where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
P. Bushart
P. Bushart
00:44 Sep-22-2003
NDT casting

I have been reviewing the available methods to inspect for porosity in castings. Our situation is low pressure fluid mixing and we have had our cast housings seep fluid out. The housings are cast staniless steel and then machined. Would die penetrant testing be enough to ensure no leakage?

Daniel H. Rice
Consultant, Ultrasonic Evaluation of Resistance Spot Welding
Daniel H. Rice Consulting Services, USA, Joined Jan 2003, 10

Daniel H. Rice

Consultant, Ultrasonic Evaluation of Resistance Spot Welding
Daniel H. Rice Consulting Services,
USA,
Joined Jan 2003
03:47 Sep-24-2003
Re: NDT casting
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have been reviewing the available methods to inspect for porosity in castings. Our situation is low pressure fluid mixing and we have had our cast housings seep fluid out. The housings are cast staniless steel and then machined. Would die penetrant testing be enough to ensure no leakage?
------------ End Original Message ------------
Use this procedure except change to Florcent dye, and take your soak time to for the dye to 30 min at 80*F to 55*F, Water washable dye will work as good.

Having made pressure vessels "valve bodies" in a foundy I know your delemia.
Dye Penetrant will not completely identify all the leakers!
make a low pressure HYDRO test at 4 times the operational pressure as described in Section 3 of the ASME boiler and pressure vessel code.
Add A significant amount of Florscent dye to Highlight the leakers, These leakers are caused from the shrinkage cavities, sand, and other discontinuities. Use a black light to see the leakers, you will be suprised.

A comon Floresent, drop light for the garage and a black light bulb will work. Although intensity of the black light will be low.

Solution I had to use,...Check what impregenation would cost and if the application is for this manufacturing situation is revealant.

bill kiesel
NDT Inspector, level III L.P.I., X-RAY & U.T.
Smiths Tubular Systems-Laconia, USA, Joined Aug 2002, 4

bill kiesel

NDT Inspector, level III L.P.I., X-RAY & U.T.
Smiths Tubular Systems-Laconia,
USA,
Joined Aug 2002
08:12 Sep-25-2003
Re: NDT casting
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have been reviewing the available methods to inspect for porosity in castings. Our situation is low pressure fluid mixing and we have had our cast housings seep fluid out. The housings are cast staniless steel and then machined. Would die penetrant testing be enough to ensure no leakage?
------------ End Original Message ------------

yes, dye penetrant would be the cheapest and one of the most effective ndt
>methods to find this type of defect. portable equipment is readily
>available.

Product Spotlight

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window