where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Selenium-75 Gamma Radiography Sources
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:29 Oct-18-2003
Zeki Cosku Gokce
Selenium-75 Gamma Radiography Sources

Does anyone have any experience with Selenium-75 Gamma Radiography Sources,
inspecting pipelines and pipework?

08:48 Nov-11-2003

Dent McIntyre

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Selenium-75 Gamma Radiography Sources Yes. I have used SE 75 for RT of ASME Code work.

What is your specific question?

04:04 Nov-18-2003
Zeki Cosku Gokce
Re: Selenium-75 Gamma Radiography Sources My question will be how it is different then IR 192 as far as the film and exposure times are concerned.
I have read some articles and they talk about special type of film and also talk about longer exposure times. Is that the case?
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Yes. I have used SE 75 for RT of ASME Code work.
: What is your specific question?
------------ End Original Message ------------

08:21 Feb-17-2005
Jason D. Shepard
Re: Selenium-75 Gamma Radiography Sources ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Yes. I have used SE 75 for RT of ASME Code work.
: What is your specific question?
How does Selenium compare to Ir-192 as far as strength and penetarting power? Can it be used for concrete RT like Irirdium? We use Iridium for up to 10 inches of concrete, can we do the same with Selenium? If so, what would our shot times be like?
Thank you

01:25 Oct-05-2005
WiJay Heinemann
Re: Selenium-75 Gamma Radiography Sources ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Yes. I have used SE 75 for RT of ASME Code work.
: : What is your specific question?
: How does Selenium compare to Ir-192 as far as strength and penetarting power? Can it be used for concrete RT like Irirdium? We use Iridium for up to 10 inches of concrete, can we do the same with Selenium? If so, what would our shot times be like?
: Thank you

NO!!!

01:33 Oct-05-2005
WiJay Heinemann
: My question will be how it is different then IR 192 as far as the film and exposure times are concerned.
: I have read some articles and they talk about special type of film and also talk about longer exposure times. Is that the case?
: : Yes. I have used SE 75 for RT of ASME Code work.
: : What is your specific question?

I have used Se75 every day for the last 2 years, the shot times are "roughtly" 3 times longer per specific currie strength when compared to Ir192. That is the only down side I see. The images are comparabule to X-Ray, the 2mr boundry for an unshielded Se75 100ci source is 331.70' vs. 543.10 for Ir192. This makes it easy to work around or with other people near your area of work. The other down side to this is the Kv range. It is nearly imposibul to shoot any large bor pipe, or heavy wall (sc. 160 and up). Se75 is a great companion to the Ir192 on a job where a veriety of pipe sizes and wall thickness exist.

04:36 Nov-02-2012
Chuck Davis
Re: Selenium-75 Gamma Radiography Sources In Reply to Dent McIntyre at 08:48 Nov-11-2003 .

Does anyone know how much a Selenium camera complete with all accesories costs in North America (Canada or US)? Also sources for 70 curies.

I am the owner of an NDT company in Mexico and am having extreme difficulty getting quotes on anything anywhere here. If anybody up north knows dealers of selenium cameras and sources who could forward me the info it would be much appreciated.

04:37 Nov-02-2012
Chuck Davis
Re: Selenium-75 Gamma Radiography Sources In Reply to Dent McIntyre at 08:48 Nov-11-2003 .

Does anyone know how much a Selenium camera complete with all accesories costs in North America (Canada or US)? Also sources for 70 curies.

I am the owner of an NDT company in Mexico and am having extreme difficulty getting quotes on anything anywhere here. If anybody up north knows dealers of selenium cameras and sources who could forward me the info it would be much appreciated.

04:37 Nov-02-2012
Chuck Davis

05:39 Nov-02-2012

collin maloney

NDT Inspector, - Plant Inspector
Applus RTD,
Australia,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: Selenium-75 Gamma Radiography Sources In Reply to Chuck Davis at 04:37 Nov-02-2012 .

Chuck
no special camera required unless your planning on "scar" type radiography. Your usual source supplier should be able to get a price. We get ours from South Africa

07:36 Nov-02-2012
Jignesh
Re: Selenium-75 Gamma Radiography Sources In Reply to WiJay Heinemann at 01:33 Oct-05-2005 .

The Rontgen Per Hour Per Meter (RHM) of Se-75 = 0.203, Ir -192 = 0.48 & Co-60 = 1.33, hence Ce-75 is soft radioactive material and required high penetration power & exposure time.

I wish to have any comparision sheet for Ce-75 & Xray, if some body have.

23:13 Nov-05-2012

Csaba Hollo

, Senior Technician
Acuren Group Inc.,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2010
Re: Selenium-75 Gamma Radiography Sources In Reply to Chuck Davis at 04:37 Nov-02-2012 .

Google 'QSA Global'

They have everything you need and are able to export to Mexico.

The prices they quote me may be different from the prices they quote you, so I will refrain from doing so.

12:35 Nov-08-2012

Alessio Restolfer

NDT Inspector,
D.e M.I. srl,
Italy,
Joined Aug 2011
Re: Selenium-75 Gamma Radiography Sources In Reply to Zeki Cosku Gokce at 04:04 Nov-18-2003 .

For exposure time equal to 'Ir182 enough to calculate the 30% increase in thickness examination and 15% more on time .. in our company we use very often SE75 and we are very comfortable with this method.

Best Regards Alessio.

06:59 Dec-16-2012
vimalkumar
Re: Selenium-75 Gamma Radiography Sources In Reply to Zeki Cosku Gokce at 07:29 Oct-18-2003 (Opening).

yes I have used in abhu dhabi uae

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|