where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Modsonic Instruments Mfg Co Pvt Ltd
We are leading Indian manufacturer and exporter of portable “Ultrasonic Testing Equipment”
Technical Discussions
P. Bushart
P. Bushart
00:44 Sep-22-2003
NDT casting

I have been reviewing the available methods to inspect for porosity in castings. Our situation is low pressure fluid mixing and we have had our cast housings seep fluid out. The housings are cast staniless steel and then machined. Would die penetrant testing be enough to ensure no leakage?

Daniel H. Rice
Consultant, Ultrasonic Evaluation of Resistance Spot Welding
Daniel H. Rice Consulting Services, USA, Joined Jan 2003, 10

Daniel H. Rice

Consultant, Ultrasonic Evaluation of Resistance Spot Welding
Daniel H. Rice Consulting Services,
USA,
Joined Jan 2003
03:47 Sep-24-2003
Re: NDT casting
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have been reviewing the available methods to inspect for porosity in castings. Our situation is low pressure fluid mixing and we have had our cast housings seep fluid out. The housings are cast staniless steel and then machined. Would die penetrant testing be enough to ensure no leakage?
------------ End Original Message ------------
Use this procedure except change to Florcent dye, and take your soak time to for the dye to 30 min at 80*F to 55*F, Water washable dye will work as good.

Having made pressure vessels "valve bodies" in a foundy I know your delemia.
Dye Penetrant will not completely identify all the leakers!
make a low pressure HYDRO test at 4 times the operational pressure as described in Section 3 of the ASME boiler and pressure vessel code.
Add A significant amount of Florscent dye to Highlight the leakers, These leakers are caused from the shrinkage cavities, sand, and other discontinuities. Use a black light to see the leakers, you will be suprised.

A comon Floresent, drop light for the garage and a black light bulb will work. Although intensity of the black light will be low.

Solution I had to use,...Check what impregenation would cost and if the application is for this manufacturing situation is revealant.

bill kiesel
NDT Inspector, level III L.P.I., X-RAY & U.T.
Smiths Tubular Systems-Laconia, USA, Joined Aug 2002, 4

bill kiesel

NDT Inspector, level III L.P.I., X-RAY & U.T.
Smiths Tubular Systems-Laconia,
USA,
Joined Aug 2002
08:12 Sep-25-2003
Re: NDT casting
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have been reviewing the available methods to inspect for porosity in castings. Our situation is low pressure fluid mixing and we have had our cast housings seep fluid out. The housings are cast staniless steel and then machined. Would die penetrant testing be enough to ensure no leakage?
------------ End Original Message ------------

yes, dye penetrant would be the cheapest and one of the most effective ndt
>methods to find this type of defect. portable equipment is readily
>available.

Product Spotlight

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window