where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT before or after annealing of tubular products
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

04:17 Dec-15-2003
AMSNDt
NDT before or after annealing of tubular products

Can someone please direct me to a Standard or Practice that clearly states that NDT should be performed after HT processes or does it matter

Thanks

08:31 Dec-15-2003

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: NDT before or after annealing of tubular products ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can someone please direct me to a Standard or Practice that clearly states that NDT should be performed after HT processes or does it matter
: Thanks
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi,
Don't know of a standard that says NDT after HT, but it makes sense to test after HT.

HT can cause cracking in some circumstances, so you need to be sure that there are no cracks in the final product.

Depends to a great extent on the HT costs if you also test before HT.
For instance, if you test welds on a large vessel only after HT, and find a repair, then you have the HT costs again after repair.

If you test individual mass-produced small components, extra HT costs are not significant and before HT NDT can possibly be skipped.

Godfrey Hands

05:39 Dec-15-2003

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: NDT before or after annealing of tubular products Off-hand I can't give you the reference but many specifications do ask for NDT afte Heat Treatment only. Reason being that tight cracks which may be missed or fine cracks which may be produced due to stresses being redistributed will be detected.

Removal of scale after HT is important especially if PT is being tried.

Regards.

Swamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can someone please direct me to a Standard or Practice that clearly states that NDT should be performed after HT processes or does it matter

06:10 Dec-15-2003

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
Re: NDT before or after annealing of tubular products I am not familiar with an industry specification or standard that requires NDT after HT on tubulars. Some specific customers or fabricators may do so, but I have not seen a standard that does. I am sure that the material and part design will bear on whether or not it matters - in some cases post-HT NDT is not feasible when rework or removal of defects would result in scrapped tubes.

06:41 Dec-15-2003
DJ Kallhof
Re: NDT before or after annealing of tubular products ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Off-hand I can't give you the reference but many specifications do ask for NDT afte Heat Treatment only. Reason being that tight cracks which may be missed or fine cracks which may be produced due to stresses being redistributed will be detected.
: Removal of scale after HT is important especially if PT is being tried.
: Regards.
: Swamy
: : Can someone please direct me to a Standard or Practice that clearly states that NDT should be performed after HT processes or does it matter
: : Thanks
ASTM E 1417 Para. 6.8 Examination Sequence- Final penetrant examination shall be performed after completion of all operations that could... expose discontinuities... open to the surface. Such operations include... ,and heat treating.

07:35 Dec-15-2003

J O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: NDT before or after annealing of tubular products Purchase Order Specifications control. If a reference code is called out look there.

For example ASME B31.1 Chapter VI Para 341.3 (a) For P Nos 3, 4 and 5 materials , examination shall be performed after completion of any heat treatment.

Regards

03:23 Dec-16-2003
David Tamorron Musu
Re: NDT before or after annealing of tubular products Dear Mr. AMSNDt,

I did my final project in college about Failure Analysis of Dryer Shell Cracking. The research was done by checking the fracture, test the chemical composition, and simulate the cyclic thermal (Heat Treatment/HT) in the laboratory.

At HT variations (temperature & time), I simulated my specimen by quenching treatment every time after my HT is done. I also took macro & micro photographs, and then counted its boundary size using OPTIMAS 2000 computer program. To check the chemical composition, I used spectrophotometer testing.

Believe it or not... the result is that chemical composition now has different compared to the original one --> I think material selection is not available.

One thing I want sharing in this case of my final project result: HT simulation shows that increasing of thermal cyclic, temperature, and heating time causing reduction of ductility ---> This phenomena known as embrittlement.

Rgrds & God Bless

:Can someone please direct me to a Standard or Practice that clearly states that NDT should be performed after HT processes or does it matter

07:01 Dec-16-2003

Daniel Rice

Consultant, Ultrasonic Evaluation of Resistance Spot Welding
Daniel H. Rice Consulting Services,
USA,
Joined Jan 2003
: Dear Mr. AMSNDt,
: I did my final project in college about Failure Analysis of Dryer Shell Cracking. The research was done by checking the fracture, test the chemical composition, and simulate the cyclic thermal (Heat Treatment/HT) in the laboratory.
: At HT variations (temperature & time), I simulated my specimen by quenching treatment every time after my HT is done. I also took macro & micro photographs, and then counted its boundary size using OPTIMAS 2000 computer program. To check the chemical composition, I used spectrophotometer testing.
: Believe it or not... the result is that chemical composition now has different compared to the original one --> I think material selection is not available.
: One thing I want sharing in this case of my final project result: HT simulation shows that increasing of thermal cyclic, temperature, and heating time causing reduction of ductility ---> This phenomena known as embrittlement.
: Rgrds & God Bless
:
: : Can someone please direct me to a Standard or Practice that clearly states that NDT should be performed after HT processes or does it matter
: : Thanks

