where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Remote field eddy current testing
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:59 Sep-02-2003

Ravi.C

NDT Inspector
Regional Engineering collage,
India,
Joined Sep 2003
Remote field eddy current testing

How to prepare probe for testing SA192 boiler tubes( 4.5 mm thick)? I have used 800 and 400 turns for exciter and receiver respectively with 3 times of the tube dia as a distance between the coils. But I am not able to get expected signal. Please tell me your suggestion on the same.

02:19 Sep-09-2003

Thirunavukkarasu

R & D
Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research,
India,
Joined Sep 2003
Re: Remote field eddy current testing ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: How to prepare probe for testing SA192 boiler tubes( 4.5 mm thick)? I have used 800 and 400 turns for exciter and receiver respectively with 3 times of the tube dia as a distance between the coils. But I am not able to get expected signal. Please tell me your suggestion on the same.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Dear Mr. Ravi,

The receiver coil must be kept at remote field zone, Which you can find experimentally by moving the receiver coil. The distance need not be three times the ID of the tube. It may be more or less. Moreover you detection sensitivity largely depends on the instrumentation. Since the flux linkage in the receiver coil is very small the induced voltage will be of the order of micro/nano volts. It would be better if you use lock-in amplifier for the measurement of such voltages.

regards,
arasu

04:48 Sep-12-2003

Dana Ives

Engineering
CoreStar International Corp.,
USA,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: Remote field eddy current testing ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : How to prepare probe for testing SA192 boiler tubes( 4.5 mm thick)? I have used 800 and 400 turns for exciter and receiver respectively with 3 times of the tube dia as a distance between the coils. But I am not able to get expected signal. Please tell me your suggestion on the same.
: Dear Mr. Ravi,
: The receiver coil must be kept at remote field zone, Which you can find experimentally by moving the receiver coil. The distance need not be three times the ID of the tube. It may be more or less. Moreover you detection sensitivity largely depends on the instrumentation. Since the flux linkage in the receiver coil is very small the induced voltage will be of the order of micro/nano volts. It would be better if you use lock-in amplifier for the measurement of such voltages.
:
: regards,
: arasu

Mrrs. Ravi and Arasu,
There is a direct correlation between induced voltage and the wire properties as well as the number of turns. A lock-in amp may help amplify the signal from the receiver(s), but I would think it would also amplify the inherent wire noise. Thus your S/N ratio may be inferior.

02:21 Oct-01-2003

Ravi C

NDT Inspector
Regional Engineering collage,
India,
Joined Sep 2003
Re: Remote field eddy current testing Dear Dana Ives
I used 800 turns in exciter mode and 400 turns in receiver mode. I need a details on selection of number of turns and technology behind it. Suggest me some article related on preparation RFECT probe.

02:59 Feb-28-2004
Nanotechnology Products
Nanotechnology Products nanotechnology nanotechnology nanotechnology nanotechnology productsHave you been looking at nanotechnology lately? The investments and products are really picking up. Major investments too! Checkout NanoXchange or nanoxchange.com - For Nanotech Products like materials and electronics on the nanoscale - Nanotechnology and MEMS also Nanotech Companies Its a great resource for lots of products from different nanotech companies like zyvex and Altair and catagories like nanomaterials and nanoelectronics the list goes on and on you should check it out.

04:43 Mar-24-2004
Theo van Embden
Re: Nanotechnology Products ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: nanotechnology nanotechnology nanotechnology nanotechnology productsHave you been looking at nanotechnology lately? The investments and products are really picking up. Major investments too! Checkout NanoXchange or nanoxchange.com - For Nanotech Products like materials and electronics on the nanoscale - Nanotechnology and MEMS also Nanotech Companies Its a great resource for lots of products from different nanotech companies like zyvex and Altair and catagories like nanomaterials and nanoelectronics the list goes on and on you should check it out.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|