where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Hector Guzman
Hector Guzman
04:55 Feb-10-1999
Acoustic Absorption Coefficients

Hi. Does anyone know of a good book on 'properties of material' that also contains information such as the acoustic absorption coeffiecinet for those materials. Specifically I would like to attain the absorption coefficients for polystyrene, polypropylene, and polyethylene.

-hector

Wies³aw Bicz
Wies³aw Bicz
01:14 Feb-10-1999
Re: Acoustic Absorption Coefficients
: Hi. Does anyone know of a good book on 'properties of material' that also contains information such as the acoustic absorption coeffiecinet for those materials. Specifically I would like to attain the absorption coefficients for polystyrene, polypropylene, and polyethylene.

: -hector

You can find this information in many books, but it wont help you very much. There are many kinds of plastics on the market, having
different properties. Absorbtion is also very frequency dependent. It is much better to measure it. If you don´t need very high accuracy it is not difficult.
If you need a high accuracy we can help you - we are working on a device doing all such measurements with high accuracy.

W. Bicz

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
05:13 Feb-10-1999

Grant Gordon
Grant Gordon
06:49 Feb-10-1999
Greetings Hector,
I have recently measured the frequency dependent attenuation values for polycarbonate, acrylic,
linear low density polyethylene, PVC, and a polybutadiene over the frequency range of 1.5 - 9 MHz.
These results are part of a paper to be published in the SPIE Conference proceedings
on Ultrasonic Transducer Engineering to be held in San Diego CA, 20-26 February, 1999. If you are
interested I will send you a hard copy via mail - the electronic file is quite large.
Sincerley
Grant Gordon

Robert A. Day
Engineering
Milky Way Jewels, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 40

Robert A. Day

Engineering
Milky Way Jewels,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
02:16 Feb-10-1999
: Hi. Does anyone know of a good book on 'properties of material' that also contains information such as the acoustic absorption coeffiecinet for those materials. Specifically I would like to attain the absorption coefficients for polystyrene, polypropylene, and polyethylene.

: -hector

I would also recommend Alan Selfridge's paper on measuring ultrasonic properties. His procedure is one of the best procedures for quick reasonably accurate measurements.

I would also warn you that polymers often have different acoustic properties depending on the conditions of manufacture. This includes thicknes as well as temperature and the actual chemistry used. It is essential to keep this in mind when making samples to measure. Thin layers are frequently different than the bulk.

gina
gina
06:13 Apr-01-2000
: Hi. Does anyone know of a site that will give me a list of materials and their absorption coefficients?

gina

yuksel guney
yuksel guney
01:42 May-08-2000
Re: Acoustic Absorption Coefficients of polyvinyldenefloride
: : Hi. Does anyone know of a good book on 'properties of material' that also contains information such as the acoustic absorption coeffiecinet for those materials. Specifically I would like to attain the absorption coefficients for polystyrene, polypropylene, and polyethylene.

: : -hector

: You can find this information in many books, but it wont help you very much. There are many kinds of plastics on the market, having
: different properties. Absorbtion is also very frequency dependent. It is much better to measure it. If you don´t need very high accuracy it is not difficult.
: If you need a high accuracy we can help you - we are working on a device doing all such measurements with high accuracy.

: W. Bicz

paco
paco
07:57 Oct-13-2000
: : Hi. Does anyone know of a good book on 'properties of material' that also contains information such as the acoustic absorption coeffiecinet for materials.

Ales Globevnik
Ales Globevnik
02:27 Mar-22-2002
Hellooo , I am also looking for absorption coefficients for materials. Please let me know if anybody know where can I found them.

Product Spotlight

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window