ASTM A609 States as most, ASTM standards inspection that the product should be inspected in the finished heat treated state.
I have learned the following, the finished heat treated state may induce cracking if improperly performed, or interupted. The heat treatment source may or may not know of the interuption or quenching of a improper heat treatment.
Example a supervisor, pulled heat treatment 1 hour early, which probably would have been ok! but, it was raining and the roof leaked where the fork truck driver placed the large wrought 4140 die casting. And, yes the die hardened, instead of softening, and the volosity increased,making a class 2 die a class 3 die.
Therefore with the liability of NDT and the political aspects of inspection. I would hope that inspection couldbe performed after final heat treatment. After all it is Nondestructive, right!!

08:50 Dec-16-2003

Mehmet Bal

Consultant
Turkey,
Joined Nov 2003
Re: NDT before or after annealing of tubular products Dear Mr. AMSNDT,
I can reference you ASTM E 1444-Magnetic Particle Examination Section 5-5: Examnination Sequence-When Magnatic Particle examination is specified it shall be performed after the completetion of operations that could cause surface or near surface defects. These operations include, but are not limited to, forging, heat treating, ...I hope that will help.
Good lucks
Mehmet Bal
: : Dear Mr. AMSNDt,
: : I did my final project in college about Failure Analysis of Dryer Shell Cracking. The research was done by checking the fracture, test the chemical composition, and simulate the cyclic thermal (Heat Treatment/HT) in the laboratory.
: : At HT variations (temperature & time), I simulated my specimen by quenching treatment every time after my HT is done. I also took macro & micro photographs, and then counted its boundary size using OPTIMAS 2000 computer program. To check the chemical composition, I used spectrophotometer testing.
: : Believe it or not... the result is that chemical composition now has different compared to the original one --> I think material selection is not available.
: : One thing I want sharing in this case of my final project result: HT simulation shows that increasing of thermal cyclic, temperature, and heating time causing reduction of ductility ---> This phenomena known as embrittlement.
: : Rgrds & God Bless
: :
: : : Can someone please direct me to a Standard or Practice that clearly states that NDT should be performed after HT processes or does it matter
: : : Thanks
: ASTM A609 States as most, ASTM standards inspection that the product should be inspected in the finished heat treated state.
: I have learned the following, the finished heat treated state may induce cracking if improperly performed, or interupted. The heat treatment source may or may not know of the interuption or quenching of a improper heat treatment.
: Example a supervisor, pulled heat treatment 1 hour early, which probably would have been ok! but, it was raining and the roof leaked where the fork truck driver placed the large wrought 4140 die casting. And, yes the die hardened, instead of softening, and the volosity increased,making a class 2 die a class 3 die.
: Therefore with the liability of NDT and the political aspects of inspection. I would hope that inspection could be performed after final heat treatment. After all it is Nondestructive, right!!

02:46 Dec-16-2003

steve hornby

NDT Inspector, NDT Manager
BAE SYSTEMS, SUBMARINES,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 2003

Hi using Naval Engineering Standards (NES)it is a requirement that all final NDE is undertaken after the component is in its final conddition ie after any subsequent heat treating process.

14:08 Jan-10-2017
Julius Achu
Re: NDT before or after annealing of tubular products In Reply to AMSNDt at 04:17 Dec-15-2003 (Opening).

Can someone tell me, if I do not perform NDT before HT can that lead me in to any failures or is a personal requirement, if I choose too or not too it’s my choice?

12:35 Jan-16-2017

Bruce McPherson

Consultant
MFL Services,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
Re: NDT before or after annealing of tubular products In Reply to AMSNDt at 04:17 Dec-15-2003 (Opening).

For oilfield tubulars which are manufactured in accordance wit API 5CT, API 5D API 7-1 and API 7-2 NDT shall be performed after all heat treatment has been completed.

Regard

Bruce McPherson

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|