where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Iris Inspection Services, Inc.
We are the world's largest supplier of air cooler, boiler and exchanger tubing inspection services.
Technical Discussions
P. Bushart
P. Bushart
00:44 Sep-22-2003
NDT casting

I have been reviewing the available methods to inspect for porosity in castings. Our situation is low pressure fluid mixing and we have had our cast housings seep fluid out. The housings are cast staniless steel and then machined. Would die penetrant testing be enough to ensure no leakage?

Daniel H. Rice
Consultant, Ultrasonic Evaluation of Resistance Spot Welding
Daniel H. Rice Consulting Services, USA, Joined Jan 2003, 10

Daniel H. Rice

Consultant, Ultrasonic Evaluation of Resistance Spot Welding
Daniel H. Rice Consulting Services,
USA,
Joined Jan 2003
03:47 Sep-24-2003
Re: NDT casting
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have been reviewing the available methods to inspect for porosity in castings. Our situation is low pressure fluid mixing and we have had our cast housings seep fluid out. The housings are cast staniless steel and then machined. Would die penetrant testing be enough to ensure no leakage?
------------ End Original Message ------------
Use this procedure except change to Florcent dye, and take your soak time to for the dye to 30 min at 80*F to 55*F, Water washable dye will work as good.

Having made pressure vessels "valve bodies" in a foundy I know your delemia.
Dye Penetrant will not completely identify all the leakers!
make a low pressure HYDRO test at 4 times the operational pressure as described in Section 3 of the ASME boiler and pressure vessel code.
Add A significant amount of Florscent dye to Highlight the leakers, These leakers are caused from the shrinkage cavities, sand, and other discontinuities. Use a black light to see the leakers, you will be suprised.

A comon Floresent, drop light for the garage and a black light bulb will work. Although intensity of the black light will be low.

Solution I had to use,...Check what impregenation would cost and if the application is for this manufacturing situation is revealant.

bill kiesel
NDT Inspector, level III L.P.I., X-RAY & U.T.
Smiths Tubular Systems-Laconia, USA, Joined Aug 2002, 4

bill kiesel

NDT Inspector, level III L.P.I., X-RAY & U.T.
Smiths Tubular Systems-Laconia,
USA,
Joined Aug 2002
08:12 Sep-25-2003
Re: NDT casting
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have been reviewing the available methods to inspect for porosity in castings. Our situation is low pressure fluid mixing and we have had our cast housings seep fluid out. The housings are cast staniless steel and then machined. Would die penetrant testing be enough to ensure no leakage?
------------ End Original Message ------------

yes, dye penetrant would be the cheapest and one of the most effective ndt
>methods to find this type of defect. portable equipment is readily
>available.

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window