seyyed mohammad atifeh
02:52 Dec-29-2005
Re: Bolt Stress Measurement
I am student of mechanical engineering in polytechnic ( tehran iran) in MSc level.iam interested and it is my thesis to evaluate bolt stress measuring with ultrasonic waves and know the effect of some parameter on precision of this method , for example : temp, stress level, bolt size , bolt geometry , transducer, ultrasonic method , bolt material , and ... .
if you can help me, i like to have relation with you by email and you answer my questions during doing this project.
firstly if it is possible , give me some information about:
1:acoustoelastic
2:how acoustoelastic constants can be determined.
3: specially bolt stress measurement
4: set up for bolt stress measurement.
5: & how can i start the project.
: Thanks
best regards
seyyed mohammad atifeh

Product Spotlight

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

ISONIC 3510

Very Powerful Superior Performance Extremely Portable Smart Phased Array Ultrasonic Flaw Detector an
d Recorder with 2 Conventional UT and TOFD Channels uniquely combines PA, single- and multi-channel conventional UT, and TOFD modalities providing 100% raw data recording and imaging. Suitable for all kinds of every-day ultrasonic inspections
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window