where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT of heavy 316L stainless piping
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:28 Nov-22-2003

kip mankenberg

Consultant
USA,
Joined Nov 2003
UT of heavy 316L stainless piping

Hello everyone,
I've just found out that on my current project we will be fabricating and installing some very heavy stainless piping (316L). Sizes are up to 30"OD x 3" wall thickness (900mmOD x 75mm t). The fabricator has yet to propose welding procedures, but I would imagine they will want to use GTAW/SAW for bench welds that can be rolled, and GTAW/FCAW for field welds. The fabrication code is B31.3.
It has been a very long time since I've done any stainless UT, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on probe selection and techniques. Please note that AUT is not an option. This work will have to be done with manual UT.
Thanks in advance,
Mankenberg

01:14 Nov-22-2003

William Blum

Consultant, Training, Level III Services
NDT Consulting Group Inc.,
USA,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: UT of heavy 316L stainless piping ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello everyone,
: I've just found out that on my current project we will be fabricating and installing some very heavy stainless piping (316L). Sizes are up to 30"OD x 3" wall thickness (900mmOD x 75mm t). The fabricator has yet to propose welding procedures, but I would imagine they will want to use GTAW/SAW for bench welds that can be rolled, and GTAW/FCAW for field welds. The fabrication code is B31.3.
: It has been a very long time since I've done any stainless UT, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on probe selection and techniques. Please note that AUT is not an option. This work will have to be done with manual UT.
: Thanks in advance,
: Mankenberg
------------ End Original Message ------------

The nuclear industry has developed techniques for examining austenitic piping welds that include high angle longitudinal wave transducers in addition to low frequency shear wave ducers. Contact me for more information at wblum@ndt-cgi.com.

02:15 Dec-20-2003
Johan van Alphen
Re: UT of heavy 316L stainless piping Hello,

You can contact RTD.
We have a probemanufacturing department with years of experience in building probes for stainles steel ultrasonic testing.
They can advise you.
You can contact mr Engel at m.p.l.engel@rtd.nl

Best regards

Johan van Alphen
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hello everyone,
: : I've just found out that on my current project we will be fabricating and installing some very heavy stainless piping (316L). Sizes are up to 30"OD x 3" wall thickness (900mmOD x 75mm t). The fabricator has yet to propose welding procedures, but I would imagine they will want to use GTAW/SAW for bench welds that can be rolled, and GTAW/FCAW for field welds. The fabrication code is B31.3.
: : It has been a very long time since I've done any stainless UT, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on probe selection and techniques. Please note that AUT is not an option. This work will have to be done with manual UT.
: : Thanks in advance,
: : Mankenberg
:The nuclear industry has developed techniques for examining austenitic piping welds that include high angle longitudinal wave transducers in addition to low frequency shear wave ducers. Contact me for more information at wblum@ndt-cgi.com.

03:32 Dec-22-2003

Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
Re: UT of heavy 316L stainless piping UT of coarse grain stainless materials or high nickel alloys is relatively easy using 45, 60, 70 and OD creeping waves. A depth calibration is performed using Side Drilled Holes.

The calibration block is very important. The holes should be drillled into the weld material. Thgis allows you to provide you have penetraion into the weld material is of a cast struture.

A 10 % ID notch should be installed in the HAZ area one one side of the weld.

Observation of the CE-1 and CE-2 signals has to be considered. These are the mode converted signals of direct and indirect shearwaves which can be confusing.

Some questions and thoughts to consider.

What is the grain size?

A high voltage pulser may be needed.

Use of 1 MHZ or 2 MHZ transdcuers may be needed.

I conduct Advanced UT Training classes on this technology.

Have you considered focued probes?

Also, you might check out the Advanced UT Flaw Sizing Handbook I wrote at ndt.net. This may explain some of the signals and calibrations.

Have a Merry Christmas.

J. Mark Davis

: Hello,
: You can contact RTD.
: We have a probemanufacturing department with years of experience in building probes for stainles steel ultrasonic testing.
: They can advise you.
: You can contact mr Engel at m.p.l.engel@rtd.nl
: Best regards
: Johan van Alphen
: : : Hello everyone,
: : : I've just found out that on my current project we will be fabricating and installing some very heavy stainless piping (316L). Sizes are up to 30"OD x 3" wall thickness (900mmOD x 75mm t). The fabricator has yet to propose welding procedures, but I would imagine they will want to use GTAW/SAW for bench welds that can be rolled, and GTAW/FCAW for field welds. The fabrication code is B31.3.
: : : It has been a very long time since I've done any stainless UT, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on probe selection and techniques. Please note that AUT is not an option. This work will have to be done with manualUT.
: : : Thanks in advance,
: : : Mankenberg
: : The nuclear industry has developed techniques for examining austenitic piping welds that include high angle longitudinal wave transducers in addition to low frequency shear wave ducers. Contact me for more information at wblum@ndt-cgi.com.

