where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
In-situ Chemical Composition and Physical Properties
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:38 Jan-30-1999
Dilip Maniar
In-situ Chemical Composition and Physical Properties

Sir/Madam,

This posting is regarding nondestructive testing techniques available for in-situ material evaluation. I will briefly describe the problem we are facing. It will be of great use to us if you can suggest some direction to look for.

I am a graduate student at The University of Texas at Austin. I am working on a research project related to historic metal bridges. The bridge that I am working on as a case study was constructed in 1885. We don't have any details about the metal used in the construction of that bridge. We are looking at some of the nondestructive testing techniques to evaluate the mechanical properties and the chemical composition of the metal used. Generally we take out a piece of metal from a bridge and carry out destructive tests in the laboratory to know everything about it. In my case study, the structural analysis shows that all the bridge members are optimized and we can not take out any piece of metal from the bridge for material evaluation. Our main objective is to know chemical composition, mechanical properties and elastic properties of the metal used.

We will highly appreciate your help in to the matter.

Dilip Maniar

Graduate Research Assistant
UT Austin Structural Engineering
FSEL: 512-471-5783
Home: 512-478-9275
maniard@mail.utexas.edu

05:17 Jan-30-1999
Wieslaw Bicz
Re: In-situ Chemical Composition and Physical Properties : Sir/Madam,

: This posting is regarding nondestructive testing techniques available for in-situ material evaluation. I will briefly describe the problem we are facing. It will be of great use to us if you can suggest some direction to look for.

: I am a graduate student at The University of Texas at Austin. I am working on a research project related to historic metal bridges. The bridge that I am working on as a case study was constructed in 1885. We don't have any details about the metal used in the construction of that bridge. We are looking at some of the nondestructive testing techniques to evaluate the mechanical properties and the chemical composition of the metal used. Generally we take out a piece of metal from a bridge and carry out destructive tests in the laboratory to know everything about it. In my case study, the structural analysis shows that all the bridge members are optimized and we can not take out any piece of metal from the bridge for material evaluation. Our main objective is to know chemical composition, mechanical properties and elastic properties of the metal used.

: We will highly appreciate your help in to the matter.

: Dilip Maniar

: Graduate Research Assistant
: UT Austin Structural Engineering
: FSEL: 512-471-5783
: Home: 512-478-9275
: maniard@mail.utexas.edu

It is possible to test almost all mechanical properties with ultrasonic waves (Lame constants, Young module, Poisson constant, density and more) with ultrasound.
I can imagine, it could be possible to do it on your bridge, but you need some preparations and tools.
We are making such measuremenst, but only with a pieces of material, not on the bridge, but I dont think, it is a real problem.

Wieslaw Bicz
Optel sp. z o.o.

08:34 Feb-01-1999
Kåre johansson
Re: In-situ Chemical Composition and Physical Properties :There are mobile spectroscopes which may be used for the chemical analysis. Considering the age of your bridges you will probably need a arc or spark system rather than one based on XRF. The ability to analyse for carbon is important.

I don't know what equipment is available in Texas, but I have used more or less mobile equipment from Baird and Spectro and know some of these are able to analyse for carbon. As both supplies lab equipment you could check with your spectroscope technicians
regarding any local offices.
Good luck.

00:52 Jul-19-2001
NDT
Re: In-situ Chemical Composition and Physical Properties

: :There are mobile spectroscopes which may be used for the chemical analysis. Considering the age of your bridges you will probably need an arc or spark system rather than one based on XRF. The ability to analyse for carbon is important.

: Actually one of the best vendors in NDT with an XRF & OES Systemsis available in Texas, Thermo MeasureTech (formerly TN Technologies. Their OES systems are the Arc Pro & Spark Pro (spark requires the use of argon, but is the most accurate) They can be reached at 800-736-0801, ask for Margo Myers. I have used more or less mobile equipment from Baird and Spectro and know some of these are able to analyse for carbon, but it is my understanding that Thermo MeasureTech has the superior technology at a competetive price. Since they supply lab equipment you could check with your spectroscope technicians
: regarding any local offices.
: Good luck.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|