where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Conductivity Measurement Of Thin Aluminum
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:01 Aug-25-2003
Bob Wilson
Conductivity Measurement Of Thin Aluminum

I'm a little confused by the requirement of MIL-STD-1537 with regards to "thin" aluminum, particularly clad less than .091...

As I read the spec, if my specimens are below minimum but greater than .6 times min, I have to stack. I'm then supposed to determine a thickness correction factor by averaging stacked and unstacked readings. Now (and here is where I'm confused), if the correction factor is less than 2.5, I can test individule specimens without stacking using my correction factor on the acceptance range. If the CF is greater than 2.5 but less than 5 I have to stack parts, and I don't use the correction factor. If the CF is greater than 5, I can't stack parts and I can't use a CF so I have to increase frequency and start the game again...
The "examples" in the spec are not very helpful. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|