where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Volume Graphics GmbH
Leading industrial companies around the world look for defects in their products using Volume Graphics software.

Technical Discussions
Dilip Maniar
Dilip Maniar
03:38 Jan-30-1999
In-situ Chemical Composition and Physical Properties

Sir/Madam,

This posting is regarding nondestructive testing techniques available for in-situ material evaluation. I will briefly describe the problem we are facing. It will be of great use to us if you can suggest some direction to look for.

I am a graduate student at The University of Texas at Austin. I am working on a research project related to historic metal bridges. The bridge that I am working on as a case study was constructed in 1885. We don't have any details about the metal used in the construction of that bridge. We are looking at some of the nondestructive testing techniques to evaluate the mechanical properties and the chemical composition of the metal used. Generally we take out a piece of metal from a bridge and carry out destructive tests in the laboratory to know everything about it. In my case study, the structural analysis shows that all the bridge members are optimized and we can not take out any piece of metal from the bridge for material evaluation. Our main objective is to know chemical composition, mechanical properties and elastic properties of the metal used.

We will highly appreciate your help in to the matter.

Dilip Maniar

Graduate Research Assistant
UT Austin Structural Engineering
FSEL: 512-471-5783
Home: 512-478-9275
maniard@mail.utexas.edu

Wieslaw Bicz
Wieslaw Bicz
05:17 Jan-30-1999
Re: In-situ Chemical Composition and Physical Properties
: Sir/Madam,

: This posting is regarding nondestructive testing techniques available for in-situ material evaluation. I will briefly describe the problem we are facing. It will be of great use to us if you can suggest some direction to look for.

: I am a graduate student at The University of Texas at Austin. I am working on a research project related to historic metal bridges. The bridge that I am working on as a case study was constructed in 1885. We don't have any details about the metal used in the construction of that bridge. We are looking at some of the nondestructive testing techniques to evaluate the mechanical properties and the chemical composition of the metal used. Generally we take out a piece of metal from a bridge and carry out destructive tests in the laboratory to know everything about it. In my case study, the structural analysis shows that all the bridge members are optimized and we can not take out any piece of metal from the bridge for material evaluation. Our main objective is to know chemical composition, mechanical properties and elastic properties of the metal used.

: We will highly appreciate your help in to the matter.

: Dilip Maniar

: Graduate Research Assistant
: UT Austin Structural Engineering
: FSEL: 512-471-5783
: Home: 512-478-9275
: maniard@mail.utexas.edu

It is possible to test almost all mechanical properties with ultrasonic waves (Lame constants, Young module, Poisson constant, density and more) with ultrasound.
I can imagine, it could be possible to do it on your bridge, but you need some preparations and tools.
We are making such measuremenst, but only with a pieces of material, not on the bridge, but I dont think, it is a real problem.

Wieslaw Bicz
Optel sp. z o.o.

Kåre johansson
Kåre johansson
08:34 Feb-01-1999
:There are mobile spectroscopes which may be used for the chemical analysis. Considering the age of your bridges you will probably need a arc or spark system rather than one based on XRF. The ability to analyse for carbon is important.

I don't know what equipment is available in Texas, but I have used more or less mobile equipment from Baird and Spectro and know some of these are able to analyse for carbon. As both supplies lab equipment you could check with your spectroscope technicians
regarding any local offices.
Good luck.

NDT
NDT
00:52 Jul-19-2001

: :There are mobile spectroscopes which may be used for the chemical analysis. Considering the age of your bridges you will probably need an arc or spark system rather than one based on XRF. The ability to analyse for carbon is important.

: Actually one of the best vendors in NDT with an XRF & OES Systemsis available in Texas, Thermo MeasureTech (formerly TN Technologies. Their OES systems are the Arc Pro & Spark Pro (spark requires the use of argon, but is the most accurate) They can be reached at 800-736-0801, ask for Margo Myers. I have used more or less mobile equipment from Baird and Spectro and know some of these are able to analyse for carbon, but it is my understanding that Thermo MeasureTech has the superior technology at a competetive price. Since they supply lab equipment you could check with your spectroscope technicians
: regarding any local offices.
: Good luck.

Product Spotlight

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window