where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
kip mankenberg
Consultant
USA, Joined Nov 2003, 9

kip mankenberg

Consultant
USA,
Joined Nov 2003
03:28 Nov-22-2003
UT of heavy 316L stainless piping

Hello everyone,
I've just found out that on my current project we will be fabricating and installing some very heavy stainless piping (316L). Sizes are up to 30"OD x 3" wall thickness (900mmOD x 75mm t). The fabricator has yet to propose welding procedures, but I would imagine they will want to use GTAW/SAW for bench welds that can be rolled, and GTAW/FCAW for field welds. The fabrication code is B31.3.
It has been a very long time since I've done any stainless UT, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on probe selection and techniques. Please note that AUT is not an option. This work will have to be done with manual UT.
Thanks in advance,
Mankenberg

William Blum
Consultant, Training, Level III Services
NDT Consulting Group Inc., USA, Joined Nov 2000, 89

William Blum

Consultant, Training, Level III Services
NDT Consulting Group Inc.,
USA,
Joined Nov 2000
01:14 Nov-22-2003
Re: UT of heavy 316L stainless piping
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello everyone,
: I've just found out that on my current project we will be fabricating and installing some very heavy stainless piping (316L). Sizes are up to 30"OD x 3" wall thickness (900mmOD x 75mm t). The fabricator has yet to propose welding procedures, but I would imagine they will want to use GTAW/SAW for bench welds that can be rolled, and GTAW/FCAW for field welds. The fabrication code is B31.3.
: It has been a very long time since I've done any stainless UT, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on probe selection and techniques. Please note that AUT is not an option. This work will have to be done with manual UT.
: Thanks in advance,
: Mankenberg
------------ End Original Message ------------

The nuclear industry has developed techniques for examining austenitic piping welds that include high angle longitudinal wave transducers in addition to low frequency shear wave ducers. Contact me for more information at wblum@ndt-cgi.com.

Johan van Alphen
Johan van Alphen
02:15 Dec-20-2003
Hello,

You can contact RTD.
We have a probemanufacturing department with years of experience in building probes for stainles steel ultrasonic testing.
They can advise you.
You can contact mr Engel at m.p.l.engel@rtd.nl

Best regards

Johan van Alphen
: : Hello everyone,
: : I've just found out that on my current project we will be fabricating and installing some very heavy stainless piping (316L). Sizes are up to 30"OD x 3" wall thickness (900mmOD x 75mm t). The fabricator has yet to propose welding procedures, but I would imagine they will want to use GTAW/SAW for bench welds that can be rolled, and GTAW/FCAW for field welds. The fabrication code is B31.3.
: : It has been a very long time since I've done any stainless UT, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on probe selection and techniques. Please note that AUT is not an option. This work will have to be done with manual UT.
: : Thanks in advance,
: : Mankenberg
:The nuclear industry has developed techniques for examining austenitic piping welds that include high angle longitudinal wave transducers in addition to low frequency shear wave ducers. Contact me for more information at wblum@ndt-cgi.com.

Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
03:32 Dec-22-2003
UT of coarse grain stainless materials or high nickel alloys is relatively easy using 45, 60, 70 and OD creeping waves. A depth calibration is performed using Side Drilled Holes.

The calibration block is very important. The holes should be drillled into the weld material. Thgis allows you to provide you have penetraion into the weld material is of a cast struture.

A 10 % ID notch should be installed in the HAZ area one one side of the weld.

Observation of the CE-1 and CE-2 signals has to be considered. These are the mode converted signals of direct and indirect shearwaves which can be confusing.

Some questions and thoughts to consider.

What is the grain size?

A high voltage pulser may be needed.

Use of 1 MHZ or 2 MHZ transdcuers may be needed.

I conduct Advanced UT Training classes on this technology.

Have you considered focued probes?

Also, you might check out the Advanced UT Flaw Sizing Handbook I wrote at ndt.net. This may explain some of the signals and calibrations.

Have a Merry Christmas.

J. Mark Davis

: Hello,
: You can contact RTD.
: We have a probemanufacturing department with years of experience in building probes for stainles steel ultrasonic testing.
: They can advise you.
: You can contact mr Engel at m.p.l.engel@rtd.nl
: Best regards
: Johan van Alphen
: : : Hello everyone,
: : : I've just found out that on my current project we will be fabricating and installing some very heavy stainless piping (316L). Sizes are up to 30"OD x 3" wall thickness (900mmOD x 75mm t). The fabricator has yet to propose welding procedures, but I would imagine they will want to use GTAW/SAW for bench welds that can be rolled, and GTAW/FCAW for field welds. The fabrication code is B31.3.
: : : It has been a very long time since I've done any stainless UT, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on probe selection and techniques. Please note that AUT is not an option. This work will have to be done with manualUT.
: : : Thanks in advance,
: : : Mankenberg
: : The nuclear industry has developed techniques for examining austenitic piping welds that include high angle longitudinal wave transducers in addition to low frequency shear wave ducers. Contact me for more information at wblum@ndt-cgi.com.

J. Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
08:31 Dec-22-2003
Sorry, I left off that the 45, 60 and 70 degree transducers were refracted Longitudinal waves and OD Creeping Waves.

: UT of coarse grain stainless materials or high nickel alloys is relatively easy using 45, 60, 70 and OD creeping waves. A depth calibration is performed using Side Drilled Holes.
: The calibration block is very important. The holes should be drillled into the weld material. Thgis allows you to provide you have penetraion into the weld material is of a cast struture.
: A 10 % ID notch should be installed in the HAZ area one one side of the weld.
: Observation of the CE-1 and CE-2 signals has to be considered. These are the mode converted signals of direct and indirect shearwaves which can be confusing.
: Some questions and thoughts to consider.
: What is the grain size?
: A high voltage pulser may be needed.
: Use of 1 MHZ or 2 MHZ transdcuers may be needed.
: I conduct Advanced UT Training classes on this technology.
: Have you considered focued probes?
: Also, you might check out the Advanced UT Flaw Sizing Handbook I wrote at ndt.net. This may explain some of the signals and calibrations.
: Have a Merry Christmas.
: J. Mark Davis
: : Hello,
: : You can contact RTD.
: : We have a probemanufacturing department with years of experience in building probes for stainles steel ultrasonic testing.
: : They can advise you.
: : You can contact mr Engel at m.p.l.engel@rtd.nl
: : Best regards
: : Johan van Alphen
: : : : Hello everyone,
: : : : I've just found out that on my current project we will be fabricating and installing some very heavy stainless piping (316L). Sizes are up to 30"OD x 3" wall thickness (900mmOD x 75mm t). The fabricator has yet to propose welding procedures, but I would imagine they will want to use GTAW/SAW for bench welds that can be rolled, and GTAW/FCAW for field welds. The fabrication code is B31.3.
: : : : It has been a very long time since I've done any stainless UT, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on probe selection and techniques. Please note that AUT is not an option. This work will have to be done with manual UT.
: : : : Thanks in advance,
: : : : Mankenberg
: : : The nuclear industry has developed techniques for examining austenitic piping welds that include high angle longitudinal wave transducers in addition to low frequency shear wave ducers. Contact me for more information at wblum@ndt-cgi.com.

Massimo Carminati
Massimo Carminati
09:45 Dec-27-2003
In addition to the very useful comments I would consider to adopt the following probes:

1)Creeping wave probes focus@20mm 2MHz
2)70° Long focus@25mm 2MHz
3)60° Long focus@50mm 2MHz
4)45° Long focus@75mm 2MHz

Few years ago we had Krautkramer to develop and manufacture such probes using the piezocomposite
technology with signal to noise improve factor in the range of 2 to 4 depending on the grain size; The larger the grain, the higher the benefits.

Please contact me for additional warnings which are not to be published.
: UT of coarse grain stainless materials or high nickel alloys is relatively easy using 45, 60, 70 and OD creeping waves. A depth calibration is performed using Side Drilled Holes.
: The calibration block is very important. The holes should be drillled into the weld material. Thgis allows you to provide you have penetraion into the weld material is of a cast struture.
: A 10 % ID notch should be installed in the HAZarea one one side of the weld.
: Observation of the CE-1 and CE-2 signals has to be considered. These are the mode converted signals of direct and indirect shearwaves which can be confusing.
: Some questions and thoughts to consider.
: What is the grain size?
: A high voltage pulser may be needed.
: Use of 1 MHZ or 2 MHZ transdcuers may be needed.
: I conduct Advanced UT Training classes on this technology.
: Have you considered focued probes?
: Also, you might check out the Advanced UT Flaw Sizing Handbook I wrote at ndt.net. This may explain some of the signals and calibrations.
: Have a Merry Christmas.
: J. Mark Davis
: : Hello,
: : You can contact RTD.
: : We have a probemanufacturing department with years of experience in building probes for stainles steel ultrasonic testing.
: : They can advise you.
: : You can contact mr Engel at m.p.l.engel@rtd.nl
: : Best regards
: : Johan van Alphen
: : : : Hello everyone,
: : : : I've just found out that on my current project we will be fabricating and installing some very heavy stainless piping (316L). Sizes are up to 30"OD x 3" wall thickness (900mmOD x 75mm t). The fabricator has yet to propose welding procedures, but I would imagine they will want to use GTAW/SAW for bench welds that can be rolled, and GTAW/FCAW for field welds. The fabrication code is B31.3.
: : : : It has been a very long time since I've done any stainless UT, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on probe selection and techniques. Please note that AUT is not an option. This work will have to be done with manual UT.
: : : : Thanks in advance,
: : : : Mankenberg
: : : The nuclear industry has developed techniques for examining austenitic piping welds that include high angle longitudinal wave transducers in addition to low frequency shear wave ducers. Contact me for more information at wblum@ndt-cgi.com.

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window