where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Michael Trinidad
Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd , Australia, Joined Jan 2003, 138

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
09:49 Sep-07-2003
TOFD versus Phased Array

Interested on comments regarding TOFD versus Phased Array? I have asked a few manufacturers which system gives the best results on duplex stainless steels and never get any detailed responses.

1. I have heard Phased Array is better on Duplex stainless steels.

2. I have heard TOFD is no good on Duplex stainless steels

3. I have heard TOFD can be used on Duplex stainless steels (no mention of if it works or not, depends on who s selling it).

Curious to hear from hands on people of what works and what doesnt.

Kind Regards

Mike Trinidad

Steven Johnson
Consultant
USA, Joined Mar 2004, 16

Steven Johnson

Consultant
USA,
Joined Mar 2004
01:14 Sep-08-2003
Re: TOFD versus Phased Array
TOFD has problems in Stainless steel welds due to the large grain structure. Phased array works good on Stainless, but has been having problems with the dissimular material welds.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1266

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
07:21 Sep-08-2003
Michael:
I find it interesting that people are telling you that you should even be COMPARING TOFD to Phased Array.

As for the concerns of Duplex stainless I would think that the difficulties experienced are based on the relatively coarse grain structure, and solutions are being sought for ultrasonic applications that attempt to provide a reduction of the grain boundary scattering of ANY beam, no matter its origin. TOFD is merely a forward scatter technique and USUALLY (but not always) uses compression mode wave. The longer wavelength in a compression mode is less scattered for the same frequency using shear mode. Similar efforts have been made using backscatter techniques using the compression mode. But all angled compression beams induced in a material, using refraction from the probe, will also suffer from the mode conversion effects when used under the first critical angle.

But back to the first point, i.e. that being TOFD versus Phased Array. I do not see this as a "comparison"!! TOFD is a forward scatter application of a wavefront, i.e. it is a UT technique. But Phased array is simply a convenient method of forming a wavefront, i.e. it is a hardware apparatus. There is no real difference between a 5MHz compression planewave generated by a single element probe and that produced by a phased array probe of similar dimensions (the basic concept of Huygens' point construction of a wavefront).

Advantages of phased array over single element probes may be discussed but it would not be correct to compare TOFD to phased array, in fact, I have used phased array probes in TOFD configurations. In fact, many of the basic concepts we learn in Level 1 UT courses, such as Near Zone lengths, Beam Diameter calculations, beam diveregence, etc. can all be used with the beam analyses on phased array generated pulses.

Ed

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Interested on comments regarding TOFD versus Phased Array? I have asked a few manufacturers which system gives the best results on duplex stainless steels and never get any detailed responses.
: 1. I have heard Phased Array is better on Duplex stainless steels.
: 2. I have heard TOFD is no good on Duplex stainless steels
: 3. I have heard TOFD can be used on Duplex stainless steels (no mention of if it works or not, depends on who s selling it).
: Curious to hear from hands on people of what works and what doesnt.
: Kind Regards
: Mike Trinidad
------------ End Original Message ------------

Jamie Gauthier
Jamie Gauthier
09:18 Sep-08-2003
I definitely have to agree with Ed Ginzels comment on this. You cannot compare TOFD with Phased Array! Now to get back to TOFD on stainless materials it is a matter of trying it out on a test piece. Depending on the grain structure, some materials can be tested with the TOFD technique. A sample piece made out of the same material can be used to determine if you have good enough sensitivity to detect welding defects. Of course you still need to use shearwave to inspect the root and cap of the weld. It may not work with some stainless steel alloys. Having a wide variety of transducers to test with also helps.

Mike Trinidad
Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd , Australia, Joined Jan 2003, 138

Mike Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
08:34 Oct-04-2003
Ed and Jamie

Thanks for the interesting comments which are much food for thought.

Actually good to get some straight answers.

Regards

Mike Trinidad
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I definitely have to agree with Ed Ginzels comment on this. You cannot compare TOFD with Phased Array! Now to get back to TOFD on stainless materials it is a matter of trying it out on a test piece. Depending on the grain structure, some materials can be tested with the TOFD technique. A sample piece made out of the same material can be used to determine if you have good enough sensitivity to detect welding defects. Of course you still need to use shearwave to inspect the root and cap of the weld. It may not work with some stainless steel alloys. Having a wide variety of transducers to test with also helps.
------------ End Original Message ------------

mojtaba
mojtaba
07:29 Dec-19-2004
hi

Product Spotlight

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window