where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Aircraft weld incpection
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:52 Sep-08-2003
Josip Vuk
Aircraft weld incpection

I am a student at Faculty of Engineering and Naval Arhitecture in Zagreb. I am doing my final thesis and am looking for a Maintenance Manual or Component Repair and Overhaul Manual for any part of any type of any Boeing or Airbus aircraft, which defines inspection of welds (either steel or aluminum).
My intention is to simulate such a part in faculty`s labaratory (for I am unable to acquire a real-life part or documentation)and to perform prescribed radiografic (or ultrasonic) testing.
Materials can be on-line.

06:50 Sep-08-2003

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Aircraft weld incpection in my experience there are very few critical welded joints in Aircraft structures. Mostly just used in ancilliary assemblies, In particular in Ducting (e.g thin wall stainless or alloy tubes) and in landing gear.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am a student at Faculty of Engineering and Naval Arhitecture in Zagreb. I am doing my final thesis and am looking for a Maintenance Manual or Component Repair and Overhaul Manual for any part of any type of any Boeing or Airbus aircraft, which defines inspection of welds (either steel or aluminum).
: My intention is to simulate such a part in faculty`s labaratory (for I am unable to acquire a real-life part or documentation)and to perform prescribed radiografic (or ultrasonic) testing.
: Materials can be on-line.
------------ End Original Message ------------

02:31 Sep-11-2003

Gary

Consultant
TWI,
United Kingdom,
Joined May 2001
Re: Aircraft weld incpection From my experience I have seen some fairly bad accidents through failures of welds in ductings, particularly with secondary damge to wiring looms etc.

Landing gear also has its uses on occassion.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: in my experience there are very few critical welded joints in Aircraft structures. Mostly just used in ancilliary assemblies, In particular in Ducting (e.g thin wall stainless or alloy tubes) and in landing gear.
: : I am a student at Faculty of Engineering and Naval Arhitecture in Zagreb. I am doing my final thesis and am looking for a Maintenance Manual or Component Repair and Overhaul Manual for any part of any type of any Boeing or Airbus aircraft, which defines inspection of welds (either steel or aluminum).
: : My intention is to simulate such a part in faculty`s labaratory (for I am unable to acquire a real-life part or documentation)and to perform prescribed radiografic (or ultrasonic) testing.
: : Materials can be on-line.
------------ End Original Message ------------

01:07 Sep-12-2003

Carlos Valdecantos

Engineering
MTORRES, Ing.,
Spain,
Joined May 2001
Re: Aircraft weld incpection AIRBUS is currently using welded stringers as an alternative to massive machinning of thick plates. Welding is carried out by high power laser.

Our company is the supplier of the automatic machines for this process. Please, refer to MTORRES web site.

Regards,

C. Valdecantos

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|