where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Josip Vuk
Josip Vuk
01:52 Sep-08-2003
Aircraft weld incpection

I am a student at Faculty of Engineering and Naval Arhitecture in Zagreb. I am doing my final thesis and am looking for a Maintenance Manual or Component Repair and Overhaul Manual for any part of any type of any Boeing or Airbus aircraft, which defines inspection of welds (either steel or aluminum).
My intention is to simulate such a part in faculty`s labaratory (for I am unable to acquire a real-life part or documentation)and to perform prescribed radiografic (or ultrasonic) testing.
Materials can be on-line.

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 519

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
06:50 Sep-08-2003
Re: Aircraft weld incpection
in my experience there are very few critical welded joints in Aircraft structures. Mostly just used in ancilliary assemblies, In particular in Ducting (e.g thin wall stainless or alloy tubes) and in landing gear.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am a student at Faculty of Engineering and Naval Arhitecture in Zagreb. I am doing my final thesis and am looking for a Maintenance Manual or Component Repair and Overhaul Manual for any part of any type of any Boeing or Airbus aircraft, which defines inspection of welds (either steel or aluminum).
: My intention is to simulate such a part in faculty`s labaratory (for I am unable to acquire a real-life part or documentation)and to perform prescribed radiografic (or ultrasonic) testing.
: Materials can be on-line.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Gary
Consultant
TWI, United Kingdom, Joined May 2001, 15

Gary

Consultant
TWI,
United Kingdom,
Joined May 2001
02:31 Sep-11-2003
From my experience I have seen some fairly bad accidents through failures of welds in ductings, particularly with secondary damge to wiring looms etc.

Landing gear also has its uses on occassion.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: in my experience there are very few critical welded joints in Aircraft structures. Mostly just used in ancilliary assemblies, In particular in Ducting (e.g thin wall stainless or alloy tubes) and in landing gear.
: : I am a student at Faculty of Engineering and Naval Arhitecture in Zagreb. I am doing my final thesis and am looking for a Maintenance Manual or Component Repair and Overhaul Manual for any part of any type of any Boeing or Airbus aircraft, which defines inspection of welds (either steel or aluminum).
: : My intention is to simulate such a part in faculty`s labaratory (for I am unable to acquire a real-life part or documentation)and to perform prescribed radiografic (or ultrasonic) testing.
: : Materials can be on-line.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Carlos Valdecantos
Engineering
MTORRES, Ing., Spain, Joined May 2001, 9

Carlos Valdecantos

Engineering
MTORRES, Ing.,
Spain,
Joined May 2001
01:07 Sep-12-2003
AIRBUS is currently using welded stringers as an alternative to massive machinning of thick plates. Welding is carried out by high power laser.

Our company is the supplier of the automatic machines for this process. Please, refer to MTORRES web site.

Regards,

C. Valdecantos

Product Spotlight

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window