where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Acoustic Absorption Coefficients
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

04:55 Feb-10-1999
Hector Guzman
Acoustic Absorption Coefficients

Hi. Does anyone know of a good book on 'properties of material' that also contains information such as the acoustic absorption coeffiecinet for those materials. Specifically I would like to attain the absorption coefficients for polystyrene, polypropylene, and polyethylene.

-hector

01:14 Feb-10-1999
Wies³aw Bicz
Re: Acoustic Absorption Coefficients : Hi. Does anyone know of a good book on 'properties of material' that also contains information such as the acoustic absorption coeffiecinet for those materials. Specifically I would like to attain the absorption coefficients for polystyrene, polypropylene, and polyethylene.

: -hector

You can find this information in many books, but it wont help you very much. There are many kinds of plastics on the market, having
different properties. Absorbtion is also very frequency dependent. It is much better to measure it. If you don´t need very high accuracy it is not difficult.
If you need a high accuracy we can help you - we are working on a device doing all such measurements with high accuracy.

W. Bicz

05:13 Feb-10-1999

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Acoustic Absorption Coefficients

06:49 Feb-10-1999
Grant Gordon
Re: Acoustic Absorption Coefficients Greetings Hector,
I have recently measured the frequency dependent attenuation values for polycarbonate, acrylic,
linear low density polyethylene, PVC, and a polybutadiene over the frequency range of 1.5 - 9 MHz.
These results are part of a paper to be published in the SPIE Conference proceedings
on Ultrasonic Transducer Engineering to be held in San Diego CA, 20-26 February, 1999. If you are
interested I will send you a hard copy via mail - the electronic file is quite large.
Sincerley
Grant Gordon

02:16 Feb-10-1999

Robert A. Day

Engineering
Milky Way Jewels,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Acoustic Absorption Coefficients : Hi. Does anyone know of a good book on 'properties of material' that also contains information such as the acoustic absorption coeffiecinet for those materials. Specifically I would like to attain the absorption coefficients for polystyrene, polypropylene, and polyethylene.

: -hector

I would also recommend Alan Selfridge's paper on measuring ultrasonic properties. His procedure is one of the best procedures for quick reasonably accurate measurements.

I would also warn you that polymers often have different acoustic properties depending on the conditions of manufacture. This includes thicknes as well as temperature and the actual chemistry used. It is essential to keep this in mind when making samples to measure. Thin layers are frequently different than the bulk.

06:13 Apr-01-2000
gina
Re: Acoustic Absorption Coefficients : Hi. Does anyone know of a site that will give me a list of materials and their absorption coefficients?

gina

01:42 May-08-2000
yuksel guney
Re: Acoustic Absorption Coefficients of polyvinyldenefloride : : Hi. Does anyone know of a good book on 'properties of material' that also contains information such as the acoustic absorption coeffiecinet for those materials. Specifically I would like to attain the absorption coefficients for polystyrene, polypropylene, and polyethylene.

: : -hector

: You can find this information in many books, but it wont help you very much. There are many kinds of plastics on the market, having
: different properties. Absorbtion is also very frequency dependent. It is much better to measure it. If you don´t need very high accuracy it is not difficult.
: If you need a high accuracy we can help you - we are working on a device doing all such measurements with high accuracy.

: W. Bicz

07:57 Oct-13-2000
paco
Re: Acoustic Absorption Coefficients : : Hi. Does anyone know of a good book on 'properties of material' that also contains information such as the acoustic absorption coeffiecinet for materials.

02:27 Mar-22-2002
Ales Globevnik
Re: Acoustic Absorption Coefficients Hellooo , I am also looking for absorption coefficients for materials. Please let me know if anybody know where can I found them.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|