08:31 Dec-22-2003

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
Re: UT of heavy 316L stainless piping Sorry, I left off that the 45, 60 and 70 degree transducers were refracted Longitudinal waves and OD Creeping Waves.

: UT of coarse grain stainless materials or high nickel alloys is relatively easy using 45, 60, 70 and OD creeping waves. A depth calibration is performed using Side Drilled Holes.
: The calibration block is very important. The holes should be drillled into the weld material. Thgis allows you to provide you have penetraion into the weld material is of a cast struture.
: A 10 % ID notch should be installed in the HAZ area one one side of the weld.
: Observation of the CE-1 and CE-2 signals has to be considered. These are the mode converted signals of direct and indirect shearwaves which can be confusing.
: Some questions and thoughts to consider.
: What is the grain size?
: A high voltage pulser may be needed.
: Use of 1 MHZ or 2 MHZ transdcuers may be needed.
: I conduct Advanced UT Training classes on this technology.
: Have you considered focued probes?
: Also, you might check out the Advanced UT Flaw Sizing Handbook I wrote at ndt.net. This may explain some of the signals and calibrations.
: Have a Merry Christmas.
: J. Mark Davis
: : Hello,
: : You can contact RTD.
: : We have a probemanufacturing department with years of experience in building probes for stainles steel ultrasonic testing.
: : They can advise you.
: : You can contact mr Engel at m.p.l.engel@rtd.nl
: : Best regards
: : Johan van Alphen
: : : : Hello everyone,
: : : : I've just found out that on my current project we will be fabricating and installing some very heavy stainless piping (316L). Sizes are up to 30"OD x 3" wall thickness (900mmOD x 75mm t). The fabricator has yet to propose welding procedures, but I would imagine they will want to use GTAW/SAW for bench welds that can be rolled, and GTAW/FCAW for field welds. The fabrication code is B31.3.
: : : : It has been a very long time since I've done any stainless UT, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on probe selection and techniques. Please note that AUT is not an option. This work will have to be done with manual UT.
: : : : Thanks in advance,
: : : : Mankenberg
: : : The nuclear industry has developed techniques for examining austenitic piping welds that include high angle longitudinal wave transducers in addition to low frequency shear wave ducers. Contact me for more information at wblum@ndt-cgi.com.

09:45 Dec-27-2003
Massimo Carminati
Re: UT of heavy 316L stainless piping In addition to the very useful comments I would consider to adopt the following probes:

1)Creeping wave probes focus@20mm 2MHz
2)70° Long focus@25mm 2MHz
3)60° Long focus@50mm 2MHz
4)45° Long focus@75mm 2MHz

Few years ago we had Krautkramer to develop and manufacture such probes using the piezocomposite
technology with signal to noise improve factor in the range of 2 to 4 depending on the grain size; The larger the grain, the higher the benefits.

Please contact me for additional warnings which are not to be published.
: UT of coarse grain stainless materials or high nickel alloys is relatively easy using 45, 60, 70 and OD creeping waves. A depth calibration is performed using Side Drilled Holes.
: The calibration block is very important. The holes should be drillled into the weld material. Thgis allows you to provide you have penetraion into the weld material is of a cast struture.
: A 10 % ID notch should be installed in the HAZarea one one side of the weld.
: Observation of the CE-1 and CE-2 signals has to be considered. These are the mode converted signals of direct and indirect shearwaves which can be confusing.
: Some questions and thoughts to consider.
: What is the grain size?
: A high voltage pulser may be needed.
: Use of 1 MHZ or 2 MHZ transdcuers may be needed.
: I conduct Advanced UT Training classes on this technology.
: Have you considered focued probes?
: Also, you might check out the Advanced UT Flaw Sizing Handbook I wrote at ndt.net. This may explain some of the signals and calibrations.
: Have a Merry Christmas.
: J. Mark Davis
: : Hello,
: : You can contact RTD.
: : We have a probemanufacturing department with years of experience in building probes for stainles steel ultrasonic testing.
: : They can advise you.
: : You can contact mr Engel at m.p.l.engel@rtd.nl
: : Best regards
: : Johan van Alphen
: : : : Hello everyone,
: : : : I've just found out that on my current project we will be fabricating and installing some very heavy stainless piping (316L). Sizes are up to 30"OD x 3" wall thickness (900mmOD x 75mm t). The fabricator has yet to propose welding procedures, but I would imagine they will want to use GTAW/SAW for bench welds that can be rolled, and GTAW/FCAW for field welds. The fabrication code is B31.3.
: : : : It has been a very long time since I've done any stainless UT, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on probe selection and techniques. Please note that AUT is not an option. This work will have to be done with manual UT.
: : : : Thanks in advance,
: : : : Mankenberg
: : : The nuclear industry has developed techniques for examining austenitic piping welds that include high angle longitudinal wave transducers in addition to low frequency shear wave ducers. Contact me for more information at wblum@ndt-cgi.com.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|