where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT casting
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:44 Sep-22-2003
P. Bushart
NDT casting

I have been reviewing the available methods to inspect for porosity in castings. Our situation is low pressure fluid mixing and we have had our cast housings seep fluid out. The housings are cast staniless steel and then machined. Would die penetrant testing be enough to ensure no leakage?

03:47 Sep-24-2003

Daniel H. Rice

Consultant, Ultrasonic Evaluation of Resistance Spot Welding
Daniel H. Rice Consulting Services,
USA,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: NDT casting ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have been reviewing the available methods to inspect for porosity in castings. Our situation is low pressure fluid mixing and we have had our cast housings seep fluid out. The housings are cast staniless steel and then machined. Would die penetrant testing be enough to ensure no leakage?
------------ End Original Message ------------
Use this procedure except change to Florcent dye, and take your soak time to for the dye to 30 min at 80*F to 55*F, Water washable dye will work as good.

Having made pressure vessels "valve bodies" in a foundy I know your delemia.
Dye Penetrant will not completely identify all the leakers!
make a low pressure HYDRO test at 4 times the operational pressure as described in Section 3 of the ASME boiler and pressure vessel code.
Add A significant amount of Florscent dye to Highlight the leakers, These leakers are caused from the shrinkage cavities, sand, and other discontinuities. Use a black light to see the leakers, you will be suprised.

A comon Floresent, drop light for the garage and a black light bulb will work. Although intensity of the black light will be low.

Solution I had to use,...Check what impregenation would cost and if the application is for this manufacturing situation is revealant.

08:12 Sep-25-2003

bill kiesel

NDT Inspector, level III L.P.I., X-RAY & U.T.
Smiths Tubular Systems-Laconia,
USA,
Joined Aug 2002
Re: NDT casting ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have been reviewing the available methods to inspect for porosity in castings. Our situation is low pressure fluid mixing and we have had our cast housings seep fluid out. The housings are cast staniless steel and then machined. Would die penetrant testing be enough to ensure no leakage?
------------ End Original Message ------------

yes, dye penetrant would be the cheapest and one of the most effective ndt
>methods to find this type of defect. portable equipment is readily
>available.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|